Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Theahatthe

Posted Thu Mar 25th, 2010 5:21pm Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

This may have been done before (and if so, please delete this and point me in the direction of the old thread!) but I thought it might be rather jolly to share our favourite recipes - this can be for mouthwatering meals, sumptuous snacks, comestible confectionery and of course, beautiful beverages.

I'll start with a rather old (but nonetheless very satisfying) recipe - this being for biscuits. My favourite flavour creates a bit of an ensemble, but as yet I have never had any complaints.

You will need:

Very finely chopped/ground almonds. (Ideally they will not be detected in the texture, but rather in the flavour. I tend to grind them almost to a powder.)
Mixed spice.
Raisins.
Dark chocolate.
Two large spoonfuls of honey.
Three hefty knobs (behave yourself!) of butter (for those of you who don't measure in knobs, about 150g)
Four firm shakings of flour. (300g)
Two firm shakings of sugar. (150g)

Sift the flour and mix the almonds and mixed spices in with it.

Melt the butter, honey, and sugar together in a saucepan until it becomes an artery-filling yellow slop. Allow to cool for a minute, then mix into the flour and spice mixture.

You should achieve a fairly stiff, but pliable paste. If it is a bit sloppy, add more flour. If it is bit floury, add more slop.

Add broken dark chocolate and raisins (plenty of which) and mix thoroughly so that they occur evenly throughout the mixture.

Eat some mixture and make a friend eat some too. Add more things according to taste.

Eat more mixture.

Separate the mixture into little balls and place on a greased baking tray. With this recipe the biscuits do not deflate, so you can put them as close together as you wish. (If you want flat biscuits, flatten them now! I personally prefer little lumps of biscuit, rather like rock cakes.)

Put the tray in the oven for about twenty minutes at Gas Mark 6. Keep checking on them, though, as every oven is different. Take them out of the oven when they are golden-brown all over, and pale-brown at the edges. They may still be soft at this point, but they will harden as they cool.

Eat a few warm. They're good. They're also hotter than the rays of the sun and will kill your tastebuds, but it is deliciously worth it.

Put on a big plate and wake everyone in your house to eat some.

michael

Posted Thu Mar 25th, 2010 5:41pm Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

there was a thread floating around called "anatole's cookbook"... but it was before the website change, and it's been really hard to search for old threads ever since

so.... carry on!!! and i'll be thinking of some to post...

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

Theahatthe

Posted Thu Mar 25th, 2010 7:09pm Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

My delightful flatmate gave me this recipe for lemon bars - and believe me when I say that they are truly delumptious and are partly responsible for my ever-expanding girth (aided and abetted by my preferring to sit and read books about life than jog around living it.) So make them, love them, EAT THEM.

Lemon Bars.

250g plain flour.
125g butter. (Preferably at room temperature.)
60g icing sugar.

Preheat oven to gas mark 4-5 and grease an 8x8" baking pan with butter.

For the base:

Mix together the flour, butter and icing sugar. This works very well with your fingers, but if you're going to be prissy about it, I suppose a spoon will suffice. This seems a rather gratuitous remark in today's safety-conscious world but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD clean your hands before you do this, however pleasant the particles of matter attached to your fingers may be.

After a bit of prodding and swirling, the mixture should clump together and taste rather wonderful. You'll probably want to eat a bit of the mixture. Entertain this desire.

Spread the rest of the mixture across a large, greased baking tray (glass is good, but metal works just as well.) Pop into the oven, and bake for about 10 minutes until the top is golden brown (and has a texture like sun, ho ho ho.)

Meanwhile, make the top layer.

Topping recipe:

Two eggy-weggs.
Two large spoonfuls of lemon juice.
227g of sugar.
Two large spoonfuls of flour
A pinch of baking powder.

Slop all of this together into a giant bowl and stir. Initially it will look slightly grim, but it is, I assure you, supposed to look that way.

Pour the mixture over the baked crust, and once again confine it to the oven. Bake for about twenty minutes, or for those of you who like to sit with your face pressed against the oven door, watching your food bake, until the top is crusty and lightly golden.

Remove from the oven, and cut into small chunks with a very sharp knife. Make sure you push all the way to the tray, otherwise your lovely crust will stick to the pan and leave you with a mutilated lemon bar, plus a terrible difficulty in washing up.

EAT and enjoy, and share if you don't want to become very very large.

(I haven't tried it yet, but it now occurs to me that should one be so inclined, lemon juice could be replaced with orange, lime, apple, strawberry, or any other kind of juice. Let me know how it turns out if you decide to experiment with flavours.)

Theahatthe

Posted Fri Mar 26th, 2010 9:17pm Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

This is a very easy (and insanely rich and delicious) recipe for chocolate truffles. The proportions here create quite a lot of truffles, so you will definitely need to share with friends unless you live at the top of a hill and can roll to work the next day.

200g softened cream cheese.
350g icing sugar.
500g chocolate. (Plain, white or milk depending on your preference.)
2 tsp flavouring. (I suggest vanilla essence, orange or lemon juice, or cherry liqueur - but leave the decision to your discretion.)

Melt the chocolate and try not to eat it all.

Fold in the cream cheese and icing sugar.

Add flavouring and stir.

Roll into balls. At this point you may want to roll them in sprinkles, more melted chocolate, cocoa powder, or dessicated coconut.

Put in the fridge to set for about three hours.

EAT.

It really is THAT simple.

michael

Posted Fri Mar 26th, 2010 10:24pm Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

PORK CHOPS

get some pork chops. boneless are very nice.

start up a propane or charcoal grill!!

into a couple tablespoons of olive oil, press 3-4 cloves of garlic, and add a spoonful of crushed fresh rosemary or sage.

rub dat all over de pork chops.

put some sea salt on dere and maybe some pepper.

put the pork on the grill. i don't know what temp really, cause it's just fire, but you know... hot.

maybe like 350 for 10 minutes or something.

(This is what i do w/meat on grill: if you poke it with your finger and it feels like your arm does when you DON'T flex your muscles, it's not cooked. if it feels like your arm does when you DO flex your arm muscles, it is cooked. if you don't have arm muscles then find someone who does and poke them to see what i mean. )

Theahatthe

Posted Fri Mar 26th, 2010 11:12pm Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

Argh meat!
No, in seriousness, although I am a herbivore it's useful to be able to cook stuff for my omnivorous friends. Good recipe, thank you!

One question - can you have pork rare, medium, well done and so forth? And if so, how can you tell whether it is done to the right specifications without cutting the meat?

Theahatthe

Posted Fri Mar 26th, 2010 11:38pm Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

This is a cheese, pepper and tomato plait - one of my favourite meals to cook for friends, and pretty easy. There's nothing tricky in the timing, and it goes well with many vegetables, though I usually serve it as part of a buffet ensemble, or with salad.

You will need:

One pepper. (I prefer yellow for flavour, but red is better in terms of colour. And green are unspeakably horrible, so don't use those.)
Two good handfuls of fresh spinach. (Frozen will do - if you must - but I would defrost and drain it before you use it, or it makes the pastry soggy.)
A spoonful of olive oil.
One finely chopped onion.
One crushed garlic clove.
A good handful of mushrooms, sliced
Three fresh plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
115g of your favourite cheese. (Cheddar is really good in this.)
One beaten egg.
225g puff pasty. (I make mine from scratch, but if you don't know how, you can get some pretty good pre-made stuff in the shops.)

Pre-heat your oven to Gas Mark 6.

Roast the pepper in the oven until the skin blisters, being careful to turn it so it doesn't burn. This should take around twenty minutes.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool for ten minutes. Remove the seeds (and skin, if you don't like it) and chop into pieces. Don't be too fussy about this, but around half an inch in length is the ideal.

Wash the spinach and wilt it in a bain marie.

Heat the oil in a frying pan, soften the onion, garlic and mushrooms. Some people like to caramelise it at this point - if you are one of those, just add sugar to the oil and cook until the onions are brown and the mushrooms are soft.

Remove from the heat and add the pepper, spinach, and tomatoes. Also add any seasoning at this point - I tend to add a pinch of salt to bring out the flavours.

Roll out the puff pastry into a rectangle, and place on a baking sheet. Dollop the filling into the centre of the pastry, and cut pieces of your favourite cheese to go on the top.

Cut out thin strips of pastry either side of the filling, and fold the sides of the pastry in. There should be thin gaps through which you can see the filling. Cover these with the extra strips of pastry in a mock-plait pattern.

Brush the pastry with the beaten egg, and bake for about twenty minutes (or until golden.)

Serve immediately.

Lauren

Posted Sat Mar 27th, 2010 1:08am Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

Theahatthe said:
This is a very easy (and insanely rich and delicious) recipe for chocolate truffles. The proportions here create quite a lot of truffles, so you will definitely need to share with friends unless you live at the top of a hill and can roll to work the next day.

200g softened cream cheese.
350g icing sugar.
500g chocolate. (Plain, white or milk depending on your preference.)
2 tsp flavouring. (I suggest vanilla essence, orange or lemon juice, or cherry liqueur - but leave the decision to your discretion.)

Melt the chocolate and try not to eat it all.

Fold in the cream cheese and icing sugar.

Add flavouring and stir.

Roll into balls. At this point you may want to roll them in sprinkles, more melted chocolate, cocoa powder, or dessicated coconut.

Put in the fridge to set for about three hours.

EAT.

It really is THAT simple.

YUM. Just made them and put them in the fridge a few minutes ago. Can't wait to pig out after supper.

Follow me on Twitter! @Lauren1991

Theahatthe

Posted Sat Mar 27th, 2010 1:27am Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

Lauren said:
YUM. Just made them and put them in the fridge a few minutes ago. Can't wait to pig out after supper.

You made them from my recipe??? How exciting!
Let me know how they turn out...better, shove some down the modem and FEED ME SEYMOUR FEED ME ALL NIGHT LONG!

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Mar 27th, 2010 12:22pm Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

michael said:
there was a thread floating around called "anatole's cookbook"... but it was before the website change, and it's been really hard to search for old threads ever since

so.... carry on!!! and i'll be thinking of some to post...

It's still there, not floating, but sticky
http://www.stephenfry.com/forum/topic/from-monsieur-anatoles-cookbook

Lauren

Posted Sat Mar 27th, 2010 10:13pm Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

Yup my friends and I were having our annual "only-chocolate lunch" (OCL) today and that recipie seemed perfect. They were a great hit. I added orange flavouring to a few of them and they were crazy good.

Follow me on Twitter! @Lauren1991

Theahatthe

Posted Sat Mar 27th, 2010 10:55pm Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

Lauren said:
Yup my friends and I were having our annual "only-chocolate lunch" (OCL) today and that recipie seemed perfect. They were a great hit. I added orange flavouring to a few of them and they were crazy good.

OCL sounds amazing! I'm glad the truffles turned out well. They're so easy, aren't they? I couldn't believe when I first made them that truffles could take about ten minutes to make.

Theahatthe

Posted Sun Mar 28th, 2010 3:06pm Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

Here's a lovely cocktail recipe for your delectation.

Lots of cocktails are given names like Screaming Orgasm - now, while this is very good to drink, I would call this more of a Pre-Orgasmic Quiver, but perhaps I don't appreciate the beverage as it is due.

You will need:
A shot of Baileys.
A shot of chocolate liqueur.
A shot of amaretto.
A shot of cream.

Transfer the shots into a cocktail shaker.

Shake it, shake, shake it, shake it, shake, shake it, shake it like a polaroid picture...he-e-ey ya, he-ey ya...

Ahem.

Decant into a martini glass and grate chocolate over it.

DRINK and get fat.

michael

Posted Mon Mar 29th, 2010 6:34pm Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

i want to answer you, theahatthe, but the system isn't letting me post a reply! maybe there was a forbidden word in it

michael

Posted Mon Mar 29th, 2010 6:37pm Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

OH okay here goes...

i was vegetarian from age 14-28 so i know what you mean! and yeah, you can serve pink in the middle porkchops, i'd definitely look up the proper temp, etc so as not to give anyone anything but due to my own 14 years of veggieness, my own meat cooking skills aren't gifted enough to guess med vs med well without cutting into it!

i did tofu on a grill too, if this lets me keep posting, i will come back and approx a recipe for you