Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

davidzzz

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 10:38pm Post subject: Stephen Fry wants to be Jeeves once again...
London, May 1 : British actor Stephen Fry would like nothing better than another turn in another TV revival of PG Woodhouse's literary character Jeeves and Wooster.

The actor, who starred alongside actor Hugh Laurie in the ITV adaptation 14 years ago, thinks that it would be fun to visit the characters once again, and see how age had transformed them.

While Laurie played gentleman Bertie Wooster, Fry played his valet Jeeves.

"It has been so many years but I have a great affection for that show. It would be nice to see them in older years," the Daily Express quoted him, as saying.

Now starring in the hit ITV show 'Kingdom', Fry was in his early 30s when the 'Jeeves and Wooster' was first shown in 1990.

At the time, though critics were apprehensive that he was too young to play Jeeves, Fry soon won them over.

ClareBear

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 10:43pm Post subject: Stephen Fry wants to be Jeeves once again...
I would welcome this.

Secret Princess

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 10:48pm Post subject: Stephen Fry wants to be Jeeves once again...
Me too, I still watch the repeats on ITV4, would love to see new ones

Is it worth reading the books?

ClareBear

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 10:49pm Post subject: Stephen Fry wants to be Jeeves once again...
Most definitely.

Secret Princess

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 10:58pm Post subject: Stephen Fry wants to be Jeeves once again...
Fantastic, I always prefer reading to watching...unless its someone I like ie Stephen Fry

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 11:45pm Post subject: Stephen Fry wants to be Jeeves once again...
I would like to see that. It could be really good. I've been saying it to my boyfriend that it'd be cool if they brought J&W back with Fry and Laurie in the roles only older. I'd really like to see this being made.

Assuming direct control...

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 8:17am Post subject: Stephen Fry wants to be Jeeves once again...
That would be fantastic - fantastically fantastic in fact
Roll on Bank Holiday Jeeves & Wooster Weekend

Soupy Twist

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 9:10am Post subject: Stephen Fry wants to be Jeeves once again...
I'd love to see them as Jeeves and Wooster again, provided the scripts depicting an aged Bertie and Jeeves were 'true' to the Wodehousian world and spirit.
By the way, Hugh Laurie once mentioned in an interview that he'd love to play Lord Emsworth. Now that would be brilliant!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 12:36pm Post subject: Stephen Fry wants to be Jeeves once again...
They'd definatly need to get a good writer in. It needs to feel like Wodehouse. To feel like you're watching Jeeves & Wooster. It shouldn't feel like a souless add-on.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 3:08pm Post subject: Stephen Fry wants to be Jeeves once again...
Hmmm. I really don't know what to think about this. My fanboy side is all SQUEEEE, etc. My cynical side is thinking about how dreadful reunion shows are. (Blackadder Back and Forth notwithstanding.) Didn't they stop making them in their prime because they ran out of stories? So if they do do it again, will they recreate the episodes or try to get a Wodehousian wannabe to scribble down some new scrapes for Bertie? All this conjecture is probably fruitless since this probably won't come to fruition. Sorry that sentence was a little fruity.

Anyway, I don't want to see Bertie grown up.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

absolutely curtains

Posted Fri May 4th, 2007 5:45pm Post subject: Stephen Fry wants to be Jeeves once again...
The actor, who starred alongside actor Hugh Laurie in the ITV adaptation 14 years ago, thinks that it would be fun to visit the characters once again, and see how age had transformed them.

I reckon it would be best if age hadn't transformed them because, as Fryphile said, I don't want to see Bertie all sensible and responsible and grown up. But it would be great to see how they'd fit in with modern society... T'would be amazing.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat May 5th, 2007 1:00pm Post subject: Stephen Fry wants to be Jeeves once again...
I wouldn't want to see Bertie grown up either, older yeah but not to see that he's become sensible and boring. I want him to be child-like forever.

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat May 5th, 2007 3:37pm Post subject: Stephen Fry wants to be Jeeves once again...
Me too. He wouldn't be Bertie anymore. It seems to be his fate always to remain childish, spoilt, unmarried, helpful, likeable and like a puppy. Just as his friends are supposed to remain stupid all their lives. There would be one enormous downside to an aged Jeeves and Wooster, though. There would be no more aunts around.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat May 5th, 2007 3:49pm Post subject: Stephen Fry wants to be Jeeves once again...
No, no more aunts and uncles, but instead the children that made appearances in J&W stories will have grown up and could have new roles to play.

They just couldn't change Bertie's personality, he needs to be innocent and naive. That's what makes Bertie, Bertie. It adds to the dynamic between him and Jeeves. Jeeves needs to look after him, protect him and get him out of trouble. If Bertie 'grew up' that would affect their relationship.

Betsie

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 4:06pm Post subject: Stephen Fry wants to be Jeeves once again...
That would be fantastic - fantastically fantastic in fact

X-D X-D X-D

I wonder - what if Stephen wrote it? He certainly has the flavor of Wodehouse after all these years. And I have yet to be disappointed by the fruits of his pen.