Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

FineWine

Posted Mon Sep 7th, 2009 3:49pm Post subject: Stephen's Weight Loss

Stephen - Australia here - Just watched the Top Gear episode with you as the guest driver. The previous night I had watched you wallowing in a spa on a boat in the middle of USA. I am greatly impressed with your weight loss since then.

Having stopped smoking in Nov'08 I packed on 12kg and are having the greatest difficulty getting rid of it. On Top Gear you really weren't given the opportunity to answer that question.

Could you enlighted us all??

Sub-Level28

Posted Sat Sep 19th, 2009 1:00pm Post subject: Stephen's Weight Loss

He said walking with audio books.
And walking is effective. I lost about 5-6 inches around my waist just through all the walking I do at work. Plus moving around the merchandise/goods.

I wish I was a shapeshifter.
Sub-Level 28, My blog

Art is any created work that provokes strong emotions in you, personally. And trying to impose your feelings on someone else is as pointless and time-consuming as trying to impregnate a dishwasher.

lindsey bartlett

Posted Mon Dec 21st, 2009 3:15pm Post subject: Stephen's Weight Loss

It's a cliche but the decision to lose weight has to come from oneself alone - the time has to arrive when the desire to lose weight supercedes all desire to consume too much food and/or alcohol, or to sit doing nothing instead of walking whenever one can. Analyising what one eats too much or, even worse, asking oneself why or if one has food issues becomes utterly extraneous and of no interest - one is ONLY interested in being slimmer, and in the undeniably many advantages that being slimmer brings. My advice to anyone is to do just do it. Really. It is that simple. Everybody knows what they have to do to lose weight. And don't google too much on the subject either!!

Hermi80

Posted Mon Apr 26th, 2010 7:06pm Post subject: Stephen's Weight Loss

I think Stephen's weight loss is impressive and my heartiest congratulations go to him. I have lost four stone myself and know how hard it can be. It all comes down to willpower in the end. If you really want to lose the weight, you CAN do it

'I am gone, though I am here'

mogadoh

Posted Sat Jun 26th, 2010 4:45am Post subject: Stephen's Weight Loss

This thread contains some good information. I have been wanting to lose weight for years now and would every once in a while renew my promise (to myself) to do it, but it never results in anything.
Funny what someone said before about not Googling too much about it, it's true. I've Googled about on occasion and it's rather disheartening rather then enlightening.
It's great to see a slimmer Stephen, as much as it was nice and very surprising to see a slimmer Peter Jackson. I noticed recently that Tim Burton got a bit pudgy and shed his weight too.
It's weird isn't it, psychologically speaking. I think i have only begun to understand in the last year or so why it matters psychologically too, eating too much for comfort from sadness and all that. When we know that being slimmer would make us feel much more comfortable psychically and mentally.
I only wish someone else could lose my weight for me, lol. Willpower willpower willpower willpower!!

P:s: I'm really looking forward to seeing Stephen at his Melbourne show.

Hawkes

Posted Thu Jul 22nd, 2010 11:52pm Post subject: Stephen's Weight Loss

I didn't recognise him!

Rawr!

mesem

Banned User

Posted Sun Dec 26th, 2010 7:46pm Post subject: Stephen's Weight Loss

velly, velly interesting, monavie juice, it interesting for you?
Please take commercial interest elsewhere. As bad as Stephens Apple promotions..

katysara

Posted Thu Dec 30th, 2010 7:57pm Post subject: Stephen's Weight Loss

Thanks Mesem, the spam has been deleted.

I am an administrator on this site.

"Having a great intellect is no path to being happy."
~ Stephen Fry

See my website: www.katysaraculling.com

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Jun 6th, 2011 5:59pm Post subject: Stephen's Weight Loss

Sub-Level28 said:
He said walking with audio books.
And walking is effective. I lost about 5-6 inches around my waist just through all the walking I do at work. Plus moving around the merchandise/goods.

Walking is very effective! Years ago I used to work in a warehouse, a job which involved a lot of working. I lost 3 stone in 6 weeks! I should start walking more, to build my stamina up too. I've been told stress can affect weight - you have either lose it or gain it, me I gain it when I'm stressed. >_<

It's awesome to see that Stephen Fry has done well at losing weight and quitting smoking.

Assuming direct control...

Byljer

Posted Thu Dec 22nd, 2011 11:44pm Post subject: Stephen's Weight Loss

Hi everyone Newbie here (Trondheim Norway)

I saw a interview with Mr. Fry not long ago, and commented to my better half "look how thin he has become"!!! He has lost some serious weight, for sure! Good for him He's in a agegroup where it's "a cunning plan" to loose some weight to keep up a good health. That said, from personal experience I would say to everyone trying to loose weight: Be careful! There is something called "eating disorder", and you may get stucked with it for the rest of your life. Just be careful!!

tormentil

Posted Wed Dec 28th, 2011 1:58am Post subject: Stephen's Weight Loss

Hi, for my contribution I would like to suggest swimming. I was approaching my mid thirties and was chubby. I wasn't happy and although I put little emphasis on age I was feeling a little insecure with myself. It was suggested by my darling girlfriend we should start swimming. We started going twice per week for about an hour. within weeks I could seemingly swim forever One thing i did notice was that i didn't lose much weight. The reason why ? I was becoming toned and more muscular. I looked in the mirror and was pleased. this was after about two months. I have always been a healthy eater, but adding in the swimming really made a difference. There is also immediate gratification as you leave with a wonderful feeling of calm and almost euphoria. I would recommend it to anyone who is able I am now forty by the way and am happy and fit.

I dislike the summer, it's clothes and I do not get on.

harpie

Posted Thu Dec 29th, 2011 12:34pm Post subject: Stephen's Weight Loss

for fast weight loss: Go on a Juice diet, cut out all processed and cooked foods!, juice up fruit n veg !! Can be expensive particularly when using organic, but you can't beat it, why? because you are still able to exercise unlike water fasting.

For not so extreme weight loss: reduce processed and cooked foods and eat as much fruit and vegetables as you like.

fruit and veg is the key.

hayleybailey

Posted Fri Jan 27th, 2012 1:38pm Post subject: Stephen's Weight Loss

juice fasting is not an effective means of permanent, healthy weight loss. the best way to maintain a healthy weight is to listen to your body: eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. definitely eat organic foods and try to cut down on processed things, but by no means starve yourself. that is why you notice extreme weight loss with juice fasting - not because it is some kind of diet secret, but simply because you are starving your body of the energy it needs to function. and anyway, you are MUCH more likely to end up bingeing if you fast, as your body ends up screaming for you to feed it and you start eating frantically, basically on autopilot. purging is the most disgusting, unnatural thing i have ever done, and it certainly feels wrong considering all the people in the world who go hungry. fortunately i am fairly inexperienced with self induced vomitting, as i have only done this on rare occasions, howevever severe restriction of calories is my field, and i can tell you right now it is a miserable life to live. anorexia has wrecked my school work, my social life, my will to live and aspects of my health. it has made me a liar and someone who is extremely secretive in almost everything i do. i urge anyway wanting to lose weight to do it properly - get advice from your doctor, and never let a number on a scale decide how you feel. take care <3

Nitro

Posted Sat Mar 17th, 2012 7:38pm Post subject: Stephen's Weight Loss

Gosh, it really makes me sad that there are people who would be so concerned about their physical appearance they would go to the lengths of making themselves vomit. It's so dangerous to ones health. The esophagus can become ulcerated, the abdominal muscles experiencing tears and pressures they should not, various internal organs like the kidneys being upset by it, the back and neck muscles, the enamel on teeth being damaged and the tastebuds on the tongue, the sinuses, the heart, and the brain.

Natural vomiting, in response to illness, is a good thing. Unnatural vomiting is not.

The human body was designed over time for more and more Movement. We are not out of that phase of Evolution yet. A lack of movement contrtributes to many, many problems on health. Depression and weight gain are two big results of it.

I was seriously injured once during a phase of my life where I was extremely physically active and an athlete. Being 'in shape' made it possible for me to survive it.

I suffered another injury that precluded physical activity. It wasonly years of training with coaches and various other sports professionals that I had the knowledge to survive the last few years while recovering from it. In these years, I've managed to avoid putting on only but a few extra pounds. Still, I did lose a bit of muscle tone but managed to slow that decline too much. I hope to get it back but it will take time.

A lot of people you see that are over-weight are not overweight because they're lazy, gluttonous morons. Many of them have underlying medical conditions and medications they take that contribute to weight gain, regardless of what they 'do'. Disability in the physique, for whatever reason, can and usually does impact the mechanical aspects of movement and so this, too, contributes to weight gain for people. Some people with Epilepsy often are overweight because medications they take slow them down and also too much physical stress can trigger seizures.

So, be a little kinder in your mind to yourself if what you see in the mirror can be explained by these things, and be a little kinder in your mind to strangers you see who are 'fat'. You never know for sure what's influencing people or what they are dealing with in their lives.

Maybe Kindness and Compassion are things that should be added to our 'diets'

Really? Wow.

hayleybailey

Posted Mon May 7th, 2012 8:58am Post subject: Stephen's Weight Loss

With due respect - and I understand where you're coming from - I have to disagree with the comments you made about it being sad people would make themselves vomit just because they are so concerned by their physical appearance. I am yet to meet a single eating disorder sufferer who does what we do so they can look attractive. I feel like this is a common misconception: that we do it to be beautiful. I also feel like it trivialises the disease - it makes it seem like this serious mental health issue is simply caused by vanity. It is also for this reason I don't think super skinny models and the like are the cause of this self destruction: perhaps our methods of falling apart are partially a product of society, but the very act of falling apart itself is not. In essence, I think these things may help fuel the illness, but they do not cause it. There are root causes that have nothing to do with beauty. There is a genetic predisposition, a loaded gun, and an environment that pulls the trigger. For me it is about being perfect - I used to want to have perfect marks in everything. Piano, school, debating. If I didn't excel, I might as well not do it. I scare myself now that I pretty much care about nothing. But that is beside the point. Not eating was (and at times remains to be) a way to avoid disappointment over not being perfect. A way to control the fact that I cannot be perfect. Both a comfort and a punishment for not doing as well in something as I would like. And of course underlying problems of suicide ideation, self injury, family drama, anxiety issues and the like. Basically, I didn't care about being beautiful, not deep down. I would not risk my hair falling out, brittle bones, heart problems and infertility just to be pretty. And I don't blame you for making this assumption. It is drilled into us over this obsession with the negative influence of the fashion industry. And I don't doubt the fashion industry causes ordinary people to feel a bit insecure or diet a bit, but it doesn't cause serious mental health problems in society.