Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Fri Apr 13th, 2007 10:20pm Post subject: Stephen's a Busy Boy
Three new documentaries

Iostar, the media group set up by former Hallmark executive Mark Grenside, has showcased its first productions at the MiPTV festival in Cannes, including three BBC documentaries fronted by Stephen Fry.

Stephen Fry in America is a five-part 'road trip' which sees Fry driving round the US in a London taxi and Last Chance to See sees him team up with zoologist Mark Carwardine to track down species facing extinction.

Following the success and praise of the BBC Two and IWC Media production The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive, which saw Fry exploring his own struggle with bi-polar disorder, he will now front HIV and Me, a two-part doc focusing on people whose lives have been affected by the disease, including his close friends.

The programmes are believed to have been produced in association with Fry's own production company Sprout. Fry and his production partner Gina Carter are registered to attend the Cannes event.

Other Iostar factual programming includes a Reader's Digest-funded wildlife series Animals Are Amazing, the rebuilding of a mosque in Jerusalem in Stairway to Heaven and They Ruled The World, a 12-part series about the kings and rulers of former empires.

The company's new chief executive Dawn Airey, the former Sky managing director, and chairman Dick Emery, are due to attend the MiPTV festival with Iostar Distribution president Erik Pack and Iostar Factual president Andre Singer.

Stephen in America makes me deliriously happy. Pick me up!

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

AxmxZ

Posted Fri Apr 13th, 2007 10:26pm Post subject: Stephen's a Busy Boy

Stephen in America makes me deliriously happy. Pick me up!

*weighs the odds of Stephen swinging by Chicago*

*wags tail with cautious anticipation*

Lovely Jane

Posted Fri Apr 13th, 2007 11:51pm Post subject: Stephen's a Busy Boy

Stephen Fry in America is a five-part 'road trip' which sees Fry driving round the US in a London taxi and Last Chance to See sees him team up with zoologist Mark Carwardine to track down species facing extinction.

He mused about this months if not years ago (somewhere during a douglas adams related chat). Great! I'm really looking forward to this. Carwardine had worked with adams on "last chance to see", too.

edit: found a link: http://www.anotherchancetosee.com/

I once owned the book. No - wait- I once BORROWED the book and eventually the owner wanted it back, dammit. It was great!

And he had told the taxi-thing to a south-african cab-driver didn't he? (who of course blogged it at once)

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sat Apr 14th, 2007 12:01am Post subject: Stephen's a Busy Boy

And he had told the taxi-thing to a south-african cab-driver didn't he? (who of course blogged it at once)

I had heard about it from this guy.

WARNING: Do Not Look Directly at Stephen's Shirt and Tie. Your eyes could ignite.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Lovely Jane

Posted Sat Apr 14th, 2007 12:04am Post subject: Stephen's a Busy Boy
ah, yeah now I remember, not quite south africa then .

Well, you're eyes won't ignite but maybe you will suffer an epileptic fit

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 2:29pm Post subject: Stephen's a Busy Boy
Wow if he's doing all that how's he going to find the time to film QI and Kingdom (if he is indeed doing a second series as the media are saying).

I like the sound of the endangered species documentary the most. It should be really interesting.

The programmes are believed to have been produced in association with Fry's own production company Sprout. Fry and his production partner Gina Carter are registered to attend the Cannes event.

Awww Sprout. ^_^

Assuming direct control...

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 2:03pm Post subject: Stephen's a Busy Boy
Found this old interview - Star Man: Stephen Fry - 'People think I am a ghastly poof.'

It's from 2003, quite interesting and near the bottom it mentions:

What are you up to next?

There may be a documentary series where I basically go around the world in a taxi, meeting world leaders and interviewing them in the back of my cab. I actually drive a black cab in London and I can't recommend it highly enough. It's wonderfully anonymous because nobody looks twice at taxi drivers, and I'm not saying I use bus lanes, but you do get around town much quicker.

It look's like he's been planning on using that taxi cab for a documentary for a long time!

Which of the voices for the Harry Potter talking books do you like doing the most?

I do enjoy the soft wisdom of Dumbledore, but Dobby the house elf in The Chamber Of Secrets was good fun too. Actually, I enjoy Hermione as well. And Hagrid. And Lucius Malfoy - damn it, they're all good fun.

This just makes me want to listen to the Harry Potter audio books more than ever! I haven't even heard one yet, I'd love to hear Stephen's voices for the characters.

Assuming direct control...

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 2:42pm Post subject: Stephen's a Busy Boy
I'm off to Australia and New Zealand soon to promote Bright Young Things, so hopefully Daniel and I are going to have a few days off at the Great Barrier Reef. It will be splendid to have some quality time together in Oz.

Daniel = MADE OF AWWWWWWSOME

Lovely Jane

Posted Mon Jun 11th, 2007 3:55pm Post subject: Stephen's a Busy Boy

Daniel = MADE OF AWWWWWWSOME

maybe we're getting into trouble

but they're be a couple for about 11 years now, aren't they?

hopefully as happy as ever...