Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Squaredog

Posted Mon Apr 7th, 2008 3:09pm Post subject: Sycophancy...
I just joined today and was wondering if there would be any chance anyone would be interested in joining me in doing posts that aren't sycophantic?

flookwit

Posted Mon Apr 7th, 2008 4:33pm Post subject: Sycophancy...
Erm, I'm wondering what you have in mind, given this is a fan site

I'm no fan of sycophancy myself, but sometimes it's part of life (on all levels).

AxmxZ

Posted Mon Apr 7th, 2008 5:03pm Post subject: Sycophancy...
Sycophancy doesn't really mean fannish adoration. It means insidious flattery perpetrated on a person of means and standing by a social (and usually moral) inferior in hopes of material gain. (Not to mention its older meanings of calumny, treason and informing.) I don't think anyone here gains or hopes to gain anything by fawning over Fry.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Apr 7th, 2008 9:30pm Post subject: Sycophancy...
whenever someone says "fawning" i imagine an annoying baby deer trying to get in someone's lap. ow....hooves.

Britannicus

Posted Mon Apr 7th, 2008 9:39pm Post subject: Sycophancy...
Mr. Fry...

I love you.

*licks his eyeball and runs away giggling madly*

Now give me twenty dollars.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Apr 7th, 2008 9:41pm Post subject: Sycophancy...
oh great now i just imagined bambi sucking on eyeballs

AxmxZ

Posted Mon Apr 7th, 2008 11:17pm Post subject: Sycophancy...
If I had a choice of eyeball to lick, I'd want to lick Hugh's.

MusicalMaven

Posted Mon Apr 7th, 2008 11:25pm Post subject: Sycophancy...
I'll gaze longingly, stare menacingly, bat flirtatiously, but I won't lick anyone's eyeballs.

Just sayin'.

And I think that while I understand where the OP is coming from, I think that there's already a good balance of conversation about various topics that are well, only tangentially about Stephen Fry. If you want more, start 'em! You can't just say "who wants more non-sychophancy and not offer any alternatives.

So I'll ask: What you do want to talk about?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Apr 8th, 2008 5:22pm Post subject: Sycophancy...
you should check out general musings and all that. when something new of his is on tv, there's a lot of talking about it, but inbetweentimes there is just a lot of "what have you been up to today" also. and general multimedia you can talk about other books and movies not just stephen fry's.

which is nice since i guess he foots the bill for this,

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Apr 9th, 2008 4:21pm Post subject: Sycophancy...
We're not sycophantic here, just some of us have a tendency to go fangirl/boy in some topics but it depends on what we're talking about. There's a time for fun and a time for more serious discussion. They all find their place here. As for non-Fry related topics well there's tons just look at the community section boards.

Assuming direct control...