Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Elspeth

Posted Thu Oct 30th, 2008 3:27pm Post subject: Stephen's comment about his usefulness
I watched last week's episode when, at the end of visiting the Body Farm, Stephen said that he would consider donating his own remains to such work, so he could do something useful - for he hadn't in life. This made me feel really sad and I would like to convey to you Stephen that you has already contributed much.

I am mentioning it in article (actually about Wikipedia) that I'm writing online for Associated Content, but I realise you are more likely to see it here than there. I realise you see few of these personally but hope your administrators pass this on to you.

harbour

Posted Sat Nov 8th, 2008 4:22pm Post subject: Stephen's comment about his usefulness
I couldn't agree with you more, Elspeth. I find his modesty so attractive and simultaneously self-depricating. If anyone was ever entitled to be full of himself or have an ego the size of Manchester it is Stephen. And yet he still considers himself a worthless failure at times. But this is such a fundamental part of his charachter, I wouldn't want him to change it even in the slightest.

I wonder if he'll ever know what an exemplary human being he is. If there were more people like him in positions of power, imagine what a difference it would make in the world.

The man ought to be cloned for the good of humankind.

TargemQ8

Posted Sun Nov 9th, 2008 4:15am Post subject: Stephen's comment about his usefulness
Although I agree that Mr. Fry has given far more to the world than he himself is willing to believe, having seen this particular moment today, I think he is more specifically referring to his actual body, not himself as a person.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Nov 11th, 2008 10:52pm Post subject: Stephen's comment about his usefulness
I couldn't agree with you more, Elspeth. I find his modesty so attractive and simultaneously self-depricating. If anyone was ever entitled to be full of himself or have an ego the size of Manchester it is Stephen. And yet he still considers himself a worthless failure at times. But this is such a fundamental part of his charachter, I wouldn't want him to change it even in the slightest.

I wonder if he'll ever know what an exemplary human being he is. If there were more people like him in positions of power, imagine what a difference it would make in the world.

The man ought to be cloned for the good of humankind.

I find his modesty very attractive too though I also get sad when he puts himself down too much like his describing himself as a "binliner full of yoghurt" in an interview. I wouldn't want him to change though and get an ego. He's special the way he is because he doesn't have his head up his arse.

Assuming direct control...