Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

JVONEARTH

Posted Wed Mar 7th, 2007 12:00am Post subject: Strange recipes
When i was down in Cornwall i saw a recipe for stargazy pie.
It was a fish pie and the heads of the fish would stick out of the top.
There was a reason for that but i have forgot.
Anyone else know of something strange?

boffinbabe12

Posted Wed Mar 7th, 2007 12:14am Post subject: Strange recipes
I don't know if this is strange or not but my great aunt makes amazing cakes but uses mayonnaise instead of egg... I know mayonnaise is egg but its different....

trouser material

Posted Wed Mar 7th, 2007 12:15am Post subject: Strange recipes
I don't know if this is strange or not but my great aunt makes amazing cakes but uses mayonnaise instead of egg... I know mayonnaise is egg but its different....

Sounds positively heart-stopping.

boffinbabe12

Posted Wed Mar 7th, 2007 12:17am Post subject: Strange recipes
Very

JVONEARTH

Posted Wed Mar 7th, 2007 12:18am Post subject: Strange recipes
I think the Cornish people believed that the knowledge from the fish soaks down into the pie and is then passed on to them.
I think the starter for that dish is Magic Mushrooms X-D X-D

boffinbabe12

Posted Wed Mar 7th, 2007 12:20am Post subject: Strange recipes
We had a lesson about drugs last week and were shown a picture of magic mushrooms and I was surprised at how mushroomy they looked. One could easily mistake them!

trouser material

Posted Wed Mar 7th, 2007 12:20am Post subject: Strange recipes
Yummo. I can just picture the fish staring at you as you tuck in. X-D

JVONEARTH

Posted Wed Mar 7th, 2007 12:40am Post subject: Strange recipes
Black pudding god that was something dreamed up by someone with an interest in the occult

joan

Posted Wed Mar 7th, 2007 6:34am Post subject: Strange recipes
For the black pudding recipe you should get hold of "The Goodies" Eckythump episode.....all about the ancient Lancastrian martial art of Eckythump, namely flattening your enemies by means of black pudding.One of my favourite "Goodies" episodes (along with Kitten Kong - I named a cat after that one)

I liked the stuff before I found out it was dried pigs blood with lumps of lard in it. Germans don't have that problem - they openly call it 'Blood Sausage' - Blutwurst. Sounds Klingon doesn't it? Anyway, as well as the Lancastrians, the Yorkies are generally partial to the stuff: in fact it qualifies as Yorkshire 'soul food' along with rhubarb, curd tarts, parkin, and of course Yorkshire Pudding.

Canzonett

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 10:23am Post subject: Strange recipes
Strange recipes?

(1) Icelandic rotten shark.
(2) Anything containing Swedish fermented herring (surströmming). I once stood close to a person opening a can of this hellish stuff. Relatively close - at about five meters' distance. The smell was still unbearably horrid.

meekychuppet

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 11:32am Post subject: Strange recipes
When i was down in Cornwall i saw a recipe for stargazy pie.
It was a fish pie and the heads of the fish would stick out of the top.
There was a reason for that but i have forgot.
Anyone else know of something strange?

That is gross.

ClareBear

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 11:58am Post subject: Strange recipes

Sounds like fun.

Soupy Twist

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 12:32pm Post subject: Strange recipes
Two of the many considered delicacies of Asia are Balut and Century Eggs. Following these links requires a robust stomach.

As it is, almost every country or region has its own specialties that foreigners often consider disgusting. Many foreigners bear a strong dislike of the Bavarian Leberkaese ('Lebakaas'), which, despite its name, consists of everything but liver and cheese.

Canzonett

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 1:45pm Post subject: Strange recipes
But a Leberkäs Semmel is something nice and tasty and yummy and doesn't require boiling living ducklings in their eggshells ...

Peardrops

Posted Thu Mar 8th, 2007 2:33pm Post subject: Strange recipes
My dad likes lamb stuffed with black pudding.

Blech!