Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Byljer

Posted Wed Jun 6th, 2012 11:32pm Post subject: Stephen's Weight Loss

Nitro said:
Gosh, it really makes me sad that there are people who would be so concerned about their physical appearance they would go to the lengths of making themselves vomit. It's so dangerous to ones health. The esophagus can become ulcerated, the abdominal muscles experiencing tears and pressures they should not, various internal organs like the kidneys being upset by it, the back and neck muscles, the enamel on teeth being damaged and the tastebuds on the tongue, the sinuses, the heart, and the brain.

Natural vomiting, in response to illness, is a good thing. Unnatural vomiting is not.

The human body was designed over time for more and more Movement. We are not out of that phase of Evolution yet. A lack of movement contrtributes to many, many problems on health. Depression and weight gain are two big results of it.

I was seriously injured once during a phase of my life where I was extremely physically active and an athlete. Being 'in shape' made it possible for me to survive it.

I suffered another injury that precluded physical activity. It wasonly years of training with coaches and various other sports professionals that I had the knowledge to survive the last few years while recovering from it. In these years, I've managed to avoid putting on only but a few extra pounds. Still, I did lose a bit of muscle tone but managed to slow that decline too much. I hope to get it back but it will take time.

A lot of people you see that are over-weight are not overweight because they're lazy, gluttonous morons. Many of them have underlying medical conditions and medications they take that contribute to weight gain, regardless of what they 'do'. Disability in the physique, for whatever reason, can and usually does impact the mechanical aspects of movement and so this, too, contributes to weight gain for people. Some people with Epilepsy often are overweight because medications they take slow them down and also too much physical stress can trigger seizures.

So, be a little kinder in your mind to yourself if what you see in the mirror can be explained by these things, and be a little kinder in your mind to strangers you see who are 'fat'. You never know for sure what's influencing people or what they are dealing with in their lives.

Maybe Kindness and Compassion are things that should be added to our 'diets'

Basicly, what you're saying is "get a grip, and get your act together". Well, do you dare to say that to Mr. Stephen Fry who is suffering from being a manic depressive???

Be careful how you judge people, and in what way.

I am, and so are others, fully aware of the dangers of eating disorders, but you have to understand the reasons for eating disorders to fully understand them. I can only speak for myself, but it started because as a young child I was basicly told I was to fat for my age, my "diet" wasn't healthy and so on. Fat folks aren't attractive to the opposite sex, right? When I became a teenager I became more aware of the "problem", and started to throw up a lot of what I ate. I became obsessed with what food was healthy and what food was not. It didn't help that some of my relatives were on diets, and they became the heroes in my family. "Oh, look at you! You're the best! Can't believe you manged to do that! You are so clever" and so on. I wanted to be praised like that. I wanted to be good at something, and I wanted them to look up at me. Well, in that sense it all went wrong for me. I'm a grown up now, with my own family, but still I'm fighting my eating disorder on a daily basis. That's why I say to people "loose weight, but be careful". Be very, very careful!!! Your mind get twisted, and you wont think as would be considered "normal" when it comes to food and weight. When I look in the mirror I see an slightly overweight person. When I see my pictures I think "My God, you're to thin". It's all in the brain y'know....

Another thing. Almost everyone think eating disorders equals women. You know what? That's wrong! The difference is that it's easier to get help if you're a woman. There are groups, therapy etc., but for men? Nothing!

That said, I'm glad SF was able to loose some weight. Good for him

JerseyBookworm

Posted Sun Apr 14th, 2013 9:40pm Post subject: Stephen's Weight Loss

Nitro said:

A lot of people you see that are over-weight are not overweight because they're lazy, gluttonous morons. Many of them have underlying medical conditions and medications they take that contribute to weight gain, regardless of what they 'do'. Disability in the physique, for whatever reason, can and usually does impact the mechanical aspects of movement and so this, too, contributes to weight gain for people. Some people with Epilepsy often are overweight because medications they take slow them down and also too much physical stress can trigger seizures.

So, be a little kinder in your mind to yourself if what you see in the mirror can be explained by these things, and be a little kinder in your mind to strangers you see who are 'fat'. You never know for sure what's influencing people or what they are dealing with in their lives.

Maybe Kindness and Compassion are things that should be added to our 'diets'

I am a year late in reading your post, but what you say is so true and so few people really understand that.

I am extremely happy for Stephen that he has lost weight and feels good about himself. No one, I don't care what they say, is happy being overweight. No. One.

I was a pretty normal weight my whole life. But I started to put on some pounds when I got a more sedentary job. Walking helps that, for sure. But then I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and now I am essentially housebound. I cannot walk any more. I swam for a while and that was wonderful. But then I fell and broke my shoulder (much like poor Stephen), which put an end to my swimming days. Steroids to treat MS and other medications have contributed even more weight gain. It is unbelievably depressing.

I wish much luck to anyone who is struggling with their weight and/or their health. It is a wearying battle.

http://www.nourishourselves.blogspot.com
http://www.msrenegade.com
http://www.theshorebookworm.blogspot.com

Photobucket