Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Maxx England

Posted Tue Aug 4th, 2009 11:49am Post subject: Texting while diriving...
I simply divorce speed in itself from the concept of risk; however, if speed is involved in a hazardous situation, I am immensely aware of my own squashy human mortality.

I think what I've been trying to get at is that we should not focus solely on speed as a cause of accidents and injury. We should be looking at those generally human factors that bring the energy and mass and structure of a solid object (the vehicle) into contact with other objects, to the great detriment of all concerned.

Can I bring up the comment I made about an impatient driver having/causing an accident after being wound up by a slow or over cautious one? I never condoned the action of the impatient; I merely intended to point out that we have a duty of care not to cause circumstances where accidents can happen, and that includes having the simple good manners, in a modern world with it's culture of urgency and rushing, not to disregard the often legitimate urgency of others.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Aug 4th, 2009 2:39pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
That's right Max, there is the physics in it all, but perhaps (cos i did breeze in uninvited!) the main point of the dialogue about speed etc is the one you make - we should all think about each other a bit more on the roads - stay cool Maxi .

Chrissie-babe Hi-hat Forest Cat from Epping

PamJH

Posted Tue Aug 4th, 2009 2:52pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
Consideration for each other. Now that's a good idea.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Aug 4th, 2009 4:04pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...

?

PamJH

Posted Tue Aug 4th, 2009 4:44pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...

?

I was just agreeing with you.

synelg

Posted Wed Aug 5th, 2009 7:41am Post subject: Texting while diriving...
However, I won't be tempted to come to this thread any more, as it's obvious your mind is closed and you're just going to stick to the opinions you've obviously had for a long time.

Actually, re-reading this, that was very rude of me to make that statement. And not constructive at all. I apologise to you for this Maxx.

PamJH

Posted Wed Aug 5th, 2009 2:49pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
While i was driving to work yesterday, I saw two people listening to the same phone. I thought it odd for a couple of reasons. It isn't safe and don't cell phones have speakerphone capabilities?

Maxx England

Posted Wed Aug 5th, 2009 7:09pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...
However, I won't be tempted to come to this thread any more, as it's obvious your mind is closed and you're just going to stick to the opinions you've obviously had for a long time.

Actually, re-reading this, that was very rude of me to make that statement. And not constructive at all. I apologise to you for this Maxx.

We shrug our shoulders and walk on. Life happens and we sometimes make mistakes (I don't, I'm absolutely perfect me, a god amongst mortals. Honest).

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Aug 10th, 2009 12:04am Post subject: Texting while diriving...

PamJH said:

?

thanks - an autistic moment i think for me

care is at the centre of it all eh PamJH

Chris

Soph

Posted Mon Aug 10th, 2009 10:54am Post subject: Texting while diriving...

I'm fucking pissed off by the comments using words such as 'autistic' and 'aspergers' in conversation for humourous effect. I find it offensive. With it being part 'manic depressive' forum I'd expect people to be less insensitive.

Photobucket

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Aug 10th, 2009 11:21pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...

Dormouse said:

?

thanks - an autistic moment i think for me

care is at the centre of it all eh PamJH

Chris

Well i absolutely agree with you Soph - from which you may take it that i meant it literally - i was having an autistic moment - having what is supposedly 'high functioning autism' .... and the explanation of the use was that PamJH brief statement was so unemphatically constructed i could gain no clue to its meaning ......
"Consideration for each other. Now that's a good idea" PamJH wrote .... and this statement meant nothing concrete - it is difficult to explain why it has no sense to me other than as two short statements .... but i strongly suspect that the majority of people would understand the colloquial isit meaning and sense what she meant.(which she then kindly explains.

I guess it is thoughtless to have described my thinking that way because it assumes the reader knows what i have just said above, which they and you didn't, of cousre.

so thanks for pointing that out, hope you see i don't use sterotyping/predudial humour, and simply am stupid really .... big smiles

chris

Nitro

Posted Mon Aug 10th, 2009 11:30pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...

Eggshells meet readers...

Really? Wow.

Soph

Posted Tue Aug 11th, 2009 8:14pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...

Dormouse said:
Well i absolutely agree with you Soph - from which you may take it that i meant it literally - i was having an autistic moment - having what is supposedly 'high functioning autism' .... and the explanation of the use was that PamJH brief statement was so unemphatically constructed i could gain no clue to its meaning ......
"Consideration for each other. Now that's a good idea" PamJH wrote .... and this statement meant nothing concrete - it is difficult to explain why it has no sense to me other than as two short statements .... but i strongly suspect that the majority of people would understand the colloquial isit meaning and sense what she meant.(which she then kindly explains.

I guess it is thoughtless to have described my thinking that way because it assumes the reader knows what i have just said above, which they and you didn't, of cousre.

so thanks for pointing that out, hope you see i don't use sterotyping/predudial humour, and simply am stupid really .... big smiles

chris

I am sorry, Dormouse. I shouldn't of assumed that of you. I think it was the built up becuase I've already read such comments recently that was meant in a negative. Once before in this thread and twice in another. I'm truly sorry, I do really like my furry friend. : ]

Photobucket

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Aug 11th, 2009 9:17pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...

aah i like being liked and I was being careless with my words ....

< smiles take care

katysara

Posted Tue Aug 11th, 2009 9:40pm Post subject: Texting while diriving...

I'm left wondering, do they teach physics different in the USA to the UK?

KSx

I am an administrator on this site.

"Having a great intellect is no path to being happy."
~ Stephen Fry

See my website: www.katysaraculling.com