Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

kath2

Posted Wed Oct 1st, 2008 4:58pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information
Hello, I don't want to spam you, but there are a few inaccuracies posted on this forum and as I'm working on this and I'd just like to clear them up so there's no confusion, as well as let you know about some promotional events.

The series will run on BBC1 at 9pm on Sundays from 12th October.

The previously posted synopsis is actually wrong and he doesn't meet those celebrities (King, Gates etc..). Instead he focuses more on meeting the real average Americans - not the celebs (well, there is Morgan Freeman's jazz club and Ted Turner's ranch, but basically it's about the citizens of America).

Here is the correct synopsis:
Britain’s comic genius, Stephen Fry, travels around each of America’s states in a London taxi in order to discover, in his own inimitable style, what makes the country unique and to get under the skin of American life.

His journey across the vast country takes him to a whiskey distillery in Kentucky; lava fields in Hawaii; an Amish community in Wisconsin and a brothel in Nevada, as well as hunting in New York State; sailing on an America’s Cup boat in Rhode Island; basket weaving with Navajo Indians and meeting environmental activists in Oregon.

Stephen is shown the country by its proud citizens as he drives across the continent uncovering the idiosyncrasies that makes each state individual and the similarities that make America distinct.

Also, here are some of the publicity events that Stephen Fry is working on to promote the book and series.

TV
Weds 01 Oct – The One Show 7-7.30pm
Thurs 02 Oct – This Morning 10-11am
Thurs 02 Oct – Channel 5 News 7pm

Book signings
Weds 01 Oct, 5pm Waterstones Kensington, 193 Kensington High St, London, W8 6SH
Thurs 02 Oct Waterstones Bath, 4-5 Milsom, St Bath, BA1 1DA, 5.30pm-6.30pm
Fri 03 Oct WHSmith Cheltenham, 192 -194 High At, Cheltenham, GL50 1EP.
Fri 03 Oct Waterstones Oxford, William Baker House, Broad St, Oxford, OX1 3AF, 5.00pm-6.00pm
Sat 04 Oct Stanfords, 12-14 Long Acre, Covent Garden, London, WC2E 9LP, 5.00pm-6.00pm

Press
Following last weekend's extracts in Saturday and Sunday Telegraph look out for:
Final Telegraph extract - Saturday 4th Oct, Travel section
GQ mag - Nov issue
Good Housekeeping - Dec issue
Radio Times - on sale 8 Oct for w/o 11th Oct edition
Independent Travel section - 4th Oct
Guardian Online

Radio
BBC Radio 4 – Front Row - Thurs 02 Oct 7.15
BBC Radio 3 – Nightwaves
BBC Radio 2 – Steve Wright Show Weds 01 Oct
Classic FM Guest List

Any queries about the series, just ask.
Katherine

ClareBear

Posted Wed Oct 1st, 2008 6:16pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information
stickied.

stephenfryagain

Posted Wed Oct 1st, 2008 7:33pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information
you can hear stephen fry on steve wrights show on the BBC iplayer - i clicked radio then radio 2 then went to page 3 and selected steve wright - then scroll thru the show to 2:38:47 mark and you'll hear the interview.

olivercross

Posted Wed Oct 1st, 2008 7:52pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information
Just finished watching The One Show, Stephen was bursting with knowledge as ever!

Soph

Posted Wed Oct 1st, 2008 8:24pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information
^I know, he can talk for England, the length of The One Show isn't quite long enough for Stephen, as far as I'm concerned. He always has a facsinating and imformative answer for everything, and I could listen to him all day long. Some really amusing bits and I was dreading Stephen being all 'for' shooting of deers, myself being vegetarian I didn't want to hear that. But what he said was quite pleasant. : ]

& Thanks for posting all this information !

Photobucket

ClareBear

Posted Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 10:00am Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information
Please check with the relevant venues for accurate times:

02 Oct Waterstones Bath 01225 448 515
03 Oct WH Smith Cheltenham 01242 584086
03 Oct Waterstones Oxford 01865 790 212
04 Oct Stanfords Covent Garden 020 7836 1321

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 2:04pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information
Yay Stephen's going to be on Classic FM. I wonder when? I can't find any info on tehir website. I listen to it all the time anyway so I may get lucky.

Assuming direct control...

AntonyJ

Posted Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 7:00pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information
The blu-ray release - anyone know if it is region free???
I have a US Playstation 3 but would love to get the UK blu-ray

stephenfryagain

Posted Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 7:08pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information
According to amazon.co.uk the Blu Ray will be released in the PAL format.

According to http://www.amazon.com/tag/playstation%203/forum?_e.....VYJ3TU0AHP It will not play on an US NTSC Playstation 3

AntonyJ

Posted Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 7:23pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information
Thanks for the reply, and the link, but that link talking about PAL encoded DVD's, my question was about the region coding of the blu-ray release.

Not being funny, but they are slightly different things.

I have bought several UK blu-ray release that are "all region" aka region free, and they work fine in my US PS3.

ArcadiaHouse

Posted Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 7:57pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information

I have just spent the past half hour watching Channel 4 News at 7pm, and when I realised my mistake, the other news had finished.

Gutted.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 8:30pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information

I have just spent the past half hour watching Channel 4 News at 7pm, and when I realised my mistake, the other news had finished.

Gutted.

Don't be. There was no Channel 5 news at all. Instead there was a football match on that started at 6:30 and it doesn't finish until 9 or 9.30 thereabouts.

Assuming direct control...

Squaredog

Posted Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 7:41am Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information
Not one, usually, to quibble - but are they really calling this a 'London taxi'? Maybe 20 years ago but these taxis are in every major UK city in the UK now aren't they. Why should London get a special mention? Oh I remember - its the BBC and London is the UK.

gjhsu

Posted Wed Oct 8th, 2008 6:44am Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information
Thanks for the reply, and the link, but that link talking about PAL encoded DVD's, my question was about the region coding of the blu-ray release.

I have bought several UK blu-ray release that are "all region" aka region free, and they work fine in my US PS3.

It is entirely up to the distributor as to whether they honor the region code or not. The net has turned up a large list of Internationally-sold Blu-ray discs that will and won't work on different region'd BD players.

Basically, it's a crap shoot until someone tries it and reports whether it will play or not. I know I will, even though the GBP rather outweighs the USD rather painfully

Caveat emptor.

stephenfryagain

Posted Thu Oct 9th, 2008 2:39pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information

It is entirely up to the distributor as to whether they honor the region code or not. The net has turned up a large list of Internationally-sold Blu-ray discs that will and won't work on different region'd BD players.

Basically, it's a crap shoot until someone tries it and reports whether it will play or not. I know I will, even though the GBP rather outweighs the USD rather painfully

Caveat emptor.

This Amazon.co.uk link clearly states that the Blu ray will be PAL http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stephen-Fry-America-Blu-ra.....amp;sr=8-1