Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

celtic princess

Posted Wed Oct 1st, 2008 8:02pm Post subject: Thank you for being so open
I dont know if this is the correct page for this,but here goes.

I just saw you on BBC one show and had to let you know...

I have seen many of your interview in the past & I have always admired and loved the fact that you are so open about your bi-polar disorder.

Thank you for making it more open & hopefully easier for people to speak about.

Veg Chick

Posted Tue Oct 14th, 2008 12:39pm Post subject: Thank you for being so open
I'll second that. Thank you!

I am nothing

abbygail

Posted Tue Nov 18th, 2008 11:57pm Post subject: Thank you for being so open
Yes thank you Stephen. Your openness has forced people to realise that you can be bipolar AND intelligent AND function AND live a meaningful and productive (if not always easy!) life.

amberzak

Posted Wed Nov 19th, 2008 12:00am Post subject: Thank you for being so open
On this point (although this really should have been in the bipolar section), one of my friends has said that the SLOAMD saved her life. Watching that documentary, she started to realise what was wrong with her, and now she is on longer always on the edge.

tawny

Posted Mon Feb 16th, 2009 1:21pm Post subject: Thank you for being so open
I also say thank you, Stephen. I live in Australia with my husband and four children. We have had many challenges to face together, my husband has always had a social problem and a very serious anger problem. About 12 months ago, he tried to start a home business that "would make us rich" and within a few months he turned very manic - I didn't know what was going on, I thought that his lack of sleep and food was deteriorating his brain. I tried to get him help, but on one hand he could see he had a problem but then he would scream it was me with the problem. He became violent, aggressive and finally paranoid and delusional. It wasn't until I moved out with the children (to give me some sleep mainly!) that he finally went to the hospital for "help" and of course they could see the severe mania and "sedated" him and put him in our closest hospital with a mental ward (1 and 1/2 hours drive away from us). I received a phone call after three days of being away to say my husband was safe in Traralgon hospital. I was so relieved that he was safe. I told them to tell him I loved him and would be down to see him the next day. I prepared myself for the mental ward and saw my husband, who really looked like a crazed man by this stage. It was horrible, nobody really explained anything to me. It was about a week after that, he was told he probably had Bipolar. I googled Bipolar and was astonished to read all the symptoms he was displaying, even the delusions! Why hadn't I seen this sooner, maybe he might not have gone severely manic had I been able to get him help sooner? However, I was slightly relieved to learn that medication and CBT could help. He was allowed home after only three weeks, and was still a little manic even then. Then within a couple of weeks, he flipped over to depression. He's been in this awful depression for 6 months now and the only help he's getting is medication changes, no CBT, no psyciatrists, nothing - he has a case manager at the community mental health who sees him occasionally - but basically again it's me. It's destroying our marriage and I am struggling to keep our children happy. They're aware of what's going on but I'm left feeling like a single parent with a husband who is now a piece of furniture. I am hating him more and more for the past treatment I've put up with, I've always been there for him in times of stress and now I could be there for ever! I am fighting depression myself actually because of this situation. The girl Zoe you spoke with is very similar to him, he's struggling with the anxiety that he cannot function, this is a vicious circle and I am his only support. I am no longer a wife but a carer and he still wants a wife. He loves me so much, but the awful things he's done to me have left me with little love. However, I have stood by him because of stressful circumstances and I've taken all the stress for him. He cannot survive without me, yet him being here in this state is pushing me away, and he can feel this which also much make him feel useless and anxious anyway! He's really getting no help at all. I need respite desperately, but have no real option! Seeing your story makes me realise the workers that are supposed to be helping him are doing JACK-SHIT! I am now going to research CBT and find him some real help, because if he keeps trying at this pace, he'll be in this state for years and by then I will have left! I don't want to leave, I want the husband that I fell in love with back. I will try again! Thank you again and good luck Stephen, I so admire your courage and strength to push through the anxiety.

Ilinichna

Posted Thu Mar 5th, 2009 8:28pm Post subject: Thank you for being so open
Thank You for everything you have done, Your book changed my life. Let's go to Rio de Janeiro?