Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

wooden_elf

Posted Wed Oct 29th, 2008 7:36pm Post subject: Taking action
One thing that is bothering me a little and holding me back is that I'm not sure quite how far we are taking some of this. Firstly, I will say I am firmly behind any action to stop poaching of endangered species and the sale of ivory or anything else from those creatures, and I would most definitely like to help in some way to raise money for that cause.

But I'm a little concerned about the fact we are using the term "animal rights" here and there which does imply action or philosophy of different kinds. I am, I'm afraid, a meat eater and although I do my best to only eat well looked after animals, there is at heart a slight hypocrosy in that the animals are killed. I don't want to offend anyone who is a vegetarian but I don't actually intend to change my ways with that. I'm probably overthinking this and being oversensitive because of my own guilt trips but I guess I just want clarification.

Thank you for telling!!

When we are talking about action it's something we can do actively to collect money for our project. Like setting up a play (that is just an example). It has nothing to do with taking action against or for anything animalistic.

I'm also a meateater.

Thanks for clearing that up because I'm also a meateater and have been a bit unsure in the direction this was going. I am 100% behind the idea but think that it needs a bit of refining because there is so many ideas being bounced around.

Okay, to clarify. We are looking into conservation to save endangered species and to stop the use of ivory and skins as a purely decorative use. That is the organisations we want to support.

I also eat meat, though I am extra fussy about what I eat mainly due to dislike.

I hope this reassures you.

I know what we're looking into as I'm not a simpleton and can read quite well.It is HOW we are going to support these causes that needs clarifying. So far reading through these threads I have seen alot of great ideas all of which could be put into practice. What I wish to be clarifed is what EXACTLY will we be doing so I can then work out what I can do, what relevant skills I have. I only wish to support this cause but feel the need to air my opinion on the lack of clarity.

http://www.stephenfry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3471
This is as far as we've come so far.

wooden_elf

Posted Wed Oct 29th, 2008 8:42pm Post subject: Taking action
I know what we're looking into as I'm not a simpleton and can read quite well.It is HOW we are going to support these causes that needs clarifying. So far reading through these threads I have seen alot of great ideas all of which could be put into practice. What I wish to be clarifed is what EXACTLY will we be doing so I can then work out what I can do, what relevant skills I have. I only wish to support this cause but feel the need to air my opinion on the lack of clarity.

Well, did it clarify things?

amberzak

Posted Thu Oct 30th, 2008 12:03am Post subject: Taking action

I am sorry if I offended you. I did not mean t upset yu in anyway. I was clarifying for everyone, as not everyone has been following this as closely as you. Please do not be offended by what I wrote. I do not think you a simpleton.

The truth is that we haven't exactly organised all of the hows yet. I am waiting to hear from Andrew Sampson how much we can do, and how much support he and his team is able to give. We are just playing the waiting game right now.

So your opinion is very valid because we currently do not have clarity on exactly what we are doing. It is still early days.

Andrew said he will get back to me in a few days. I hope this helps, and I hope you have not taken offence to anything I have said, as I meant no offence.
I

TinaL

Posted Thu Oct 30th, 2008 7:39am Post subject: Taking action
Posted that 2 days ago but amberzak told me it was the wrong thread. I'm sorry, I'm confused sometimes^^
So here it is - in the right place:

I love all the ideas you have with books, shirts, etc...

but - even if I may sound reeeeeeeally stupid - couldn't we besides all this also just ask people around us? For a START...!?
I think about us writing some kind of leaflet which says who we are, how we got to this idea and for what we are collectiing money. We will offer the link of that leaflet to all of us, so everyone can print it. I would, for example, start to talk to people at University, to friends, to my school where I went, ...to every group I think worth to talk to. I guess there are more people who would give money without personal benefit (getting a book for it or sth) than we expect. Sure, we and our leaflet must sound serious, but that's no problem.
Aaaaaaand we could open a bank-account for that. We should do that anyway.

I know it's not such a big deal as all the other great ideas but it would give us a quite "organised" (cause of the leaflet that connects you in UK with you in Isreal, you in Sweden and me in Germany etc...and all the others I've left out - I love you too) start for all of us who can't wait to get in action

What do you think? I really mean it for a start.

gadgetgirl

Posted Thu Oct 30th, 2008 9:17am Post subject: Taking action
Just for the record - I like all of the ideas in the voting thread, I just was a bit unhappy about the tone of a couple of posts elsewhere. I don't want to be a hypocrite (or more of one).

That would be me.

wooden_elf

Posted Thu Oct 30th, 2008 10:42am Post subject: Taking action
Just for the record - I like all of the ideas in the voting thread, I just was a bit unhappy about the tone of a couple of posts elsewhere. I don't want to be a hypocrite (or more of one).

Thank you.

wooden_elf

Posted Thu Oct 30th, 2008 10:46am Post subject: Taking action
Posted that 2 days ago but amberzak told me it was the wrong thread. I'm sorry, I'm confused sometimes^^
So here it is - in the right place:

I love all the ideas you have with books, shirts, etc...

but - even if I may sound reeeeeeeally stupid - couldn't we besides all this also just ask people around us? For a START...!?
I think about us writing some kind of leaflet which says who we are, how we got to this idea and for what we are collectiing money. We will offer the link of that leaflet to all of us, so everyone can print it. I would, for example, start to talk to people at University, to friends, to my school where I went, ...to every group I think worth to talk to. I guess there are more people who would give money without personal benefit (getting a book for it or sth) than we expect. Sure, we and our leaflet must sound serious, but that's no problem.
Aaaaaaand we could open a bank-account for that. We should do that anyway.

I know it's not such a big deal as all the other great ideas but it would give us a quite "organised" (cause of the leaflet that connects you in UK with you in Isreal, you in Sweden and me in Germany etc...and all the others I've left out - I love you too) start for all of us who can't wait to get in action

What do you think? I really mean it for a start.

First off, you are not stupid. Your ideas are great! I love them.

We need to open a bank account for this. We just need to figure out how to get people from different countries reach it.

Leaflets is a great idea. We sure will put that on the "list".

Thank you for your input!

TinaL

Posted Thu Oct 30th, 2008 1:21pm Post subject: Taking action
There shouldn't be a problem with the bank account. Everyone who really wants to be a part of that will get the account number etc so that money can be put there.
And one person has to be the one with all the responsibilty

We don't have to pay sth extra for a transfer to a foreign bankaccount, do we?

wooden_elf

Posted Thu Oct 30th, 2008 1:23pm Post subject: Taking action
There shouldn't be a problem with the bank account. Everyone who really wants to be a part of that will get the account number etc so that money can be put there.

Yes, there has to be one person who's in charge of the bank account. I'm not sure if there is a fee to place money in a bank account. Something we need to check out. It might be different with different countries. But I was thinking we could see how paypal works.

amberzak

Posted Thu Oct 30th, 2008 1:31pm Post subject: Taking action

Yes, there has to be one person who's in charge of the bank account. I'm not sure if there is a fee to place money in a bank account. Something we need to check out. It might be different with different countries. But I was thinking we could see how paypal works.

There might already be a bank account connected to this website. And in any case, it would be up to the admin as to who would have the bank account.

Paypal is a great way to pass funds. I would insist that we have paypal or simular as an option.

wooden_elf

Posted Thu Oct 30th, 2008 1:34pm Post subject: Taking action

There might already be a bank account connected to this website. And in any case, it would be up to the admin as to who would have the bank account.

Paypal is a great way to pass funds. I would insist that we have paypal or simular as an option.

It's very sensitive since it would mean someone whom everyone trusts.