Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

tonymurphy

Posted Fri Mar 7th, 2008 10:30pm Post subject: Stephen knows the meaning of the ultimate answer...
I spotted an interesting quote from Mr Fry in an article on the BBC News website about the 30th anniversary of the first broadcast of Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy.

BBC News Story

Tragically, Douglas Adams died in 2001. So what does Stephen Fry, a close friend, voice of the audiobook, and possibly one of the most intelligent admirers of The Hitchhiker's Guide think?

"Of course, it would be unfair for me to comment," he confides. "Douglas told me in the strictest confidence exactly why 42. The answer is fascinating, extraordinary and, when you think hard about it, completely obvious. Nonetheless amazing for that.

"Remarkable really. But sadly I cannot share it with anyone and the secret must go with me to the grave. Pity, because it explains so much beyond the books. It really does explain the secret of life, the universe, and everything."

It's got me wondering again what it's all about...

Tony

whatonearth

Posted Fri Mar 7th, 2008 11:30pm Post subject: Stephen knows the meaning of the ultimate answer...
Sounds like the literary equivalent of the unsubtitled part of the man's speech in Radiohead's Just video.

JSKanga84

Posted Sat Mar 8th, 2008 12:25am Post subject: Stephen knows the meaning of the ultimate answer...
Douglas Adams was 42 when his daughter was born, which is kind of interesting. If this had happened pre-1977 instead of in 1994, I'd say that was what '42' meant. Unfortunately it's in the wrong order for that to be the answer, but it's still kind of cool.

moochy

Posted Sat Mar 8th, 2008 8:59am Post subject: Stephen knows the meaning of the ultimate answer...
Your not the only one wondering. I think it's probably something ridiculously simple that if we did find out we'd be disappointed. Maybe it's better to wonder.

Catt_H

Posted Sat Sep 13th, 2008 10:06pm Post subject: Stephen knows the meaning of the ultimate answer...
6 times 7

lol

4orty2

Posted Sat Sep 13th, 2008 11:43pm Post subject: Stephen knows the meaning of the ultimate answer...
It's me!

Bluer

Posted Fri Sep 26th, 2008 4:53pm Post subject: Stephen knows the meaning of the ultimate answer...
I agree with Moochy, I'm sure that it isn't anything complicated, only when trying to explain something so simple. I have a few simple ideas:

It could be that it is to show that everyone is searching for the answer so much that they won't be happy when they find it, especially if it is so simple as 42, and will continue to find the answer even if it is there for them all to see.

Another idea is to do with what JSKanga84 said, about his daughter being born when he was 42; It could be that he meant it was the meaning of HIS life, because his daughter is so special to him.

Another is that he wanted to express that people will ponder anything if it is displayed to them in a certain manner, such as this number in his books. The number 42 probably has no meaning and shows that we're always trying to find the secret of life and discover why we exist, instead of just accepting our existence and having radical ideas like religion (after all he was an atheist.)

Maxx England

Posted Sat Sep 27th, 2008 11:57am Post subject: Stephen knows the meaning of the ultimate answer...
Why are we here? I can do no better than quote Eccles, from the Goon Show:

"Everybody gotta be somewhere"

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

olivercross

Posted Sun Sep 28th, 2008 1:08pm Post subject: Stephen knows the meaning of the ultimate answer...
Maybe it has nothing to do with anything and Douglas Adams chose the number completely at random and just enjoyed watching and hearing people ponder and slave over why the answer to everything is 42?

Obviously though, if there was ever a meaning or number to life it would be the number one. Try and work that one out

maitland

Posted Thu Oct 9th, 2008 5:38pm Post subject: Stephen knows the meaning of the ultimate answer...
Yes, I agree it could be a random number - which does explain the universe and so on.

The Duke of Dunstable

Posted Thu Oct 9th, 2008 11:14pm Post subject: Stephen knows the meaning of the ultimate answer...
What it is is Stephen being a tease. And a funny one at that.

I remember Douglas telling of a press conference he made in Australia once, and this woman in the audience kept bugging him with questions about 42. Turned out she had literally formed a cult around it and had to be dragged out of the room by security screaming prophecies...

Bluer

Posted Fri Oct 10th, 2008 5:16pm Post subject: Stephen knows the meaning of the ultimate answer...
Crazy how many people are affected by one man saying a number.

Or is that what he intended!?!?!

maitland

Posted Fri Oct 10th, 2008 7:40pm Post subject: Stephen knows the meaning of the ultimate answer...
If you check wikipedia it says its randomly chosen number