Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Jul 30th, 2007 8:04pm Post subject: Tales From Earthsea - Studio Ghibli's latest
Official Site

UK Trailer

Japanese Trailer

This is the first anime to be made by Goro Miyzaki (Hayao Miyazaki's son) and it's coming out next week! On the official site there's a list at the bottom of all the cinemas in the UK that will be showing it and the dates it will be released at them. The anime is loosely based on the third and fourth books of the Earthsea series, The Farthest Shore and Tehanu, by Ursula K. Le Guin as well as taking some bits from the first book. I haven't read the books butit looks interesting. I'll be going to the Manchester Cornerhouse to see it which is a lovely cinema. I wish we had somewhere like it where I live.

Assuming direct control...

Betsie

Posted Mon Sep 3rd, 2007 6:05am Post subject: Tales From Earthsea - Studio Ghibli's latest
OMG, I love Studio Ghibli films!!! Wish I didn't have to wait forever for them to get here, but they're always worth the wait.

Thanks for the heads up, amyl!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Sep 4th, 2007 7:42pm Post subject: Tales From Earthsea - Studio Ghibli's latest
You're welcome Betsie. You're right they're well worth the wait. The animation in Tales From Earthsea is good. Lovely landscapes and there are DRAGONS!!! Before the film started one of the cinema's staff came out and told everyone the film is dubbed and you can get a refund if you only wanted to see the subbed version! I bet some sad sack complained at the first showing about it being dubbed. Some anime fans can be really ott. Yes it's great watching an anime subbed but if it's dubbed I'm still grateful to be able to see it on the big screen. It's not a big deal I don't see the point in complaining over something like that.

Kari

Posted Mon Oct 15th, 2007 12:50pm Post subject: Tales From Earthsea - Studio Ghibli's latest
I know this is an old thread, but I felt like just giving my two cents on Gedo Senki (Tales from Earthsea).

Visually, it's wonderful. The hand drawn landscapes are STUNNING. I also enjoyed the colours, but that's a given with Ghibli films. The character designs were rather plain, although I think it suited the film.

The story was a little confused. Ghibli writers had to compress a rather long western book into a japanese style movie, and the storytelling style is very different. However, I do think it worked very well for what it was, and I did get a little teary at the very end when Therru folds her wings and Arren raises his hands to cradle her head.

The BEST part. THE MUSIC. The score was just gorgeous, and the song sung in the film by Aoi Teshima, Teru no Uta, is very very beautiful. She has a sultry beautiful voice. However, the very best song in the film was sung over the credits, and thus ignored by many people. Toki no Uta, Song of Time, is very very beautiful, also sung by Aoi Teshima. I listen to it often, since you can buy it off Japan's iTunes store. It starts off soft and slow and sad, singing about the sky and the wind, and raises to this wonderful hanging point "Kimi no uta wo.... utauyo", "Your song... I am singing."

Either way, I saw it three times at the cinema while it was there. While not as enthralling as Hauru no Ugoku Shiro (Howl's Moving Castle) or Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (Spirited Away), it is a wonderful film.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Oct 24th, 2007 10:11pm Post subject: Tales From Earthsea - Studio Ghibli's latest
NOT ENOUGH DRAGONS!

*sigh*

I had the same complaint of the film Dungeons and Dragons. Man that was a big effing disappointment. It didn't help that in the trailers beforehand they showed The Fellowship of the Rings and everyone's left drooling and ZOMGing!

Kari

Posted Thu Oct 25th, 2007 1:02pm Post subject: Tales From Earthsea - Studio Ghibli's latest
haha and I LOVED the dragon design for the film, too. Cute but cool, and the flames and sparks... I liked them.