Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nele

Posted Sat Feb 16th, 2008 8:22pm Post subject: Swear words
As we all know our bedazzling, beguiling, bewitching and above all beloved Mr. Fry has as any homo intelligentus a profound understanding of the art of swearing. And since I am still a novice in the abbey of the English language, I intend to learn. So this is going to be a tabula of swearwords. You can be as decent or as vulgar as you like, just go for it (and hope that the forum police doesn't catch us) So I'll start with two of my favourites from the very opposite borders of the great country that is swearing:

pimhole (as used in an old "bit of fry and laurie" sketch)
cunting Ausschwitz (read that one in an interview with the master and he was quoting Peter O'Toole, http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:tPPfeJmbmkMJ:ww.....&gl=de
just in case you want to read the interview)

So, now it's your turn

P.s.: Despite the fact that I have indeed read the rules etc. I'm still not sure how much swearing is aloud in here.
Dear controlling people, I do understand the necessity of keeping this place nice and friendly and wouldn't want any homophobia, racism or anti-semitism in here either. I've had to bear homophobes all my lives and half my family died in KZs, so yes, I do understand that some might be insulted and that there always have to be people who ensure general gayness and nicety. However, this really is more a question of research and fun, than anything else. Still, if I insult anyone, I do ask for forgiveness and have, of course, no problem at all if you decide to delete this post or entire thread. Thanks)

ClareBear

Posted Sat Feb 16th, 2008 8:56pm Post subject: Swear words
"Forum Police" is a little strong.... :'(

Nele

Posted Sat Feb 16th, 2008 9:11pm Post subject: Swear words
I didn't mean that in a negative way at all, first of all since I personally like the police. I believe it's needed and important and incidentally the friendliest and most helpful person I know is a police man. The main reason why I'm asking for swear words btw is that I'm writing a story about a female Deputy Chief Constable in England's smallest "town" and have to decide which swear word she uses. You know, I have to find the right balance between being likeable and yet somehow surprising. So yeah, forum police wasn't ment in a negative way. I think who ever controls the forums has a very important and essentially good job, just like a police officer.

So what about swear words now?

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat Feb 16th, 2008 9:14pm Post subject: Swear words
Please forgive my ignorance, but what does it actually mean/imply? I know what Auschwitz is of course, but "cunting Auschwitz"? Sorry.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Nele

Posted Sat Feb 16th, 2008 10:25pm Post subject: Swear words
OK, I didn't make it up, it's Peter O'Toole's. However as I understand it, the way it works is the following:
In Britain cunt is considered The Swear Word per se. There's even a poll done by the bbc on swear words and apperently this is Nr. 1 by far. I remember my first visit to Britain I was in a language school and we had to keep diaries, which were corrected for us. We were allowed to swear if we wanted to, after all it's a diary. So I kept my little diary and of course used a great many swear words. However, one day, I used the word cunt, describing my best friend who I think had spilt cocoa on my favourite skirt or something.... The headmistress made me apologize in front of the entire class. So apparently cunt is a big deal in the UK (those silly buggers really have to get in touch with their female side if you ask me, after all, prick or dickhead is no prob at all)
Now, saying Auschwitz is of course as political incorrect as it's gonna get. So if you use cunt you will shock the general British subject, while the more boheme or intellectual or leftist or just generally cooler Brit remains unshocked. However, if you add Auschwitz even the most liberal minded, swear-friendly isle-inhabitant will turn away in disgust. Or at least that's the general idea. I by the way love "cunting Auschwitz". I've been using it ever since. Another curse along the same lines I've once been shouted at with is "go into the oven". Which doesn't seem to shocking unless you realise that I'm a jewess, while the person who shouted it at me was a German. The German is my best (very liberal) friend and I laughed my imaginary balls off.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 1:38am Post subject: Swear words
imaginary balls.... :'(

Nele

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 2:18am Post subject: Swear words
Why do unhappy faces appear whenever I make a statement???
Atari
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:56 pm Post subject:
"Forum Police" is a little strong.... :'(
banjo
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:38 am Post subject:
imaginary balls.... :'(

And stil no swear words. I seem to be the only fucker in here who atually takes the bloody topic any serious. And yes, my balls are imaginary, my boobs are real though, live with it. Might have something to do with me being a bitch, not a wanker... So, more swearing people, what are your favourites, what kind of swearing pisses you off? What's vulgar and which curses are raisins sweetening the great steamed pudding we call the English language?

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 2:26am Post subject: Swear words
I don't know why people aren't taking this fucking thread seriously dammit. Maybe they don't just don't understand what this shit is all about. The bastards.

Is that better?
X-D X-D X-D

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 2:32am Post subject: Swear words
X-D

i'm sorry, Nele!!! i'm a uh...gender dysphoric girl. (so hard to even type girl!) and i was wistfully pining about my own imaginary balls. and my phantom wee-wee-ka-bob.

ummmm...i'm ok with most swearing, but one word that does always put me on edge is the N bomb.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 3:54am Post subject: Swear words
I have a tendency to use the word fuck alot... i think it is a very Irish thing (the way it is used... maybe Im wrong) its said in a non-aggresive manner just slipped into the flow of conversation for the sheer hell of it.
Common uses :

"Will ya come-on te'fuck" (meaning hurry up)
"I was standing there chatting to Mary and fuckin' what's his name, ya know thingy from the cash office, comes down and starts fuckin' about with the computer. I nearly lamped him one when he bollixed it up" (thats a genuine sentence I heard in work today)
"Here hoebag, you headin down for a few pints after" (we like to call people terrible names in a nice manner.... all my friends are reffered to as - and reffer to me as - bitch, hoebag, fartbox, shithead, young'wan, that type of thing. said in a very nice tone of voice and all)
"Win the lotto? will he fuck! jeaysuss he will be lucky to win an arguement"

and for such a catholic nation we (the Irish - I count myself different) use the lords name in vain ALOT. I use the word God but I have a different belief in what God is so I dont really mind.
We also have alot of funny sayings now that I think of it, St.Bipolar may help me on this one....
"Come over here an I slap ya"
"If you brake your legs dont you dare run crying to me"
I dont know if this is Irish but I know we used to sing it as a child
"yum yum pigs bum, cabbage and potatoes"

anyway Im off on a tangent.... yes if in doubt Fuck is a great reliable word. Tommy sums it up pretty much for me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWIqQqliksc

Nele

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 4:17am Post subject: Swear words
One sear word I adore is arsedribble. I got that from Stephen as well and I think it's much more original and really more to the point than bullshit. The meaning is obvious you can see the verbal diarrhea and the word is rather onomatopoetic as well. Just say it loudly arsedribble. Very satisfying if you ask me. Especially if you stretch it a bit and pronounce both of those lovely bs.

Nele

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 4:29am Post subject: Swear words
OK, I just deleted half the post, so what I wanted to say is banjo you have to become one with your pumpkin, go out buy shoes! And I love the word wee-wee-ka-bob. Though, my favourite is still two veggies and a sausage. Gives the image pretty well, I think. I have a friend who call it his bubbles and squeak. Which is also rather nice because it gives a picture and the sound it makes when put to action on a cheap ikea bed.
Also, thank you Mr. Monk for taking me seriously. We appreciate it. Nice that someone's making an effort to work their language.
And Crazy in a box, really good. I think I'll have to visit Ireland! Though I think fuck is really rather mundane and somehow Americanized. I'm old fashionend, i'd rather use bloody and bugger than fuck. Though, I've heard, that Americans don't even understand bugger, they don't know what it means. What a shame. I think it has such a lovely swearing quality to it. To me sound is the most important aspect of a swear word. In cursing, I believe, the meaning is secondary to the sound. That's what I like about Klingon (no, I don't speak it, I'm not even a trekkie)
it seems to be made for swearing. A friend of mine taught me one great word which is "P'tach", isn't that marvellous? You really spit it out. I have no idea what it means but it sounds like one hell of an insult.

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 4:47am Post subject: Swear words
Though, I've heard, that Americans don't even understand bugger, they don't know what it means.

Why do people assume that because we don't use a word we must not understand it's definitions? Just goes to show, don't believe everything you hear because somebody fed you a line of bullshit.

Walt Whitman

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 4:52am Post subject: Swear words
Though, I've heard, that Americans don't even understand bugger, they don't know what it means. What a shame.

We know what bugger means. In fact until recently it was still on law books under its original meaning.

ysabella

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 4:59am Post subject: Swear words
Differences in swearing are interesting. In France, swearing is a lot like it is here, about sex and poop. But the Quebecois swear using religious terms. I think they are older French terms that fell out of use in France - aren't there some old, unused English religious swear terms that were religious? Like 'zounds'?

But the Dutch! Particularly in the Hague! They swear using the usual things plus diseases. They don't just call someone a bastard, but a syphilitic bastard. Complaining is "cancer-ing" and a big mess is a "cholera-mess." Someone nearly ran us down once when we were crossing the street (we had the green walk signal and everything) and my husband yelled something similar to "you should die from cancer."

Dude! Harsh!

Although the French occasionally come up with something like "the dog should shit in your mouth," which just appeals to me. X-D