Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

fryfan20

Posted Sun Nov 8th, 2009 5:16pm Post subject: the catholic church debate

I saw on youtube Stephen Fry debate against the motion that the catholic church is a force for good in this world, he didn't do this alone but his arguments where brilliant cause there where simple truths where the other party just couldn't get out of.
of course Stephen didn't have to do much for me because I was already on his side and tbh I would have felt very unconformable if he was to argue for the other side.

love to hear what others thought of this

I am what I am

ladyfromhamburg

Posted Sun Nov 8th, 2009 7:05pm Post subject: the catholic church debate

I left a comment on the You tube thread, fryfan 20. Only noticed a bit later, that you started an own thread.

Radon

Posted Sun Nov 8th, 2009 9:46pm Post subject: the catholic church debate

Wow, what a thrashing Stephen and Christopher gave the speakers for the motion. The Archbishop was useless, bumbling and fumbling he was completely out of his depth. Stephen however was glowing, even surpassing the, as usual, sharp and glittering Christopher Hitchens.

He really did well to hammer home the points as Ann tried to wriggle out of them by saying she'd heard them all before.

gjhsu

Posted Mon Nov 9th, 2009 2:38am Post subject: the catholic church debate

Incidentally, if anyone wants an MP3 version of this to listen whilst working out at the gym, walking the five miles from Stephen's house into town, or just for late night listening, I have stitched together all of the parts of the debate.

Let me know if you want it. Be warned, it's a biggun' at 66MB.

Why have I done this? I'm a glutton for punishment, I suppose. I have the 2006 Hay Festival Blasphemy debate between Stephen and Hitchens as well that I pull out and listen to every here and again.

inckognito

Inactive

Posted Mon Nov 9th, 2009 7:53pm Post subject: the catholic church debate

gjhsu said:

Incidentally, if anyone wants an MP3 version of this to listen whilst working out at the gym, walking the five miles from Stephen's house into town

Awwwww! I would really love to have both of your files with debates!

Could you please, upload them somewhere?

Thanks!

Mr Mittens

Posted Fri Nov 13th, 2009 1:27am Post subject: the catholic church debate

Applause aplenty for Mr. Fry! A sound thrashing was administered to the catholic church. As a former catholic of 35 years myself, I can't agree more with the motion against; that the catholic church is a force for good. Stephen was as erudite, sparkling and passionate as ever.

Here's to you Mr. Fry!

Don't be ridiculous Darling!

jk

Posted Sun Nov 15th, 2009 8:34pm Post subject: the catholic church debate

To all,

While I take a certain (very likely guilty) pleasure in listening to Mr. Fry speak, and can usually count upon him to raise the level of discussion to a point where both the content heard and the act of listening can have equal merit, however in the case of the ‘Intelligence2 Debate: Resolved the Catholic Church is a force for good in the world,’ I’m afraid the results were a let down. While Stephen was as usual articulate and passionate and certainly right in terms of the focus of his statements, the debate itself, its topic, and conduct were frankly easily a foregone conclusion.

One might well have asked, ‘Is humanity a force for good, or the US, or Russia, or perhaps any number of state lotteries.’ It would be equally impossible for anyone on the affirmative side of the debate to achieve a convincing win; even if Oscar Wilde and Churchill were elevated from the grave to support the motion the result would be the same.

Had the debate be on a specific aspect of Catholic Doctrine, the churches attitude toward reproduction, STDs, women priests and bishops or some such other relevant aspect of Catholic policy, then the formidable Mr. Fry might well have been appropriately employed to debate a topic of merit where the opposition would not have to defend the entire two thousand year history of the Church since Saul of Tarsus, but a real, tangible aspect of church behaviour and policy. As it was, the result was shooting fish in a barrel, rather impossible for the fish to defend themselves and not terribly exciting for the shooters or the spectators.

Perhaps the BBC will allow Stephen another go, this time dragging Tim Sebastian back from Doha to run a proper debate with a resolution that both sides can fight about with equal zeal.

Kind regards,

metalrockchick kinda says it all really!

Posted Tue Dec 1st, 2009 2:06pm Post subject: the catholic church debate

I was at the debate that evening and thoroughly enjoyed the discussion although some of the questioners left something to be desired. One Man actually started reading some kind of manifesto from a sheet of paper whilst another very angry man started shouting about how badly the Gay community is often treated by the Catholic Church. Thought he let the side down a bit although he had a point, just an unhelpful way of making it. I also noticed a number of people walking out half way through Christopher Hitchens' speach (wonder whose side they were on). I have to admit to being slightly giddy at the thought of seeing Mr Fry and Hitchens in person (first time for both) and being ridiculously excited by the whole thing but as biased as I may be they were both as brilliant as I expected and Stephen's passionate cry of 'What are you for!' to his startled opposition was awesome in its ferocity and was obviously heartfelt. Keep up the good fight for reason and sense Mr Fry, we need all the help we can get!

rray

Posted Thu Jan 28th, 2010 12:37pm Post subject: the catholic church debate

Really exciting to watch. It got me thinking though - just how many predominantly Catholic countries would this debate be even allowed? As an Irish Catholic, I want to know when are we going to properly and seriously debate this topic? We are a mentally, physically and sexually abused Nation. Fry should come over here - in the name of Oscar Wilde at the very least - and get the ball rolling!

jon

Posted Thu Jan 28th, 2010 9:03pm Post subject: the catholic church debate

I watched it on BBC World . Mr Fry gave a lovely and strong
speech .

WendiKaye

Posted Tue Feb 9th, 2010 2:14am Post subject: the catholic church debate

OOH! Yes please! I would love to hear the entire debate, the blasphmey one too. how would I obtain it from you?

gjhsu said:
Incidentally, if anyone wants an MP3 version of this to listen whilst working out at the gym, walking the five miles from Stephen's house into town, or just for late night listening, I have stitched together all of the parts of the debate.

Let me know if you want it. Be warned, it's a biggun' at 66MB.

Why have I done this? I'm a glutton for punishment, I suppose. I have the 2006 Hay Festival Blasphemy debate between Stephen and Hitchens as well that I pull out and listen to every here and again.

Live, love, laugh and be happy. Quote from the only song I know with my name in the title.
(Wendi red, red robin comes bob, bob, bobbin\' along) Do I hear a collective groan?

WendiKaye

Posted Tue Feb 9th, 2010 2:20am Post subject: the catholic church debate

I really enjoyed the small part of the dbate I got to see, thanks to a kind twitterer posting the link, as usual Mr Fry was intelligent, eleoquent and spoke with great passion and knowledge.
You just gotta love that guy.
Well, I do.
Wendi.

Live, love, laugh and be happy. Quote from the only song I know with my name in the title.
(Wendi red, red robin comes bob, bob, bobbin\' along) Do I hear a collective groan?

AC

Posted Mon Feb 22nd, 2010 4:53am Post subject: the catholic church debate

I grew up Catholic, and while I no longer really consider myself Catholic, I do think it's important to realize that not everything the Church has ever done was bad. Same thing with any other religious institution--each has done both good and bad things in the world. However, I understand that Stephen was presenting a particular side of the debate and obviously was going to emphasize the negative. And he did it extremely well, and quite frankly, he hit on a lot of the things about the Church that upset me enough to shy away from it in recent years. And because he's Stephen Fry, he did this without becoming whiny or vicious against individual believers. Well done!

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde

Atomic Cow

Posted Tue May 4th, 2010 11:04pm Post subject: the catholic church debate

I thought the speech typical of Stephens appealing compassion.
Although I was initially put off a bit as I thought it was fairly well known now that Galileo was not tortured and was even held as a bit of a celebrity in his day and kept in fairly opulent acomodations. I suppose it is no comfort for a bird to be kept in a gilded cage. I can't recall but there was another minor indescretion of the same historical order midway. But in my humble opinion he caught some traction with his indignation at the audacity of being called a pervert when priests denied a sexual outlet are known to resort to the most vulnerable of victims.

AndrooCirce

Posted Mon May 17th, 2010 8:49pm Post subject: the catholic church debate

I do not know if Stephen reads this forum but as my first post I just wanted Stephen to know that it was a spiritual pleasure to watch Stephen at the Intelligence Squared debate. What a Spiritual joy to see someone talk such truths with intelligence and passion.Thank you Stephen for making me so happy.