Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

RobertBruce

Posted Fri Feb 6th, 2009 2:54pm Post subject: Stephen talking about twitter
We all tend to forget in our selfishness, that a star like Stephen is not legally obligated to respond to any of us.

What helps in getting the attention of a celebrity like Stephen is content.

If you can't string two words together to make up a decent 140 character conversation which might be of interest to the celebrity, then please do not bother.

Why? Because you are only wasting your time and energy and also needlessly wasting Stephen's time too. Plus, if you know you will not get a response - then for pity's sake why persist in just saying 'ello?

Sorry, the above is harsh but true. Say something very pertinent to what interest's the celebrity. In Stephen's case it is Wilde or depression or a pet charity project you might have that could dovetail with a project he is supporting in Boputhatswana or Peru.

In summary - be interesting and do not EXPECT a response. If you do get a response then hey, you've succeeded where thousands fail. And that makes you special. Yes?.

Be interesting. Content rules OK?

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Fri Feb 6th, 2009 3:14pm Post subject: Stephen talking about twitter
I agree with what RobertBruce said: Content, content, con . . . what for it . . . hut. I mean tent. However, Stephen has tossed out a few quick tweets to those who have asked. However pt 2, that tweeter is a bit OTP.

Like Soph said, I live in shuddering fear of getting tweetslapped with http://www.stephenfry.com/blog/2009/01/29/twitter/

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

RobertBruce

Posted Fri Feb 6th, 2009 7:03pm Post subject: Stephen talking about twitter
Yeah! Rock on Fryphile.

As the man himself says in point 4 of Twweting blog:

4. Please don’t be offended if you Tweet or DM me with a direct question and hear nothing back: as you can imagine it is very easy for me to miss the traffic of tweets. Incidentally, while I like to be DM-ed, public tweeting and replies are the default and preferred way to use the service: save DMs for genuinely private or personal messages. Although I will often myself respond to a public tweet with a private DM, you can choose to reply through either channel.

From the man himself and not via the grapevine. I would add the 'content is king' rule. Difficult with only 140 characters but thems the rules and all we have to be as interesting as all heck with!

RobertBruce

Posted Fri Feb 6th, 2009 10:57pm Post subject: Stephen talking about twitter
You will do well to remember that we are communicating with an ex Queens College, Cambridge person where multi-tasking was repressed in favour of The Cambridge Footlights and other intense cerebral activities!

So a Cambridge graduate being expected to answer a zillion Tweets will find it absolutely impossible to do.

Except for Oxford graduates of course who find the task is eminently possible and easy!

gadgetgirl

Posted Sat Feb 7th, 2009 12:04am Post subject: Stephen talking about twitter
If content is the key then I'm doomed. I just tend to twitter the eternal random ramblings of my brain. X-D

And, despite being a woman, I am shit at multi-tasking.

That would be me.

dumbledore

Posted Mon Feb 9th, 2009 8:57pm Post subject: Stephen talking about twitter
I agree, I live in fear of getting tweetslapped - some how it seems worse coming from Stephen , especially as every other time I've seen/read an interview with him or one of the documentaries he's done (Manic Depression/SF in America/Spectacled Bear), he is so unbelievably kind, gentle and good natured, that it's such a shock to see him lose his rag. Having said which though I'm sure if I got upwards of 150,000 followers,I'd be tempted to switch off my PC & chuck my mobile out the window! X-D X-D X-D

CAFR

Posted Tue Feb 10th, 2009 2:12pm Post subject: Stephen talking about twitter
My Uncle hates anything like this usually, and even he's now thinking of signing up to Twitter to follow Stephen. He was especially amused when I told him that Stephen had recently been twittering (tweeting?) from a lift he'd got stuck in.

RobertBruce

Posted Wed Feb 11th, 2009 3:18pm Post subject: Stephen talking about twitter
My Uncle was especially amused when I told him that Stephen had recently been twittering (tweeting?) from a lift he'd got stuck in.

Incredible what oldies like Stephen can learn to do nowdays innit....?! There must be hope for all. X-D