Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Tue Jul 28th, 2009 2:01pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
I'm gonna say this once and I don't give a damn if it sounds 'insensitive'.

If you 'text' while driving, you deserve for Death to accept your plea to leave this world early. The people you might hurt or kill in an accident do not and are not extending that invitation knowingly.

This goes for drunk drivers, those who operate video cameras, put on mascara, read paperwork, or do anything else but drive while driving.

Maybe if someone with hundreds of acres of land were willing to let these folks drive around and knock into each other, they'd take it off the public highways. In a confined area, it might even be called entertainment. "Watch the Idiots Drive!....get yer popcorn...get yer hotdogs..."

If you are behind the wheel and your car is moving FORWARD and you are looking DOWNWARD...erm...yeah..nevermind...logic has no place in your world....

Really? Wow.

Maxx England

Posted Tue Jul 28th, 2009 3:07pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
110% with you. Just because it's your own personal space inside the car, it does not mean you have to ignore/forget the world outside it.

Sorry if it upsets the women here, but too many of you treat driving as something tedious or beneath you; as important as "going to the bathroom", and for Invisible Friend's Sake, who tries to get good at that?

But that's just it, it is actually about life and death. Gawping at shops as you drive past, using rearview mirrors to put your faces on, leaning over the seat to talk to back seat passengers, it's just not good enough.

People do actually die because of this stuff. Drive properly and with every ounce of your ability or not at all.

That includes taking maintainance seriously, check tyre pressures often, make sure all the fluid reservoirs in the vehicle are at the correct level. Put the driver's seat in the right place to operate all the controls effectively. This will save your lives, and your kids, if you have them.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Jul 28th, 2009 3:32pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
I would like to stand up as a woman and say that I maintain my own car, I never text or speak on the phone while driving and I ALWAYS use my indicators!

I know a lot more men who are guilty of texting while driving than the women I know tbh. But that isn't important. I agree completely Nitro.

andrealein

Posted Tue Jul 28th, 2009 3:43pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
I'm also a little surprised why you would think it's mainly women who need to be told that. I know way more men who think everything's under control when actually it isn't and that they're so good at driving that it doesn't matter when they text etc.

tito

Member *

Posted Tue Jul 28th, 2009 5:24pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
110% with you. Just because it's your own personal space inside the car, it does not mean you have to ignore/forget the world outside it.

Sorry if it upsets the women here, but too many of you treat driving as something tedious or beneath you; as important as "going to the bathroom", and for Invisible Friend's Sake, who tries to get good at that?

But that's just it, it is actually about life and death. Gawping at shops as you drive past, using rearview mirrors to put your faces on, leaning over the seat to talk to back seat passengers, it's just not good enough.

People do actually die because of this stuff. Drive properly and with every ounce of your ability or not at all.

That includes taking maintainance seriously, check tyre pressures often, make sure all the fluid reservoirs in the vehicle are at the correct level. Put the driver's seat in the right place to operate all the controls effectively. This will save your lives, and your kids, if you have them.

Dear grossenbruder,

as you know I live on a busy road and I can tell you that the looney drivers and the texters/phone to ear folk are usually, and I mean over 90% of the time, men.

I have never seen a woman, while in the driver's seat, look at her hair, make-up in the mirror.

And for women gawping at shops?

Heaven forbid we should start counting all you fellas twisting your heads backwards a seemingly impossible number of degrees to leer at females!

I've yet to see any woman hanging out of a vehicle window, shouting at people,
'Oi! Darlin'' etc.

Not a great degree of road concentration going on when someone is looking to the side and attempting to strike up a conversation with a passing woman.

And, I have personal experience, espesh in my youth, of men doing this to a massive degree.

Now your dear niece endures it.

If you want to make a point about road safety then by all means do.

But if it turns into a defensive discussion about stereotyping, (Tito hates stereotyping, it's lazy), the important issue, ie: curtailing road deaths, is missed.

I do love you but I think you are silly re: women.

PamJH

Posted Tue Jul 28th, 2009 5:55pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
I'd like to stand up and defend women but in this case I can't. And I am one.

I'm on the expressways a lot, 60 miles three times a week and more. Yes, I see both men and women talking on their phones (not me as I don't have one). But women are the ones doing the texting. You can tell because they've got the phone propped on the steering wheel and they're looking down at it instead of at the road. I don't see men doing this. I imagine some do, but I don't see them.

I wish people wouldn't use the phone while driving. My sisters all do and get annoyed when I tell them to call me from home. People should drive when they're driving - Nothing else. But in the interests of full disclosure, I'm guilty of having a bottle of water or a container of coffee to sip, but not much else.

But here's what men do - they drive far too fast for road conditions. Some of the younger guys are very scary indeed.

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Jul 28th, 2009 5:57pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
Lookout Maxx, I think they're starting to pile the wood for ya. Put down the matches ladies, y'all know he can't help himself. X-D X-D X-D

But here's what men do - they drive far too fast for road conditions. Some of the younger guys are very scary indeed.

Hey now, I'm not feelin' the love. X-D

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

PamJH

Posted Tue Jul 28th, 2009 6:04pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
Lookout Maxx, I think they're starting to pile the wood for ya. Put down the matches ladies, y'all know he can't help himself. X-D X-D X-D

Hey now X-D

Maxx is a witch? Are we having a witch-burning? Yippee!

You don't drive too fast, do you Toby? On those lonely Texas side roads with nary another auto in sight? Naw, not you.

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Jul 28th, 2009 6:15pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
You don't drive too fast, do you Toby? On those lonely Texas side roads with nary another auto in sight? Naw, not you.

I do drive fast sometimes, I admit it, and I have been known to make my own side roads. X-D but I do live in the country where there isn't much traffic. I wouldn't think of driving that way in Austin or Dallas.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

PamJH

Posted Tue Jul 28th, 2009 6:17pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...

I do drive fast sometimes, I admit it, and I have been known to make my own side roads. X-D but I do live in the country where there isn't much traffic. I wouldn't think of driving that way in Austin or Dallas.

Gosh, no. You'd be killed. The traffic around Dallas is nuts. I've only driven in it a couple of times and that was enough for me. But I'll still visit, of course.

gadgetgirl

Posted Tue Jul 28th, 2009 8:50pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
I have seen a woman doing her make up. I'd say it's 50/50 using their mobile whilst driving.

That would be me.

tito

Member *

Posted Tue Jul 28th, 2009 9:18pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
The point is this, blaming either sex for 'this and that' is futile. (And something, I am ashamed to say, I was earlier drawn into myself)

There are good women drivers and bad ones.

The same with men.

Anyone who texts while driving or uses their phone, or does something dangerous, whether leering at girls or applying mascara should be dealt with properly.

If we just descend into a ridiculous battle of the sexes, (I don't subscribe to it by the by, I believe we are different to each other for very good, sound reasons. Reasons which ought to be celebrated instead of us using them to point score against each other), we achieve absolutely nothing.

Insulting someones sex in an unfair generalisation is hardly going to encourage them to drive carefully. It's more likely to just get their back up.

It's actually an insult to their intelligence.

I will just go back to the original point. People who are found texting whilst driving should receive a driving ban or jail sentence.

Whether boy or girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elTweeno

Posted Tue Jul 28th, 2009 9:44pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...

I personally see no gender differences in driving ability - I do however notice the arrogance of men who believe they're naturally better at it, and my own car is Exhibit A when it comes to arguing on that one. I've seen as many bad female drivers as male drivers, BUT...

In my house growing up there were 3 women & 1 man (my dad). Until just before I passed my test, both of my parents drove and shared a car, and it was ALWAYS my mum who maintained it, even though my dad used it daily & she didn't. By the time I was 10, even I knew how to maintain a car to a basic level and would help with whatever I could. Now, I share a car with my dad while my mum has given up driving, and I'm the only one maintaining it - even though I live at the other side of the country. I have to check it thoroughly & give it a bit of TLC every single time I go up there because my dad simply doesn't bother, even as the sole driver. I'm not sure if my household is simply odd, but somehow I doubt this is uncommon.

Luckily my dad is a bit of a luddite & doesn't text behind the wheel...but have you ever watched someone fumble around to find a lighter, get a cigarette out of a packet in the cup-holder, then light said cigarette and put the lighter away, all while driving down a motorway? It's seriously scary to be their passenger, I can tell you

(And, how do you know men aren't applying mascara in their rear-view mirrors? ;))

I'm also on Twitter: elTweeno (of course!)

michael

Posted Tue Jul 28th, 2009 10:38pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...

(And, how do you know men aren't applying mascara in their rear-view mirrors? ;))

or while straddling them

yeeeeeee haw!

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

michael

Posted Tue Jul 28th, 2009 10:39pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
aside: i LOVE seeing my sig under that pic!!!! :)

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name