Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ginj

Member *

Posted Tue Sep 1st, 2009 10:04pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America on HDNet

My Fellow Americans No,seriously, US people, something called HDNet is going to show Stephen Fry in America. Here is the link. http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayReleaseContent.a.....amp;EDATE= HDNet is not available in my area. But if anyone does get it and has a DVD recorder, my email address is...

exoskeleton

Posted Thu Sep 3rd, 2009 4:08am Post subject: Stephen Fry in America on HDNet

*breathes* I have a not-that-outlandish plan so that I could watch this! that is so exciting!!! (I'm afraid I would not have recording powers though...)

thank you for letting me know, because I'm sure I'd have missed this otherwise!

PS. make sure to watch the previews that are linked that press release (if you are like me and have never seen it.) they are excellent and lovely! he gives a shampoo-voiceover smile at the Kentucky auctioneer! and the Delaware town that he's landing in, I went on a vacation there when I was very small-- it was the only time I've been in the ocean in my life! Mary-land. OK...I like this show.

sockdolager.

ginj

Member *

Posted Thu Sep 3rd, 2009 6:37pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America on HDNet

Thanks for pointing out the videos, exo, I hadn't noticed them before. Is he on the Cape May ferry? Do you mean I could have taken the Cape May-Lewes ferry with Stephen? Aaaaaaa.

And, don't want to get myself too excited, but two of my co-workers have HDNet (they have Fios). But neither of them have DVD recorders (just DVRs, but not a DVD that they can burn and give to their favorite co-worker ). But we have a little over two weeks to work this out. Think positive.

ginj

Member *

Posted Thu Sep 24th, 2009 7:34pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America on HDNet

Did anyone get a chance to see this? Well, my co-worker did DVR it on Tuesday, but she is unable to get it onto a DVD (her husband has spent two days trying to do so), so I still won't be able to see this. Oh well, I guess I don't need to know anything about America.

jlunario

Posted Tue Oct 27th, 2009 4:59am Post subject: Stephen Fry in America on HDNet

I watch your show every Sunday morning on HDNet I love it, yesterday you were in Tucson where I live. Quite fascinating these Saguaros aren't they?? What time of year where you in Tucson filming I hope not in July or August? HOT HOT HOT

Ellisonx

Posted Sat Oct 31st, 2009 9:53pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America on HDNet

I found the series very enjoyable. It's interesting to see one's own country from another point of view. I've been fortunate enough to have traveled quite a bit throughout the US, and have lived for periods of time in the southwest (Phoenix & Tucson), the far west (San Francisco & Sacramento), the south (Georgia & Alabama), and the Northeast (Connecticut & Michigan) - I currently live in CT.
It sounds trite, but my heart still belongs to San Francisco and the episode which ends with Mr Fry walking on Ocean Beach actually made me cry. I've spent so many hours there...playing in the water with my dogs, gathering Sand Dollars, or just sitting there, looking out at the endless ocean.

thanks for reviving memories of places I've lived or visited, and for introducing me to places I may yet visit.

cheers!

Boatswainsmate

Posted Mon Nov 2nd, 2009 1:01am Post subject: Stephen Fry in America on HDNet

My favorite scene is when, on top of all the hoopla at the football game, three jets in formation fly over. What more can be said? Also loved Mr. Fry doing the straddle at the border of Canada. I wouldn't want to know someone who was too worldly to do that.
Of course it's disappointing that the BBC would only do six episodes. Heck, I've seen more than six episodes about just one of Henry VIII's wives. How do they expect people to get a feel for six or seven states in the same amount of time they devote to just the garden portion of one stately house?
What the time constraints allowed, though, was very enjoyable.

aggy

Posted Wed Nov 4th, 2009 3:37am Post subject: Stephen Fry in America on HDNet

Dear Mr. Fry,

I sincerely enjoyed both the book and television series. Might I suggest, however, that in future you save such annoying and subjective (not to mention tiresomely trendy) quips about religion (or rather, the only acceptable religion open to criticism, Christianity) for either a comprehensive work outlining your argument in not so flippant and non-discursive terms or the utterly mundane and 'sexy' conversations those inclined to religion bashing conduct hourly with modern day heroes such as Hitchens, Dawkins, and Harris.

Just a suggestion. It might separate you from the pack and restore some faith (sorry for mentioning the possibility) in the stolid reasoning of supposed modern intellectuals.

TobiasMonk

Posted Fri Nov 6th, 2009 5:32pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America on HDNet

I have a suggestion as well, and that is to begin a new thread for your post because it doesn't really belong on this one. Even though your first sentence mentions the series, it's a poorly veiled segway for what you're really on about, which I believe may be the Catholicism debate.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

gjhsu

Posted Fri Nov 6th, 2009 6:16pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America on HDNet

I checked the local PBS schedule, and there are no plans for SFiA in Austin

TobiasMonk

Posted Fri Nov 6th, 2009 6:42pm Post subject: Stephen Fry in America on HDNet

Same with KERA in Dallas and PBS Houston. Bastardos.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman