Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

David Ross

Posted Thu Apr 30th, 2009 1:15pm Post subject: The Biggest Loser UK version
Following on from the "Skinny Stephen" thread I thought I would bring to your attention a piece of television that I'm sure will divide opinion and inspire some interesting debate. "The Biggest Loser" is a US phenomenon a kind of "Big Brother" meets "Fit Club". People with huge weight issues are put into a house with personal trainers with the specific goal to be the "Biggest (weight) Loser" and win a huge cash prize. Each week there is a public weigh in after which those with the smallest weight loss can be voted off.

Typically the English version lacks the gloss of the US original which adds to it's appeal?!? I think it's great telly in a very voyeuristic way, I don't feel great after watching it.

Anyway here's the link http://www.itv.com/Lifestyle/BiggestLoser/default.html

PamJH

Posted Thu Apr 30th, 2009 2:57pm Post subject: The Biggest Loser UK version
I saw about 10 minutes of that show. It left me feeling sick. I will not say the folks on the show are exactly being exploited (I'm quite sure they're paid). But the 10 minutes I saw were full of tears and agony and every other emotion you can name, everything that goes along with being overweight in a society that values the svelte. I couldn't watch any more. Was it faked? Who knows?

I know millions of people enjoy watching it or it wouldn't be on television. That's OK. People can do as they wish. I just vote by shutting off the TV.

I guess I just have a problem with reality TV. Maybe reality is too difficult to watch. And it's too early for me to philosophize without more coffee.:D