Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Emma18

Posted Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 11:44pm Post subject: Stephen has written a script for 'Cinderella'
Stephen has written a script for a production of 'Cinderella', due to be performed this Christmas Here's what it said in an article in The Times:-

'He is a celebrated actor, director, comedian, quizmaster, novelist, documentary-maker, conservationist, ex-jailbird and all-round good egg, but until yesterday there was a curious gap in Stephen Fry’s formidable professional CV: pantomime.
Not any more. Kevin Spacey, the artistic director of the Old Vic confirmed that Fry has written a “naughty” but family-friendly Cinderella for his theatre this Christmas.
It is the quintessentially British, innuendo-loving Fry’s first stab at the quintessentially British, innuendo-laden format since his Cambridge University days, when he co-wrote the Footlights pantomime with Hugh Laurie.
He said that he had rejoiced in the opportunity to embrace the “transcendently peculiar form of pantomime”.
“Citizens of other nations look on with wonder, pity, contempt envy or disgust according to temperament. It is one of many British things that foreigners just don’t get.
“Never mind. I’ve delivered a script for Cinderella which I hope ticks all the necessary panto boxes: transformation scene, community song, unspeakable jokes along with songs, slapstick, rewards for the good and punishment for the wicked.
“Being Cinderella there are naturally Ugly Sisters, a Fairy Godmother a Prince Charming, a Dandini and a Buttons. No Baron Hardup or Brokers Men, which might disappoint some hard-line traditionalists, but damn it, surely I can be allowed some leeway.”
Fry’s most famous theatrical moment came as an actor in 1995 when he walked out on a production of Cell Mates only a few days into its West End run and fled to Belgium.
He has a more successful record as a dramatist. Latin, his first play, won a Fringe First award at the Edinburgh Festival in 1980 and his adaptation of the musical Me and My Girl made him a millionaire in his twenties.
Pantomime, however, presented a particular challenge, because it provides the first experience that most Britons have of the theatre, he said.
“I’ve tried to remember that for many of the children who come it will be their first Cinderella, their first pantomime and their first visit to a theatre, and that for many adults it will be their first return to pantomime since their own childhoods.
“Pantomime should be the beginning of a never-ending love affair with theatre. Oh yes it should. It may sound wearyingly like an attempt to be cool, hip and relevant to say that pantomime is interactive, but as something of a computer and gadget geek, I’ve yet to find any gizmo from the digital age that can match pantomime for genuine interactivity.
“ ‘Look behind you’ and ‘Oh no it isn’t’ still can’t be beat for getting a child involved – not by a wilderness of Wiis and Playstations.”
Speaking from New York, Spacey said that he had signed Fry over breakfast in the Savoy Hotel last year. “I think it was in the back of his mind but no one had ever asked him before. We were lucky because we got him first. I happen to think he’s a genius.” He also promised that Cinderella would maintain a risqué tone. “Part of the tradition is that it is naughty and I can tell you that Stephen’s is naughty. In particular the lyrics to some of the songs are just outrageous.” '

Just incase anyone wanted to know

ClareBear

Posted Mon Jun 4th, 2007 12:21am Post subject: Stephen has written a script for 'Cinderella'
Just another excuse to pop down to London in December.

melampus

Posted Mon Jun 4th, 2007 9:15am Post subject: Stephen has written a script for 'Cinderella'
Right about now I really hate being in Australia. *slaps forehead, swoons in anguish*

Daria

Posted Mon Jun 4th, 2007 7:40pm Post subject: Stephen has written a script for 'Cinderella'
That´s sounds fantastic.

Trip to London in December?!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Jun 5th, 2007 1:39pm Post subject: Stephen has written a script for 'Cinderella'
He also promised that Cinderella would maintain a risqué tone. “Part of the tradition is that it is naughty and I can tell you that Stephen’s is naughty. In particular the lyrics to some of the songs are just outrageous.” '

That is sooo cool. I wanna see, but it probably won't happen so I'd be happy if they released the script or something. It would be cool just being able to read it.

Assuming direct control...

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Thu Jun 14th, 2007 12:58pm Post subject: Stephen has written a script for 'Cinderella'
Did anyone see the interview with Kevin Spacey on the ITV1 London news yesterday evening? Kevin was quite excited about the new production of Cinderella and mentioned that "Stephen writes so fast" and that Cinderella was "exceedingly naughty" (I hope I got that one right :-// )
I suppose it would be wise to keep an eye on the Old Vic website in oder to be able to respond immediately when tickets go on sale - they might be sold our VERY QUICKLY

Just_a_Norwegian

Posted Sat Jun 16th, 2007 11:20pm Post subject: Stephen has written a script for 'Cinderella'
Does anyone know WHEN/WHERE they start selling tickets?

EDIT!
YAY! It starts TOMORROW!

http://www.oldvictheatre.com/whatson.php?id=37

ClareBear

Posted Sun Jun 17th, 2007 12:25am Post subject: Stephen has written a script for 'Cinderella'
wanna make a meet-up type thing of it?

Just_a_Norwegian

Posted Sun Jun 17th, 2007 6:21pm Post subject: Stephen has written a script for 'Cinderella'
Would be cool, but I have NO idea when to go yet.. (probably have an examn in december somewhere...) hope they don't sell out fast..

Tickets are 40/35£ btw.. and 12£ "Under 25's" (does it mean under the age of 25?? Weird..)

ClareBear

Posted Sun Jun 17th, 2007 7:56pm Post subject: Stephen has written a script for 'Cinderella'
Ooo...Under 25's

ShaylaMorris

Posted Mon Jun 18th, 2007 5:41pm Post subject: Stephen has written a script for 'Cinderella'
If it's a meet up please post the date here please. I might get class credit for attending.

Emma18

Posted Mon Jun 18th, 2007 6:38pm Post subject: Stephen has written a script for 'Cinderella'
That sounds like a good idea Atari

ysabella

Posted Mon Jun 18th, 2007 11:28pm Post subject: Stephen has written a script for 'Cinderella'
Sounds great! You guys will have to tell us all about it.

And despite being American, I'm familiar with panto. I have even been in one.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Mon Jun 25th, 2007 11:12am Post subject: Stephen has written a script for 'Cinderella'
"Cinderella" will also be performed at the Wycombe Swan from 7 December - what a strange coincidence
Could it be that this performance will be based on Stephen´s script as well (wishful thinking...), or does the Old Vic have "exclusive rights" to it for the time being (probably the silliest question ever asked :-// )

By the way, Jimmy Carr will also grace the Wycombe Swan sometime in October I think....

Shyamz

Posted Thu Jul 12th, 2007 12:15am Post subject: Stephen has written a script for 'Cinderella'
Oh GOD NO I hate musicals!!! :'(