Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Help

Posted Thu Apr 23rd, 2009 11:49am Post subject: Stephen Fry should be made patron saint of England?
"Comic Stephen Fry should replace St George as patron saint of England, according to a poll.
It was one of the wacky ideas from a survey of 7,000 users of social website MySpace.

London-born Fry, 51, has taken many typically English roles in TV shows such as Blackadder and Jeeves & Wooster.

The survey also called for the Sex Pistols’ 1977 punk single God Save The Queen to be the English anthem even though it attacks respect for the Crown.

Other ideas for a “radical refresh” of St George’s Day included making it a public holiday.

Most who took part in the survey believed the day should be more widely celebrated to stop it losing its relevance."

What do y'all think?

ginj

Member *

Posted Thu Apr 23rd, 2009 1:15pm Post subject: Stephen Fry should be made patron saint of England?
X-D I love Stephen but couldn't imagine him being "patron saint" of anything. But I see the poll also called for making St. George's Day a national holiday. So if we put both of these ideas together, it would mean they should make Stephen's birthday an national holiday. Now that is an idea I like.

Rain Dog

Posted Thu Apr 23rd, 2009 8:15pm Post subject: Stephen Fry should be made patron saint of England?
So if we put both of these ideas together, it would mean they should make Stephen's birthday an national holiday. Now that is an idea I like.

I like that too.

Maxx England

Posted Thu Apr 23rd, 2009 8:26pm Post subject: Stephen Fry should be made patron saint of England?
To be a saint required some religious body ratifying it. Not impossible, but a mental hoop to be jumped through, beatifying a highly public atheist.

Anyway, every 7 days we already get a Fryday, what do you need more for?

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Nostradormouse

Posted Sun Apr 26th, 2009 12:23pm Post subject: Stephen Fry should be made patron saint of England?
"Comic Stephen Fry"? "Comic" wouldn't make it into my top 20 list of Stephen Fry descriptors. Or even my top 50.

Canonisation is the bailiwick of the Vatican; somewhere as post-religious as the UK we prefer our Saints secular.

A show of hands please; would anyone object to Stephen Fry as "Patron Saint of English" if we can have it done on the authority of the Oxford English Dictionary?

...or perhaps an Avatar might be a more appropriate laurel? I'd have suggest he be made an Icon, but after the first few hundred times being clicked on by strangers, the joke would wear pretty thin.

So an Avatar it is.

At the risk of cross-kinesthesia, do I hear a second?

<Aside>I bet this guy gets more people trying to write self-consciously smart-arsed homages than any man alive.</Aside>

PamJH

Posted Sun Apr 26th, 2009 2:26pm Post subject: Stephen Fry should be made patron saint of England?

<Aside>I bet this guy gets more people trying to write self-consciously smart-arsed homages than any man alive.</Aside>

I agree completely. I keep a dictionary and thesaurus on hand when I fiddle around on the forum. That's quite lame of me.

Corona

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 5:35pm Post subject: Stephen Fry should be made patron saint of England?
I vote for Saint Stephen. I pray for a man like him in my life. It hasnt happened yet though.