Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Sat Nov 21st, 2009 5:05am Post subject: That book thing

Forget what that big digital book holder is called. Wondering if anyone here has one and if they're using it?

They're supposed to hold hundreds of books in 'tablet'.

I still don't know if my love for the tactile feel of a paper book will be someting I'm willing to let go of. Appreciating the binding, type and size of the text, that new book smell ( :green: )...noticing if pages have a more slippery linen feel or courser weight of paper...all these tactice experiences go into reading books for me...

but i like to think i'm open minded regarding technology...
so long as it's not just plain stupid

Really? Wow.

Sententia

Posted Sat Nov 21st, 2009 9:25am Post subject: That book thing

Do you mean the Kindle? http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons-Original-Wire.....B000FI73MA

I've not used one. I agree that giving up the sensation of physically holding a book would take away from the experience, though. The smell, weight, and differing texts all make it more pleasurable to read. Each book wouldn't seem like such a unique adventure.

My twits: @avarwaen

Sententia

Posted Fri Dec 4th, 2009 10:09pm Post subject: That book thing

There doesn't seem to be much interest in this, but I feel I should notify you of Kindle's 2010 competitor, Skiff. It focuses more on newspaper and magazine formats than e-books.

"Publishers will be able to render and ship their content to a number of devices, including the iPhone, but Hearst is also working on its own Kindle competitor that will be the flagship of the Skiff system. Skiff promises better graphics and better layouts of digital content, which is encouraging, but it'll also allow the easy injection of advertising into paid content -- something we're less happy to see making the transition over from print. As rumored many publishers are said to be signing on soon, with Sprint providing connectivity."

Via Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/04/hearst-corp-cre.....-for-publ/

The idea of advertising within these formats is the most upsetting so far. Having a couple pages at the end of a paperback advertising other books is one thing. It's something you're obviously interested in already and is easily passed over if you're not. Integrated books and advertising? It would be like putting commercials in the middle of movies.

Perhaps I'm thinking too far ahead. If advertisement is restricted to magazine/newspaper formats, it wouldn't be much different than non digital forms (except fliers wouldn't litter the floor when you go to read it). However, it wouldn't surprise me if this eventually became the norm for e-books as well. Publishers will have to make money somehow.

My twits: @avarwaen

famn

Posted Sun Jan 24th, 2010 4:19pm Post subject: That book thing

LOVE my kindle (Kindle 2) and use it all the time.

Living out of my home country at the moment and can't afford the space to buy too many books... but still love new books at least weekly... Kindle is saving container space and keeping the husband happy with that thought.
Screen is easy on the eyes. Navigation is a pain though - they need to add Directory structure as I have only had it a few months and have 75 titles. You can only list by Author or Title and no capacity for subfolders or categorisation so a bit messy here - probably something a-kin to my office desk... hee...hee..

pnowda

Posted Wed Feb 24th, 2010 5:22am Post subject: That book thing

I am now on my third Sony Reader (can't resist upgrading). While there is nothing that can replace the tactile joy of a leather-bound book with pages so thin they are almost transparent and the shine of gilding on the edges...there is something truly wondrous about holding 180+ books in your hand in a device smaller than a paperback. Travelling is a whole new experience for me: not being stuck on a long flight with the new book I bought in the airport and then found out I hated, not running out of books in a foreign hotel and being stuck with the crappy romance novel left behind by the guest before you, not having to layer my suitcase in books and still worry that I haven't brought enough.
I am jealous of the Kindle's instantaneous gratification with wireless downloading but I prefer owning my E-book files. Sony allows for books to be organized in 'Collections' to assist in locating the desired book, though Kindle may do the same. Also, I adore the incorporated light as opposed to an external attachment (though I guess I am in the minority there as they promptly took it out for the next version).
My last comment, for over 20 years I moved from apartment to apartment with about 20 boxes of books. Books overflowed all my kitchen cabinets and shelves. I spent the last 5-years obtaining electronic versions and now my whole library (except for a some first editions and my science books that aren't electronified yet) is on one machine with an internet backup. That is my definition of happiness.

gadgetgirl

Posted Wed Feb 24th, 2010 9:18pm Post subject: That book thing

I have an iRex iliad which was one of the first e-ink devices and is a bit out of date compared now (the screen refresh is very slow and it doesn't have newspaper support like the newer devices). I have a huge pile of books on there (helped in no end by Project Gutenberg) and it is brilliant to carry on trips. I use it for reading pdfs too, rather than print everything out at work. It's not a nice as the smell of a new (or old) book in your hand but its so much more convenient.

I've thought of upgrading to a newer ereader but which? The kindle has improved greatly but whilst you can get stuff delivered wirelessly, Amazon can also take it away wirelessly (they pulled 1984 of all things!!). Plus it can cost a lot in the UK to deliver newspapers OTA. The sony readers look nice, but have a much smaller screen than I'm used to.

On top of all this they need to sort out the restrictions on where you can buy ebooks and fix a format. Mobipocket is the only commercial one supported by my iRex but some of the books I bought a couple of years ago are now restricted to the US only. Thankfully they've not made this retrospective, but most of the new titles I'd like I can't get I guess the publishers are lagging behind the music industry on that one. I'm just not willing to splash out a lot of cash until I'm sure I'll still be able to read my lovely books!

That would be me.

Sub-Level28

Posted Thu Feb 25th, 2010 7:35pm Post subject: That book thing

Until all the books can be gotten on any e-reader anywhere (ie not restricted in any way) I'm not getting one.
And considering books aren't taxed here it's no difference to me as I can order them from anywhere. And I can always store them in my mother's converted barn if they get to numerous.

I wish I was a shapeshifter.
Sub-Level 28, My blog

Art is any created work that provokes strong emotions in you, personally. And trying to impose your feelings on someone else is as pointless and time-consuming as trying to impregnate a dishwasher.

Tyana

Posted Fri Mar 19th, 2010 12:58pm Post subject: That book thing

All interested in the e-reader thing - you can read a lots of thematic threads at mobileread forum - http://www.mobileread.com
There is also a thread with e-reader vs paper book question - very interesting opinions of users if different e-readers.

Tyana

Posted Fri Mar 19th, 2010 1:24pm Post subject: That book thing

If you are interested to see it before you buy (or before you make your opinion about e-readers) - you are kindly welcome to London Book Fair 2010 (19th April) - http://www.londonbookfair.co.uk/. There will be possibility to have a look, to press buttons, to ask any technical and non-technical questions etc.

Concerning all e-readers - these could be devided it two main groups - e-readers attached to their book store and e-readers with no such attachment.
Usually vendors from the first group (Amazon, Barns&Noble etc.) work on their own content format - which is only for their books, has specific format, and most of the content is paid.
Vendors from the second group work to make their e-readers to understand and to show as much formats as possible - no metter where you will buy (or download) your e-book.

Concerning DRM (digital rights management) - there always will be piracy. That is a fact. So it is your personal decision - to be switched to one book store, to download free e-books or download DRM protected and free e-books as well.
I prefer last possibility - I am ready to pay reasonable money for content and I want to be able to download to e-reader my texts/lectures/rare content from any source.

I have this one: http://www.greenreader.co.uk/collections/frontpage.....s-standard

jonsbjons

Posted Mon Mar 29th, 2010 2:43pm Post subject: That book thing

I guess that paper books will soon become quite strange and beautiful hobby. But still: why do some final choice? Each format is good for different situations: paper books - when we have time and opportunity to read, audio saves us a lot of time, e-books eliminate the need to carry heavy paper books. That's nice!

Nitro

Posted Wed Mar 31st, 2010 10:05pm Post subject: That book thing

I agree there shouldn't be any final choice.

Some books are worth value partly because they are made of paper ( antiques ).

A few industries have been nearly crushed out of existence because of digital. The big worry once upon a time was how paper was a waste, but few people see the tons of electronics piled in landfills.

Really? Wow.

jules_july

Posted Wed Mar 31st, 2010 10:28pm Post subject: That book thing

Hello!
It is essential to have a choice. I have got a daughter, she is 10, cannot tell you that she liked reading. Bought her a PocketBook 360 for Christmas, a very girly model...Guess what? She has downloaded a lot of books in 2 languages (English and Russian in her case) and now reads a lot! I was amazed...

fryophile

Posted Mon Jan 3rd, 2011 6:38am Post subject: That book thing

I have a Sony e-reader. The gadget itself is wonderful - the fact that I live in Australia is not. Because of geographical restrictions I cannot buy ebooks from the UK or the USA as I do not live there. I have just been trying to get 'Moab' for the Reader without success. I will have to order it in physical form from a local bookstore. Many ebooks are so much cheaper in the UK but I can't access any of them. I thought the reader would give me access to far more books at a cheaper price - what a huge letdown.

Nitro

Posted Tue Jan 4th, 2011 3:16am Post subject: That book thing

Hmmm...yes. I do think proprietary anything, with the exception of source code for the soft/firmware that runs one particular manaufacturers reader, is a bad idea. You know, they're essentially forcing you to read from a certain library. That's my metaphor anyway. I'd rather, ideally, *all* digital readers, whoever manufactured them, would allow the consumer to get books from whatever damn source they please.

I can totally appreciate the idea of keeping, you know, two hundred books in one reasonably small gadget because of the space saving. My problem with digital anything is when they go tits up and can't be saved. Now you've got a block of plastic and circuitry that has all those books and you can't access them till you get a new reader and, if you're lucky, get the broken one to download them to the new one. A convential library's biggest threat is usually fire and moths.

Re: advertising downloaded ( wrapped to ) a book. Well, you're right this is good for publishers and you're also right they need the money. Personally, I hope they are able to stay in the game because they bring us great authors. They can develop writing talent the more money they have, which results in us readers being able to discover great stories.

Sure, any writer can self-publish, but you can kind of easily see a lot of amateurish mistakes that can be 'honed' or 'filtered' by the traditional gauntlet of agents and editors. That said, for those of you who do use these, when you go to look for new books to download....gosh, how do I put this?...is there a section or way of knowing an author is self-published vs those are more professionally represented? Like, do you get a list of Pendam books let's say and then maybe a list of self-published authors. For ME, I'd want to know such distinct areas are made versus having to chug through a bunch of titles all crammed together with no rhyme or reason ( I mean at the point of downloading or purchasing ).

I'm very green to this, does it show? LOL

Also, I have had hard bound books that are just flat out antiques and valuable. No way in the world would I part with them even if I bought their digitized version. As intrigued as I am by the idea of things like the Kindle, I still want my own library at home ( though I confess i donate or throw paperbacks right in the trash ).

Anyone think the iPad will try to do it all and include digital books? Sometimes when these manufacturers start trying to deliver every available media form, they wind up with a crappy machine.

Really? Wow.

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Jan 4th, 2011 5:13am Post subject: That book thing

It's called iBook, Nitro
http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/ibooks.html

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman