Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

gjhsu

Posted Thu Oct 9th, 2008 7:59pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information

It is entirely up to the distributor as to whether they honor the region code or not. The net has turned up a large list of Internationally-sold Blu-ray discs that will and won't work on different region'd BD players.

Basically, it's a crap shoot until someone tries it and reports whether it will play or not. I know I will, even though the GBP rather outweighs the USD rather painfully

Caveat emptor.

This Amazon.co.uk link clearly states that the Blu ray will be PAL http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stephen-Fry-America-Blu-ra.....amp;sr=8-1

PAL refers to an analog audio/video output format, but Blu-ray is output at 720/1080p, which can TECHNICALLY be displayed anywhere in the world assuming the tv is capable of said resolution, subject to regional software encoding (the dreaded Region A, B, C, and D of BD).

I still hope BBC Video, or whoever will be distributing this, leaves region encoding well alone so that they can profit off of folks like myself who would like to see this type of programming and would otherwise not be able.

ishabluebell

Posted Tue Oct 14th, 2008 7:25pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information
Not one, usually, to quibble - but are they really calling this a 'London taxi'? Maybe 20 years ago but these taxis are in every major UK city in the UK now aren't they. Why should London get a special mention?

His own cab is an original black London taxi-cab. It would probably been too expensive & problematic trying to get it to the states, so they hired one & called it a London taxi-cab probably to try and keep the authenticity of Stephen's own cab.

I think black cabs were originally a London thing. When I was growing up in other parts of the UK in the 1950s they weren't black. I agree it wasn't accurate in the programme but I think they were trying to keep the reference to Stephen's own cab.

SheepishJaina

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 10:59pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information
I've been staying in the UK for the past couple of weeks, and was thrilled to be able to watch the show. I've purchased the book as well, but had a question concerning it. The version of "Steven Fry in America" being released in America is actually called "Stephen Fry in America: Fifty States and the Man Who Set Out to See Them All ". The version being realeased in Amercia is not slated to be released until May 2009, and has more pages than the UK vesion. Does anyone know if its a different version text-wise?

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 11:13pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information
I've been staying in the UK for the past couple of weeks, and was thrilled to be able to watch the show. I've purchased the book as well, but had a question concerning it. The version of "Steven Fry in America" being released in America is actually called "Stephen Fry in America: Fifty States and the Man Who Set Out to See Them All ". The version being realeased in Amercia is not slated to be released until May 2009, and has more pages than the UK vesion. Does anyone know if its a different version text-wise?

It may be a different sized book which would explain the different number of pages.

Assuming direct control...

jason

Posted Sun Nov 2nd, 2008 5:04pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information
Oohh I just got the Stephen Fry in America book for my birthday yesterday, and I was in my element !

Fantastic book!!

sparky170

Posted Sun Mar 15th, 2009 12:41pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information
Stephen visited LANL (Los Alamos Nuclear Laboratory) but his researchers failed to inform him the atom was first split in Christchurch, New Zealand by a man called Rutherford. A bit strange when you think about it. New Zealand is a nuclear free country and wont allow American Warships and Submarines into their waters because they might be nuclear powered.

Adie Weisz

Posted Mon Apr 13th, 2009 1:48am Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information
Thanks for the list of info, kath2:)

ladyfromhamburg

Posted Sun Jun 21st, 2009 1:48pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information
I didn't not yet know the cover of the paperback version of this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stephen-Fry-America/dp/000.....amp;sr=8-1

marjorie09

Posted Sat Oct 17th, 2009 3:30am Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information

stephenfryagain said:
you can hear stephen fry on steve wrights show on the BBC iplayer - i clicked radio then radio 2 then went to page 3 and selected steve wright - then scroll thru the show to 2:38:47 mark and you'll hear the interview.

thanks for that info, just finished watching, he is still full of knowledge ever! love that show

enraf

Posted Mon Nov 23rd, 2009 3:38am Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information

Stephen Fry in America (the book)
After waiting months for the release of this book (the US release date changed several times), I was very excited when it finally arrived. I find Stephen Fry very witty and have missed QI since moving from the UK to the US. However, the book Stephen Fry in America was very disappointing. While the content of this book was as charming and witty as I expected, there were many typing errors. It was very distracting. The editor was not very thorough and that has ruined the experience for me.

tiendunn732

Posted Sun Dec 6th, 2009 9:00am Post subject: Stephen Fry in America book/ film information

yah ... i ve seen the conversation on bbc... it was great and u cud see his intellect comin on to the table.... i even heard him on the radio .... he is a star....hehe