Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Saiph Foot

Posted Thu Apr 24th, 2008 11:08pm Post subject: The answer is 42 -- Only Stephen knows The Question.
Amazing!

I've just read somewhere on the Internet that Stephen Fry actually knows The Question to the answer of 42. Does anyone know of any articles where he reveals it or even hints at what it could be? This is absolutely driving me mad with wonder.

I've been a huge Douglas Adams fan since I was 13 and this piece of knowledge excites me. I request that Stephen write a book about The Question and unofficially add it to Douglas' trilogy in five parts. Better yet, he could write a book of his own and just slip The Question in there casually (floating quietly in the background).

If he's not interested in going to the mess of writing a novel, he should at least write it on a piece of paper and seal it up in some form of time release chamber with a little note explaining the situation, so that when Stephen himself passes, all knowledge of the question will not.

If not that, then I request a private message with the question enclosed (from Fry himself).

And of course, if that isn't possible... than I shall go on living my life in wonder, seeking out all knowledge of the Number 42 and of The Question itself.

Lots of love,
~Sylvia

Help

Posted Fri Apr 25th, 2008 9:36am Post subject: The answer is 42 -- Only Stephen knows The Question.
I am honnestly REALLY confused!

Soupy Twist

Posted Fri Apr 25th, 2008 10:23am Post subject: The answer is 42 -- Only Stephen knows The Question.
As it happens we had a thread on the mystery of 42 not too long ago:
http://stephenfry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2265

Catt_H

Posted Sat Sep 13th, 2008 10:05pm Post subject: The answer is 42 -- Only Stephen knows The Question.
I know the question
it is
what is 7x 6

xD

IQPixiewanabe

Posted Thu Sep 25th, 2008 12:13pm Post subject: The answer is 42 -- Only Stephen knows The Question.
Phah, it's easy. The question is: what do you get when you multiply seven by nine.

Amazing!

I've just read somewhere on the Internet that Stephen Fry actually knows The Question to the answer of 42. Does anyone know of any articles where he reveals it or even hints at what it could be? This is absolutely driving me mad with wonder.

I've been a huge Douglas Adams fan since I was 13 and this piece of knowledge excites me. I request that Stephen write a book about The Question and unofficially add it to Douglas' trilogy in five parts. Better yet, he could write a book of his own and just slip The Question in there casually (floating quietly in the background).

If he's not interested in going to the mess of writing a novel, he should at least write it on a piece of paper and seal it up in some form of time release chamber with a little note explaining the situation, so that when Stephen himself passes, all knowledge of the question will not.

If not that, then I request a private message with the question enclosed (from Fry himself).

And of course, if that isn't possible... than I shall go on living my life in wonder, seeking out all knowledge of the Number 42 and of The Question itself.

Lots of love,
~Sylvia

IQPixiewanabe

Posted Thu Sep 25th, 2008 12:28pm Post subject: The answer is 42 -- Only Stephen knows The Question.
I am honnestly REALLY confused!

1) Douglas Adams wrote a radio play called The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. This led to books, a TV series and a dreadful film.
2) One of the main themes of original trilogy (later to be 6 books) was an ancient quest by a massive computer "Deep Thought" to answer the ultimate question of Life the Universe and Everything.
3) After millions of years the computer found the answer: 42. The problem was really to figure out exactly what the question really is.
4) So has not to disappoint his makers, Deep Though promised to design a greater computer that would correctly pose the right question.
5) This computer was the earth itself, accidentally destroyed to make way for a hyper-space expressway, moments after a girl in Rickmansworth finally came up with the answer. The answer was lost forever.

How Stephen knows the answer I know not.
However, it seems, that 42.something is indeed a very important cosmological constant - though Adams did not know this at the time. (see Hubble constant)

For more info Google (hideous verb) "42".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7283155.stm

Occy

Posted Thu Sep 25th, 2008 2:41pm Post subject: The answer is 42 -- Only Stephen knows The Question.
Wasn't the question "what is the meaning of life?"

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Sep 25th, 2008 8:16pm Post subject: The answer is 42 -- Only Stephen knows The Question.

How Stephen knows the answer I know not.

Douglas Adams told him and swore him to secrecy. I remember Stephen Fry mentioning it in an interview once.

Assuming direct control...