Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

TobiasMonk

Posted Thu Apr 16th, 2009 9:30pm Post subject: Stereotyping
I just wonder what y'all think about this, does anyone believe it's ever acceptable to stereotype, and if so at what point does it become unacceptable? I'm seeing it more and more instead of less and less, and that's got me asking whether folks even realize they're doing it. Is it a question of definition? I was taught to see the individual, not a class, set, or a subset of people, and so I can't help wondering where the hell it's all coming from or why. Is it just ignorance? We don't really mean any harm, it's just one of those things. What does it say about us if our desire to be enlightened constantly takes a back seat to ignorance?

Sorry y'all, but as you can probably see this really sticks in my craw, and so I really need to throw it out there and see what comes back because lately I've been seeing/hearing some stuff that just doesn't wash.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Maxx England

Posted Thu Apr 16th, 2009 9:35pm Post subject: Stereotyping
I think the mind deals with complexity by putting things in boxes, and as our lives become more addled by endless "information" we all run the risk of seeing someone, ticking the little squares and dropping them into an appropriate pigeonhole. That's about the nearest I can get.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Maxx England

Posted Thu Apr 16th, 2009 9:54pm Post subject: Stereotyping
I will point out, this is not an excuse for anyone to pursue lazy or malicious thinking. But it's probably a way for people to avoid overload.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

sheepchrist

Posted Thu Apr 16th, 2009 10:01pm Post subject: Stereotyping
[quote="Tobias Monk"]I just wonder what y'all think about this, does anyone believe it's ever acceptable to stereotype, and if so at what point does it become unacceptable?

Stereo typing in my view is pretty much harmless and not related to ignorance or intelligence - it just is what it is.

However I always like to look at the motivation or reasons for the stereo typing I am viewing or hearing. It is only then that we can distinguish the harmful from the harmless.

In my view we need to be more careful now more than ever that we do not politically correct ourselves to the point of mediocrity and dullness whilst at the same time reducing prejudice – to me a person’s motivation is everything.

There’s a thin line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

TobiasMonk

Posted Thu Apr 16th, 2009 10:51pm Post subject: Stereotyping
For the record, I'm not talking about political correctness here, and I respect everyone's opinion. To be sure I understand you correctly, are you saying that though the stereotyping itself is harmless, the intentions or motivation behind it is not?

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

sheepchrist

Posted Thu Apr 16th, 2009 11:02pm Post subject: Stereotyping
For the record, I'm not talking about political correctness here, and I respect everyone's opinion. To be sure I understand you correctly, are you saying that though the stereotyping itself is harmless, the intentions or motivation behind it is not?

yes pretty much

for instance many people make general stereotypes of scottish people and supposed national traits (?) - ginger hair, kilt wearing, mean with money, etc, etc ,etc; I listen for the motovation or intension behind whats being said.

If it is being said to intensionally belittle, deride, or otherwise hurt then it becomes unhelpful u unless of course its funny X-D

michael

Posted Thu Apr 16th, 2009 11:15pm Post subject: Stereotyping
okay i went round and read some articles and have something i want to say.

there is a reason WHY we stereotype, it does help in our survival and is probably something our brains do when faced with unknown people, situations, etc.

however, if that OTHER person that is the unknown is not a THREAT...and we go on using this survival tactic, that is a problem.

in my experience, no matter how genius a person is, it's really hard to talk and listen at the same time. this is true not just in conversation, but with our thoughts.

now, this isn't scientific lingo, it's just how the situation seems to me: if our brains are "talking out" a message: this person is brown...this person has shabbier clothes than mine...this person might be violent... we will not hear that person say "excuse me, do you have the time?" we might think they said something else! or we may not hear them at all.

to me, stereotyping gone awry is like taking a class and thinking that you already know everything that will be taught in the class. if you think you know everything already and are too concerned with telling people what you know and showing the teacher how "awesome" you are, you probably won't learn anything new.

and if you are too busy making jokes about a population group your friend is from to hear them say "i am not like that, i am like this" then you will learn nothing new about your friend, and they will feel very hurt.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

sheepchrist

Posted Thu Apr 16th, 2009 11:38pm Post subject: Stereotyping
and they will feel very hurt.

In my experience;

In the main people who feel very hurt, choose to feel very hurt even if that invokes negative attention.

Interesting response though I am not convinced that the skill of pausing to listen in-between talking is not that difficult to learn. Choice again is at hand should we choose to exercise it

michael

Posted Thu Apr 16th, 2009 11:49pm Post subject: Stereotyping
why would anyone CHOOSE to feel hurt?

and

what about instances where stereotyping results in war and genocide?
are those injuries what those people deserved?

michael

Posted Thu Apr 16th, 2009 11:50pm Post subject: Stereotyping

Interesting response though I am not convinced that the skill of pausing to listen in-between talking is not that difficult to learn. Choice again is at hand should we choose to exercise it

no one who acts like that becomes my friend easily. it's very rude to talk while someone is talking to you.

choose that if you want, but be aware, others make choices too...as in whether or not someone chooses to befriend someone who isn't a good listener.

sheepchrist

Posted Thu Apr 16th, 2009 11:57pm Post subject: Stereotyping

no one who acts like that becomes my friend easily. it's very rude to talk while someone is talking to you.

choose that if you want, but be aware, others make choices too...as in whether or not someone chooses to befriend someone who isn't a good listener.

As I already typed - "pausing to listen in-between talking" - is the skill - two people talking over each other is indeed rude -

michael

Posted Thu Apr 16th, 2009 11:59pm Post subject: Stereotyping

As I already typed - "pausing to listen in-between talking" - is the skill - two people talking over each other is indeed rude -

ok, i understand you now

i was using it as an analogy...i do think it's hard to take in new info about new people if you go into the situation assuming you already know everything about it, or assuming you can answer questions about that person better than they can answer them themselves.

does that make sense?

michael

Posted Fri Apr 17th, 2009 12:01am Post subject: Stereotyping
what do people here know about me? i wonder.

and what do i know about you?

sheepchrist

Posted Fri Apr 17th, 2009 12:02am Post subject: Stereotyping
why would anyone CHOOSE to feel hurt?

Is that a rhetorical question?

and

what about instances where stereotyping results in war and genocide?
are those injuries what those people deserved?

Can't say that I can think of a single instance where stereotyping has resulted in war or genocide.

sheepchrist

Posted Fri Apr 17th, 2009 12:07am Post subject: Stereotyping

does that make sense?

indeed it does