Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun May 4th, 2008 11:10am Post subject: THAT guy! (or "You may know me from such movies as...&q
I thought I'd start a game of "that guy". Basically, a "that guy" is an actor who, while not extremely famous, pops up in so many films and TV episodes that you've seen that your brain automatically goes "Oh it's that guy.". Here are some photos of a few "that guys" and I wonder if you will recognise them and possibly be able to name them. If not, I will start leaving hints.

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun May 4th, 2008 11:43am Post subject: THAT guy! (or "You may know me from such movies as...&q
OK, Nr. 10 is David Morse, whom I've known even before he guest-starred on House.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Sun May 4th, 2008 1:47pm Post subject: THAT guy! (or "You may know me from such movies as...&q
6. Maury Chaykin as Nero Wolfe

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun May 4th, 2008 2:20pm Post subject: THAT guy! (or "You may know me from such movies as...&q
Great! WE have 2 correct answers s far.
Yes, David Morse, who you might recognise from (amongst other things) The Rock, The Long Kiss Goodnight and Twelve Monkeys.
And Maury Chaykin, often seen playing rather creepy mad dudes like the officer who kills himself in Dances WIth Wolves and the scary neighbour in A Life Less Ordinary. Chaykin is one of the many actors who prove that eventually some "that guys" get starring roles, as in the Nero Wolfe series of detective mysteries. Another such example is Patrick Troughton, the second Doctor Who.
Can you spot any more, Soupy and Gerti? And do you have any more to say about the ones you recognised?

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sun May 4th, 2008 2:33pm Post subject: THAT guy! (or "You may know me from such movies as...&q
2. Looks like Tony Todd aka Candyman.

3. Brian Thompson, baddie from Cobra, Fright Night 2, and Lionheart.

5. Julian Glover aka General Maximilian Veers from Empire Strikes Back.

15. *cheated* Vincent Schiavelli (I knew he appeared on Night Court and Who's the Boss)

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun May 4th, 2008 2:35pm Post subject: THAT guy! (or "You may know me from such movies as...&q
I have seen the last guy before, but I don't know where.

As to David Morse, I first noticed him as a young doctor in "St Elsewhere", a medical drama series, and I most vividly remember him as "Brutal" Howell from "The Green Mile".

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun May 4th, 2008 2:52pm Post subject: THAT guy! (or "You may know me from such movies as...&q
Fryphile scores well!

2. Tony Todd a.k.a Candyman. Also Worf's brother in Star Trek The Next Generation. You may also have seen him in The X-Files episode Sleepless, the Angel episode The Shroud of Rahmon, or in the films The Crow or The Rock.
3. Brian Thompson, who played one of the group of punks whose clothes were stolen by Arnie in the first Terminator movie. Later appeared in Buffy The Vampire Slayer in heavy make-up as various muscular and deep-voiced vampires or demons, but is most familiar as the alien hitman in many of the Conspiracy arc stories of The X-Files.
5. Julian Glover, who has been in practically EVERYTHING. TV credits include at least one (often more) episodes of the following: The Avengers, The Saint, Danger Man, Space 1999, Blake's Seven and Doctor Who (as King RIchard in the 1966 story The Crusade and as Scaroth of the Jagaroth in the 1979 masterpiece City of Death, written by Douglas Adams). His noticeable film roles include a sceptical Brigadier-ish role in the 1967 cult classic Quatermass and the Pit, an Imperial At-At commander in The Empire Strikes Back, the villainous Kristatos in the 1981 James Bond film For Your Eyes Only and the bad businessman in Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade.
15. Vincent Schiavelli, one of those lucky "that guys" who not only has a face that gets him in loads of things, but is also good friends with a director (Milos Forman) who tends to put him in most of his films, such as One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Amadeus (he's probbaly the first character you see in the film). Also seen in Ghost (1990) as the subway ghost who trains Patrick Swayze and in the Bond film Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) as the assassin Dr Kaufman. Also had notable TV cameos in The X-Files (Humbug), Buffy (as Jenny Callendar's fellow gypsy), Miami VIce, Macgyver and millions more, including the voice of Mr Bailey in Hey! Arnold. Sadly he is no longer with us.

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun May 4th, 2008 4:07pm Post subject: THAT guy! (or "You may know me from such movies as...&q
15. Vincent Schiavelli, one of those lucky "that guys" who not only has a face that gets him in loads of things, but is also good friends with a director (Milos Forman) who tends to put him in most of his films, such as One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Amadeus (he's probbaly the first character you see in the film). Also seen in Ghost (1990) as the subway ghost who trains Patrick Swayze and in the Bond film Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) as the assassin Dr Kaufman. Also had notable TV cameos in The X-Files (Humbug), Buffy (as Jenny Callendar's fellow gypsy), Miami VIce, Macgyver and millions more, including the voice of Mr Bailey in Hey! Arnold. Sadly he is no longer with us.

of course! *headdesk* *hangs head in shame*

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun May 4th, 2008 4:44pm Post subject: THAT guy! (or "You may know me from such movies as...&q
5. Julian Glover
9. is really bugging me

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun May 4th, 2008 5:21pm Post subject: THAT guy! (or "You may know me from such movies as...&q
9. is really bugging me

he he he he he If it helps, the photo shows him in his most noticeable role as a Gestapo officer.

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun May 4th, 2008 5:45pm Post subject: THAT guy! (or "You may know me from such movies as...&q
Whoo-Hoo!
"Where Eagles Dare"

9. Darren Nesbitt

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun May 4th, 2008 5:49pm Post subject: THAT guy! (or "You may know me from such movies as...&q
YES! Derren (not Darren) Nesbitt. He even has his own little cult folowing as I once found a fansite for him. As well as Where Eagles Dare he has appeared in episodes of very many British action series of the 1960s and 1970s, including an episode of The Prisoner where he was Number 2! He almost always played villains who were so smarmy and self-confident that as a viewer you SO wanted them to die because they'd never see the error of their ways.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed May 7th, 2008 5:57pm Post subject: THAT guy! (or "You may know me from such movies as...&q
A few more:

TobiasMonk

Posted Wed May 14th, 2008 1:47am Post subject: THAT guy! (or "You may know me from such movies as...&q
18. Geoffrey Lewis

Walt Whitman

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed May 14th, 2008 5:42am Post subject: THAT guy! (or "You may know me from such movies as...&q
Yup, Geoffrey Lewis. As well as appearing in at least one episode of most American crime, action or western shows he also appeared in many of Clint Eastwood's movies of the 1970s, making a particular impression as the mechanic Orville in the Philo Beddoe comedies. In fact, I have a soft spot for his comic roles. They're not hilarious, but they're quite endearing.