Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

nimdokk

Posted Thu Jan 1st, 2009 7:13pm Post subject: Thank You!
I just want to say thanks for this episode. I've studied language quite a bit and while I admit I am one of those people who cringes when people butcher language heedlessly (at least in business situations). As you pointed out, when you go to an interview, you wear a nice dress shirt and tie and look appropriate. Likewise, language used in the professional world ought to be appropriate. I agree that language should change, in fact it must change, evolve or it will die. I'm not one to point out the "faults" in usage that other people might make there are a few that grate on my ears like finger nails on a chalk board (turning a noun into a verb in situations where it was uncalled for, especially when the person who did it was always on about "proper" use of English). To my ear, it doesn't demonstrate the joys of language, but simply an individual's laziness.

I would recommend the book "Linguistics" by Jean Aitchison (from the Teach Yourself series) as a good introduction to this topic to anyone who is not familiar with the structure of language.

Again, many thanks for this episode. I intend to have several people listen to this (people who would enjoy listening to essay's about language an its use).

As always, I look forward to the next installment.