Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nik2740

Posted Fri Apr 11th, 2008 11:27am Post subject: Thanks
During the dull experience of travelling on First Capital Connect between Alexandra Palace and Old Street this morning you not only educated but entertained me. For this, I thank you.

karen m

Posted Fri Apr 11th, 2008 11:39pm Post subject: Thanks
yes, would like to add a thankyou mr fry for brightening up my days with your humour and intellect in your fantastic podgrams which fit in quite nicely on the journey to work or the half hour break which you make more joyous x

whatonearth

Posted Mon Apr 14th, 2008 7:21pm Post subject: Thanks
I loved this one. Very funny, although I'm not too sure about his argument that only humans can 'uglify' things...hmm. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it a lot. Even the hacking coughing at the beginning.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Apr 14th, 2008 7:44pm Post subject: Thanks
I'm always talking about how our local council uglifies the town. They really do. They believe in tearing down lovely old buildings and replacing them with ugly ugly new buildings. We have a lot of horrid buildings from the 60s. My town is not beautiful. They're always ripping away the old or defacing it beyond recognition so it becomes ugly and I can hardly bear to look at it. I really want to move to another city.

Assuming direct control...

JSKanga84

Posted Mon Apr 14th, 2008 8:21pm Post subject: Thanks
Oh, I agree. In the town my parents live in, they're constantly cutting down trees, bulldozing tons of beautiful countryside to make ugly little office buildings or boring, cookie-cutter houses. I realize that sometimes cities can be lovely and quite aesthetically pleasing, but in general, all I've ever seen people do is destroy the beauty of Creation.

whatonearth

Posted Mon Apr 14th, 2008 8:25pm Post subject: Thanks
But see, it reminds me of what David Attenborough said:

Even more unusual, and not a little frustrating for Attenborough, is that viewers reject, often aggressively, his expositions on evolution in favour of Creationism.

"It is something I get frequent letters about," he says. "They always start with sweet reasonableness, you know, 'We love your programs, isn't nature marvellous', and so on. But they always go on to say, 'We do wonder why it is that you don't give credit to the almighty God who created each one of these species individually.'

"My response," he says, "is that when Creationists talk about God creating every individual species as a separate act, they always instance hummingbirds, or orchids, sunflowers and beautiful things. But I tend to think instead of a parasitic worm that is boring through the eye of a boy sitting on the bank of a river in West Africa, [a worm] that's going to make him blind. And [I ask them], 'Are you telling me that the God you believe in, who you also say is an all-merciful God, who cares for each one of us individually, are you saying that God created this worm that can live in no other way than in an innocent child's eyeball? Because that doesn't seem to me to coincide with a God who's full of mercy'."

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Apr 14th, 2008 8:41pm Post subject: Thanks
Reminds me of Monty Python's All Things Dull and Ugly.

JSKanga84

Posted Mon Apr 14th, 2008 11:35pm Post subject: Thanks
I'm not talking about creationism; I'm talking about bad city planning and greed. It's much cheaper to cut down trees and build new buildings than renovate the existing ones. So we end up losing the natural beauty so that some dumbass can make a few extra bucks. Pisses me off, man.

whatonearth

Posted Tue Apr 15th, 2008 5:50am Post subject: Thanks
I'm not talking about creationism; I'm talking about bad city planning and greed. It's much cheaper to cut down trees and build new buildings than renovate the existing ones. So we end up losing the natural beauty so that some dumbass can make a few extra bucks. Pisses me off, man.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about creationism, I was just following on from my earlier post about why I'm not sure I entirely agree with Stephen's (or is it Oscar's?) point that humans are the only creatures that can make things uglier. I didn't even notice that both our posts had the word 'creation' in them.

JSKanga84

Posted Tue Apr 15th, 2008 2:15pm Post subject: Thanks
Ah, it's all good. I just get worked up when I think about how people get consumed by the idea of making money at the expense of the natural world around them. :-//

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Apr 15th, 2008 4:51pm Post subject: Thanks

It makes me angry too. They do shit like that here a lot. Lovely old Victorian building they go and knock it down because it's cheaper than fixing the problems theng one forever. Then there's the let's build on every last bit of green space we can find. At least they've started knocking down some of the fugly '60s mostrosities down and plan to remove more. They've admitted they're ugly.

Britannicus

Posted Tue Apr 15th, 2008 4:59pm Post subject: Thanks
Whatever happened to pride of design? Gorgeous valleys are now wall-to-wall with a thousand copies of the same exact ugly house. And guess what? NOBODY'S BUYING THEM, NO WAY!!!!

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

JSKanga84

Posted Tue Apr 15th, 2008 11:24pm Post subject: Thanks
Exactly!! It's so frustrating; especially when they go in and bulldoze a place that I really treasured. For example, in the neighborhood where I grew up, there was a huge empty field on two sides of my house, and we used to see deer and coyotes and stuff out there. It was so beautiful and blooming with wildflowers in the spring, and just generally beautiful. Recently, though, they've decided to build a bunch of houses out there, which really made me mad, because I know they're going to be those cookie cutter homes. Ugly, plain, boring, etc. So there won't be any more quiet, dewy mornings, any randomly breathtaking glimpses of deer flying across the fields, any hawk or owl sightings, any wildflowers. Nope, none of that anymore. :'(

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Apr 16th, 2008 6:05pm Post subject: Thanks
Exactly!! It's so frustrating; especially when they go in and bulldoze a place that I really treasured. For example, in the neighborhood where I grew up, there was a huge empty field on two sides of my house, and we used to see deer and coyotes and stuff out there. It was so beautiful and blooming with wildflowers in the spring, and just generally beautiful. Recently, though, they've decided to build a bunch of houses out there, which really made me mad, because I know they're going to be those cookie cutter homes. Ugly, plain, boring, etc. So there won't be any more quiet, dewy mornings, any randomly breathtaking glimpses of deer flying across the fields, any hawk or owl sightings, any wildflowers. Nope, none of that anymore. :'(

Oh reading that's made me feel really down. You must be really sad to lose what sounds like a lovely special place to you.

JSKanga84

Posted Wed Apr 16th, 2008 6:21pm Post subject: Thanks
Yeah, home isn't the same anymore, but I'll just have to find a new nature spot someplace.