Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 5:04am Post subject: Swear words
I dont think its a case of not knowing it, I think its more a different attitude to swearing... obviously Im not talking about all Americans or all Canadians for that matter (Ive had more experiences talking to Canadians hence why I included them) but in my experiences, curses arnt the done thing unless you are angry across the pond - am I right? My aunt has lived in Canada since she was my age and though she is very Irish to them, she is very Canadian to us. When she is talking to anyone over there she rarely curses at all but once she talks to an Irish person she curses every second word almost. her partner could always tell when she was on the phone home cos she would be cursing so much. when we go over he says he sees her change almost as soon as we walk in the door....

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 5:19am Post subject: Swear words
i know what bugger is, but i don't know what you mean by my "pumpkin." ??

just so you know, i made up weeweekabob. if you say that in america, they will stare at you as much as they stare at me.

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 5:31am Post subject: Swear words
I dont think its a case of not knowing it, I think its more a different attitude to swearing... obviously Im not talking about all Americans or all Canadians for that matter (Ive had more experiences talking to Canadians hence why I included them) but in my experiences, curses arnt the done thing unless you are angry across the pond - am I right? My aunt has lived in Canada since she was my age and though she is very Irish to them, she is very Canadian to us. When she is talking to anyone over there she rarely curses at all but once she talks to an Irish person she curses every second word almost. her partner could always tell when she was on the phone home cos she would be cursing so much. when we go over he says he sees her change almost as soon as we walk in the door....

It's not really about having to be angry, I think it's more about what company you are in. Anyone who is familiar with America through our popular culture must know that we do indeed curse. :D, though we're probably less likely to do it in the company of somebody's grandmother. Although that too would depend on the grandmother.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 5:35am Post subject: Swear words
just so you know, i made up weeweekabob. if you say that in america, they will stare at you as much as they stare at me.

I would only stare at you if you suddenly stopped using weeweekabob!
X-D X-D

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 5:59am Post subject: Swear words
remember the swear words from junior high? the really dorky ones? they aren't even really swear words. like piss ant and fart knocker? dickweed? hello, thirteen.

ClareBear

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 7:29am Post subject: Swear words
I still use pissant now. One of my favourite brush-offs.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 9:17am Post subject: Swear words
Will read this thread in more detail later, but just to explain my vote - I live in the country where Auschwitz (or "Oswiecim" to give it it's proper name as it IS in Poland) is situated, and having visited it I can say that I would never use its name in vain. It is a sour reminder of the foulest and most corrupt black depths of human behaviour.

subito

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 11:42am Post subject: Swear words
I agree with John Steed. While I generally have nothing against swearing and I have phases, when I swear a lot, being Polish I wouldn't use Auschwitz or Oswiecim ("cunt" I don't mind at all ). Kids might use it to mock someone who's very thin and there are still many rather tasteless jokes, but I don't know anyone who would dare to use it as a random swear word...On the other hand - isn't it the very idea of profanity?

Zefla

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 11:59am Post subject: Swear words
One of the guys in the IT dept at work called his boss a scrofulous whore(the guy looks like a pig so it was sort of apt) the other day. If I had been drinking it probably would have come out my nose.

Arsebandit. Cuntflaps is another good one. Fuck has seemed to have lost its shock value- everyone says it now.

erm...I will think of more...

Maren

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 3:25pm Post subject: Swear words
I don't know if I understand - you use "cunt Auschwitz" as a general swearword ... for example when your car breaks down while you are in a hurry or something like that?
Hmm, I think it's really problematic (also I don't understand the connection between "cunt" and "Auschwitz), and I don't write this because I'm german and am frightened of being called a nazi ... there are other reasons for me not to use a swearword like this.

The whole story reminds me a bit of the german-turkish comedian Serdar Somuncu (perhaps you've heard about him if you have a german friend). He probably is best known for his lectures of "Mein Kampf", he jokes a lot about Hitler and often is asked if it should be allowed to laugh about Hitler.
I would say: definetly yes!
To laugh is good and essential because it has a cathartic effect, it annuls mystification, and by trivialising it immunises.
It's something we need.

But from my point of view Auschwitz (and Buchenwald and Dachau and Bergen-Belsen etc) don't need a comparable treatment because there is no mystification. There is "just" the fact of millions of people killed in concentration camps.
I can't see the use of associating this fact with swearing.

Shyamz

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 4:01pm Post subject: Swear words
Personaly, I think it depends on the context.

It would be easy for someone to get really upset thinking about such a thing, and say it out of frustration or anger- "I had family who died in that cunting Auschwitz" for example, because sometimes it's hard not to swear, the more angry or upset you are.
In that situation, I think most sensible people would understand, as it refers to Auschwitz as a terrible thing, which it was.

As for school insults, does anyone remember the UK documentary about Joey Deacon?
It was intended as a way of informing the public about his learning difficulties, what his everyday life was like, and to make children a bit more understanding.

All it succeded in doing was giving children a new word for the "thick" or "simple" kids...Joey's.
You'd think they'd learn wouldn't you? Kids won't be told.

I tend to use swearwords a lot, as I don't beleive swearing is the most worrying social problem facing us today, and there are some people about whom it is impossible to talk without swearing anyway...Graham twatting Norton, Ricky cunting Gervais, or Ian arsing Hislop for example.

I'd add Shitehouse to my list of favourites...not sure what it means realy, but it works for me, and Arseonions...God knows were that came from, but for some reason I say it rather a lot.
And Cock is a good all rounder.

Nele

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 4:31pm Post subject: Swear words
Oh, what a pity. I found the thought of a normal English swearword being completely harmless in America so appealing... Bother and I don't think Dutch swearing is a good idea. Just imagine someone almost runs you over, you shout "You should die of cancer" and in the end the woman in the car only was careless because she'd just been diagnosed with cancer. Horrible and with my luck, I'd just be destined to shout syphilitic bastard at an illegitimate child who got syphilis from his philandering father. No, wouldn't do. Just like I think it is absolutely gross to use disabilities as swear words. In Germany many people say: "That's so disabled" or if someone is very miserly people say "don't be so jewish". I think swear words should not be insulting on an individual level but really offend all mankind.

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 5:07pm Post subject: Swear words
In Germany many people say: "That's so disabled" or if someone is very miserly people say "don't be so jewish".
I don't know where exactly you live but I've never heard the second one.

As for the use of Auschwitz as a swearword I totally agree with John Steed and the others that it's unacceptable.
Besides, Bavarian has such a lovely variety of swearwords that I don't need to resort to those that insult minorities or disabled people and are not embedded in my own culture (and could therefore lead to insults and misunderstandings).

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 5:11pm Post subject: Swear words

As for the use of Auschwitz as a swearword I totally agree with John Steed and the others that it's unacceptable.
Besides, Bavarian has such a lovely variety of swearwords that I don't need to resort to those that insult minorities or disabled people and are not embedded in my own culture (and could therefore lead to insults and misunderstandings).

Walt Whitman

Nele

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 6:08pm Post subject: Swear words

Nele wrote:
In Germany many people say: "That's so disabled" or if someone is very miserly people say "don't be so jewish".

I don't know where exactly you live but I've never heard the second one.

Well, I live in Frankfurt am Main and I've often heard people say "Sei mal nicht so'n Jude." (Don't be such a Jew) or simply "Du Jude", especially in Bavaria among elderly people. In Frankfurt it is more said jokingly. By the way I tested "cunting Auschwitz" on my friends and people I know and can generally say that young Jews find it very amusing and absolutely o.k. while non Jewish lefties find it absolutely inadequat. I haven't asked my grandma how she likes "cunting Auschwitz", despite the fact that she has the filthiest mouth, simply because she was born in 36 and survived in emigration and I don't think she'd be very amused.

Another great swear word my father always uses is "that is so hetero". [/quote]