Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ivansc

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 7:02pm Post subject: Stephen`s lack of linguistic ability
Ahem!

Whilst Mr, Fry is the very epitome of erudition in his native English, I had the misfortune to catch a QI rerun in which he attempted to demonstrate his superior linguistic abilty in the French language.

Nul point, Stevie baby.

Joe Brand came the closest to being understandable and you own efforts, though confidently delivered, were utter drivel.

Quel honte!

Ivan

Hank Moody

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 7:18pm Post subject: Stephen`s lack of linguistic ability
I'm sorry, I thought I stepped into a world where right thinking Englishmen actually made accomodation to care about the French language for a moment there. X-D

dottybutgood

Posted Thu Apr 9th, 2009 8:18pm Post subject: Stephen`s lack of linguistic ability
I would like to observe that unless I am much mistaken that MR Fry has an A-level in French, thus he should really have done a better job, I do appreciate that was a long time ago but still, he is a linguist.

ginj

Member *

Posted Thu Apr 9th, 2009 8:28pm Post subject: Stephen`s lack of linguistic ability
I suppose with all of Mr. Fry's accomplishments, if the only thing you can say that you don't like about him, is the way he speaks French, then he is well and truly ahead of the game.

Edited for some grammatical changes.

PamJH

Posted Fri Apr 10th, 2009 2:36am Post subject: Stephen`s lack of linguistic ability
I suppose with all of Mr. Fry's accomplishments if the only thing you can say about him is that you don't like is the way he speaks French, then he is well and truly ahead of the game.

Agree with ya, Ginj. And that A-level was taken eons ago. I did very well in Spanish in high school, but I'm utter rot at it now.

Maxx England

Posted Fri Apr 17th, 2009 2:36pm Post subject: Stephen`s lack of linguistic ability
Given the Venerable Fry's personal politics, perhaps it is not surprising he is not a cunning linguist.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

5teve

Posted Sat Apr 18th, 2009 12:15pm Post subject: Stephen`s lack of linguistic ability
Stop!!
Zut alors.
Nomme d'un chien
Hold your horses.
Does the original poster not realise that Stephen deliberately dumbed down the French bit so that the Frogs could understand it.??

snogmo1

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 11:23pm Post subject: Stephen`s lack of linguistic ability
Ahem!

Whilst Mr, Fry is the very epitome of erudition in his native English, I had the misfortune to catch a QI rerun in which he attempted to demonstrate his superior linguistic abilty in the French language.

Nul point, Stevie baby.

Joe Brand came the closest to being understandable and you own efforts, though confidently delivered, were utter drivel.

Quel honte!

Ivan

One cannot blame Fry Secundus as Fr. is tres 'ard and a dead language like Lat.

ladyfromhamburg

Posted Wed Jul 1st, 2009 4:53pm Post subject: Stephen`s lack of linguistic ability
Ahem!

Nul point, Stevie baby.

Quel honte!

Ivan

Sorry, dead language ???? *coughs slightly*

snogmo1

Posted Wed Jul 1st, 2009 5:17pm Post subject: Stephen`s lack of linguistic ability
Ahem!

Nul point, Stevie baby.

Quel honte!

Ivan

Sorry, dead language ???? *coughs slightly*

Well, a not very well language. A bit mal. *Dribbles copiously*

Greengalipote

Posted Sat Jul 4th, 2009 6:07pm Post subject: Stephen`s lack of linguistic ability
Stop!!
Zut alors.
Nomme d'un chien
Hold your horses.
Does the original poster not realise that Stephen deliberately dumbed down the French bit so that the Frogs could understand it.??

Oi watch your rosbif mouthes!

Just kidding, but I'd be careful if I were you, there's french bits and pieces all over the ENglish language.

It's true though: Mr Fry's attempts at speaking French were a bit rubbish to say the least. I say, never mind! For me, it made the show all the more interesting and amusing (which is what it's all about after all, isn't it? Interestingness). Besides, do you think Alan Davies would have understood better if Stephen Fry had correctly said : "Quel mammifère marin ne peut rien avaler de plus grand qu'un pamplemousse?". I don't think so.