Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

AK

Posted Thu Dec 18th, 2008 11:38am Post subject: Tennis Balls
Hi everyone,

Since I'm not a native speaker, I would like to ask if someone please can explain John Webster's quote: 'we are merely the stars' tennis balls, struck and banded. Which way please them.'

Thanks!

Soupy Twist

Posted Thu Dec 18th, 2008 1:07pm Post subject: Tennis Balls
Hi there. It's a metaphore. Like tennisballs we are "struck and banded" by external forces (the stars), our lives are not subject to our will.

AK

Posted Thu Dec 18th, 2008 2:48pm Post subject: Tennis Balls
Hi there. It's a metaphore. Like tennisballs we are "struck and banded" by external forces (the stars), our lives are not subject to our will.

I always thought it meant that you never what you know what your future is going to be, where's you'll end up. It's just fate...

Was i right?

I do have more problems with "which way please them." What does that mean exactly?

Thanks in advance!

Soupy Twist

Posted Thu Dec 18th, 2008 3:18pm Post subject: Tennis Balls

I always thought it meant that you never what you know what your future is going to be, where's you'll end up. It's just fate...

Was i right?
yes, that's just another way of putting it.

I do have more problems with "which way please them." What does that mean exactly?

I'd say "which way please them" = "as they please".