Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

amberzak

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 11:52pm Post subject: The Body Farm
Was anyone else really disturbed by the bit in episode 2 with the forensics training centre? The body in the bin... I do not envy Stephen Fry with having to expereince that.

fryfan20

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 12:37am Post subject: The Body Farm
I didn't find it disturbing, I wouldn't want to be there of course, that's a whole other thing then seeing it on TV.
on TV (or photo) I see rather a decomposed body then one that is just dead, because it's a lot easier to not see it as a human being.

and Stephen did chose to experience it, no one would have blamed him if he said can you leaf the bin closed please. I think he was really curious about it.

I am what I am

amberzak

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 12:47am Post subject: The Body Farm
Yeah. I think that I was desturbed by it because of things I have beentold about real situations. My step sister is training in forensics. She text me when she watched it to say that she had heard of something simular (bodies in binbags) but it was real - a real person killed people and buried them in black bags.

I think that the body in the bin was one of those things where you can't help but look. Do you know what I mean.

I can't believe that that was the first time Stephen had seen a dead body, at his age. I mean, granted I have never seen one in that much decay, but I am only 25 and I have seen 4 already.

fryfan20

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 12:54am Post subject: The Body Farm
Yeah. I think that I was desturbed by it because of things I have beentold about real situations. My step sister is training in forensics. She text me when she watched it to say that she had heard of something simular (bodies in binbags) but it was real - a real person killed people and buried them in black bags.

I think that the body in the bin was one of those things where you can't help but look. Do you know what I mean.

I can't believe that that was the first time Stephen had seen a dead body, at his age. I mean, granted I have never seen one in that much decay, but I am only 25 and I have seen 4 already.

I have been on a forensic education and there where some pictures shown of not so pretty corpses and I didn't really mind that much (it is of course a lot different when you stand next to that)

it also surprised my that he never have seen a dead body. some are that lucky

I am what I am

amberzak

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 1:04am Post subject: The Body Farm
Some of the pictures in one of my step sister's books were quite horrible too. I remember looking through one of the books with my step brother. It was interesting. IUntil we turned the page and it was a rather horrific picture of a dead baby. That really sent a shiver down the spine.

Some people have it in them to work in those environments. I, however, am happy with my pen and paper, writing fictional stories. Although, truth be told, most of my stories are about death.

So are you interested in forensics? I am, but I wouldn't be able to do it.

fryfan20

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 1:19am Post subject: The Body Farm
yes i am interested in that, sadly I had to stop school and I don't know if I could work with that, nobody does know that until they have to do it.

dead baby's shock everybody, I think that is the most horrible thing.

so your a writer, I would love to be one but I'm not good enough

I am what I am

P2C2E

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 1:31am Post subject: The Body Farm
The section at the body farm reminded me of the passage in "Moab is My Washpot" when the decaying mole Stephen brought to school falls on his foot and explodes, and there is that remarkable passage about how awful life seems and how he just wants not to be. It's a passage that moves me, and Stephen's reaction on the America show touched me, too. Very honest and visceral.

gadgetgirl

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 10:00am Post subject: The Body Farm
I don't think I've ever seen a body in the flesh (excuse the pun), unless you count Mummys in a museum. I've actually avoided any situation when I would have to.

That would be me.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 10:16am Post subject: The Body Farm
I have seen 2 dead bodies in my life, the first when I was 9, which didn't worry me at all, it was the second time as an adult that deeply unsettled me , I was I must point out 8 months pregnant at the time, was a strange feeling standing next to a lifeless body while carrying a new life inside you.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 3:03pm Post subject: The Body Farm

I couldn't believe it either. I'm 24 and I've seen one at a funeral, though that's not a good or nice thing, upsetting actually. :'(

dead baby's shock everybody, I think that is the most horrible thing.

It is. Did you see Ghosthunting with Paul O'Grady? I don't normally watch that show but I watched that one because they went down these crypts in Italy (or it may have been Sicily I forget) and it was just chock-a-block full of bodies all propped up and uncovered for all to see. There was one of a little girl who died in the 1920s it was very sad seeing that.

I don't think I've ever seen a body in the flesh (excuse the pun), unless you count Mummys in a museum. I've actually avoided any situation when I would have to.

I've seen mummies too. They've got them in Manchester Museum though the first time I went they were covered up which annoyed my friend. Second time I went they were uncovered and you could see each individual limb all wrapped up and their arms laying across the front of their bodies. There was a sign as well asking for people's opinions on whether the bodies should be covered or not or even put on display at all.

The section at the body farm reminded me of the passage in "Moab is My Washpot" when the decaying mole Stephen brought to school falls on his foot and explodes, and there is that remarkable passage about how awful life seems and how he just wants not to be. It's a passage that moves me, and Stephen's reaction on the America show touched me, too. Very honest and visceral.

That passage from Moab will always stay with me. It's moving how something like that made such an impact on him at the time and remains in his mind. It make me sad when I really start thinking about it as everything eventually withers away, dies and decays. But on a grander scale there will come a time when all traces of humanity will be gone from this planet. We will be gone and everything we've built and created will be gone too. Nature will take it's course and one day the planet will be gone too.

Assuming direct control...

jill

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 12:26am Post subject: The Body Farm
i was really quite disturbed by the body farm - the fact that they showed the viewer, and that it certainly wasnt anything i was expecting to see on a sunday night. but i was totally engrossed. im really intrigued by it all. especially when they pulled back one bit of plastic and there was a really small foot. my heart jumped into my throat at the thought of it being a child under there.

harbour

Posted Sat Nov 8th, 2008 4:15pm Post subject: The Body Farm
I personally found the body farm fascinating (in a morbid way, of course). I love that you didn't expect him to go there and that they actually showed some of the decomposed bodies. Extremely interesting. I can only imagine what the smell must have been like when the woman lifted the bin lid. Stephen described it rather accurately, I'm sure.