Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

PamJH

Posted Tue Jul 28th, 2009 10:44pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
Michael, that is seriously hilarious, if that makes any sense.

synelg

Posted Wed Jul 29th, 2009 1:29am Post subject: Texting while diriving...
Oh Maxx. Oh Maxx. X-D Did you not know that the stats have said for decades now that men have far, far more motor vehicle accidents than women, in NZ anyway and in the UK if I've got my facts right. I can pull the stats for you if you like - part of my job. X-D

gadgetgirl

Posted Wed Jul 29th, 2009 11:50am Post subject: Texting while diriving...
aside: i LOVE seeing my sig under that pic!!!! :) Congrats - you rescued the thread X-D X-D X-D

That would be me.

Maxx England

Posted Wed Jul 29th, 2009 12:44pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
I'm not criticising anybody who takes the job seriously. It also seems that many of you do accept responsibility for your actions. This pleases me, it means you'll be around here instead of inhabiting a hospital bed or a pine box.

Men vs women:

men tend towards a mindset where they believe utterly in their ability to drive quickly and safely, regardless of whether or not they actually possess any. Too often, they treat the public highway, with all it's other users and hazards as a private racetrack; Tito knows I despise and revile these weaklings who aren't big enough to get out on a real racetrack against real racers.

There is, and don't try and tell me it doesn't exist, an attitude amongst many women, that anything they don't find in magazines or television aimed at the female market is to be regarded as irrelevant or, worse, stupid and is rejected.

I can't make any coment about anywhere else in the world, but round here, we have the whole spectrum of faulty driving. Unfortunately, all the stereotypes are there, in the flesh, large as life, eejit men trying to look 'ard, women with their minds on everything except driving.

I try these days to combine a female sense of self preservation (I will remind all of you that if I have stated that given a choice of a female airline pilot or a male, I'll go for the female, she will be far less likely to say, "Let's give it a go, I'm sure I can get it between those two mountains") and a masculine (Asperger's, anyone?) understanding of spatial relationships.

Phones? Bizarre, warped as it seems, there is no law in any country that I know of that says you have to have a mobile phone switched on all the time. I usually turn mine off when driving. If you're stationary or crawling at .5 mph, you have time to turn it on. And off when the holdup disappears.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Maxx England

Posted Wed Jul 29th, 2009 1:26pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
I'm going to add to this. Most countries have some sort of Advanced Driving institution. I've been through a course and test on a motorcycle and passed. What population percentage in any country, regardless of gender, bother to do this?

Speed limits, I stick to them and annoy drivers behind me. Didn't used to, and looking back, I was lucky beyond belief in getting away with some of the stuff I did. But I'm not a hypocrite, I can't complain at accidents which happened as a result of or were worsened by inappropriate speed if I do it myself. Driving at the limit's actually saved two lives, seriously, when dumb bunnies stepped out without looking, and I had time to stop before an impact occurred.

Male/female understanding of spatial relationships: there is considerable overlap, but many women ignore vast safe gaps in the traffic when pulling out from a side road. Why? This is a major contrast to many men who will just go for it and rely on a heavy right foot to get them out of danger. And many men get frustrated waiting in queues caused by women unable to recognise when it is safe or not to pull out. Then they go and do something dumb and impatient themselves. Yes, the man had the accident, but what was the initial trigger for it?

I play guitar, it's been a long road, but I can do it now and this is in spite of no natural ability with music. I faced up to it and learned through perseverance. If anyone here struggles with spatial and motion relationships when driving, don't brush it under the carpet and ignore the issue, persevere and learn about speed and safety and what you can and can't do in a motor vehicle. It might be as hard for you as guitar was for me, but it-will-keep-you-alive.

Q: why do so many women fail to understand that the accelerator pedal can be their friend? It's not just there for that half of the population with overactive trousers. And, conversely, learn how to brake hard and safely in all weather conditions. Panic is not an option when you're heading towards the nasty jagged back of a suddenly stopped truck that's been swung, macho, in the gap you'd left as a safe braking distance. Learn the safe courses of action before as many situations as possible, then apply them when needed.

There's no excuse for most accidents. Most of them are human error, male or female, and I'm sufficiently self interested to want to retain my health, licence and property in one piece. Taking responsibility for my actions is a good starting point. Am I unanimous on this?

tito

Member *

Posted Wed Jul 29th, 2009 1:41pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
Maxx dear,

here is a lesson I learned (resulting from our quite hideous upbringing) and have tried to adhere to all my adult life.

If you wish people to the right thing, whatever the circumstances, you will never, ever achieve it by being critical of them.

You used an analogy recently yourself re: prof Gates. (Honey and Vinegar).

Lastly, as for PEOPLE becoming impatient at others who don't pull out quickly enough at junctions, what I would say to them is this.

Grow up!

Anyone who can't exercise self control and plunges into a childish little tantrum because they've had to wait 45 seconds longer to pull out than they really needed to, shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel of a car.

Driving should only be open to adults.

And with this I am, most definitely unanimous

PamJH

Posted Wed Jul 29th, 2009 1:56pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
You know what I find as I get older? I need a little more time to pull out into an intersection. I don't think my reaction times are what they used to be and I figure if I need 4 or 5 more seconds, well, the folks behind me will just have to lump it.

Spatial relationships? I believe that's why my spouse can pack more into a car trunk than I can. It's like watching him build something with legos.

Michael, I'd like another hilarious picture, please. Something to do with cars.

michael

Posted Wed Jul 29th, 2009 4:16pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...

well i have this!

from now on, whenever i hear a conversation on this forum about gender differences spoken in absolute AND ESPECIALLY BINARY terms, i am getting in this goddamnawesomefucking pink tank and staying there.

there's a huge stash of raspberry zingers in there.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

PamJH

Posted Wed Jul 29th, 2009 4:28pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
Michael, that will do nicely. If only I had pink tank to drive on I-94.

TobiasMonk

Posted Wed Jul 29th, 2009 5:07pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...

well i have this!

from now on, whenever i hear a conversation on this forum about gender differences spoken in absolute AND ESPECIALLY BINARY terms, i am getting in this goddamnawesomefucking pink tank and staying there.

there's a huge stash of raspberry zingers in there.

Raspberry Zingers X-D X-D X-D

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Maxx England

Posted Wed Jul 29th, 2009 5:13pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
Re impatient drivers who have been enraged by the apparent excess caution of others: I never said I condone them. I still maintain that we are all on the road together, and in a busy world, is it kindly, polite, caring, for people to be unnecessarily obstructive? Tell me none of you hasn't seen someone doing that.

I reiterate, most of our abilities can be improved by working at them; it should therefore be possible to replace inability to deal with the speed and distance of others with a properly constructed view of the world as it stands a given time. All actions performed from that point onwards would then offer the optimum blend of safety and motion.

Knowledge, understanding and correct application of them is the answer. And turning that blinding phone of for once in your life. Nothing bad will happen to you, your legs won't drop off, the sky will stay where it is, plagues of nuns and toads will not be visited upon you. Turn the phone off while you're driving.

http://www.iam.org.uk/

http://www.iam.org.uk/links/roadsafetyamerica.htm

http://www.iam.org.uk/links/roadsafetyothercountries.htm

michael

Posted Wed Jul 29th, 2009 5:13pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
they were my favorite kind

Maxx England

Posted Wed Jul 29th, 2009 5:16pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
ps,

love the pink tank.

michael

Posted Wed Jul 29th, 2009 5:28pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
ps,

love the pink tank.

thanks!

but please Maxx,
do me a favor and quit talking about gender differences in absolutes!

i don't want to see a big three paragraph rationale for it, i don't want to see another long debate about it...i just want it to stop. ok?

Maxx England

Posted Wed Jul 29th, 2009 5:41pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
I believe I said stuff in effect that there are areas overlapping or identical; but if you were to stand on my street corner, you would also see "traditional" patterns of behaviour occurring. I'm not saying things to put anyone down or reinforce unthinking images, but I do say what I see.

If we are to hold to our self image as liberal minded individuals, am I to suppress the facts in front of me, or expose them to the world for that world to deal with?