Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Theahatthe

Posted Mon Mar 29th, 2010 8:19pm Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

Argh, it stole my post.

Basically, I used to eat meat, but didn't really know why. I didn't think it tasted amazing and it was a load of lives being stomped out for me to chew discontentedly on a slab of protein I wasn't even particularly enjoying. So I stopped. Now I am on a mission to prove that food can taste amazing without meat in it!!! Especially to my parents, who think I'm going to keel over and die from malnutrition!!!

My recipe for today (as I'm currently cooking it) is bread-and-butter pudding. Absurdly easy.

You will need:

Two large eggs.
300ml semi-skimmed milk.
Six to eight slices of stale bread.
Raisins/sultanas/mixed fruit. (Some people use chocolate chips which is quite nice.)
Enough butter to spread on your bread.
Four large spoonfuls of sugar/honey.

Spread the slices of bread with butter, and cut into large pieces. The cutting can be fairly rough - don't be an artist about it!

Arrange a layer of bread in a large casserole/baking dish so that the bottom is completely covered, and sprinkle with raisins.

Repeat this step until you've run out of bread.

Whisk the eggs, and spoon the sugar in. Pour the milk over the eggs, and whisk again until you have a frothy yellow custard.

Pour the custard over the bread, then squash the bread down until all of it is coated in custard.

Pop in the oven at Gas Mark 4 for about thirty minutes, or until golden brown.

EAT!

michael

Posted Mon Mar 29th, 2010 8:55pm Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

i think something's wrong with the quote & reply button... if i don't quote, i can post

anyways, i totally understand what you mean, and agree with your goals! at some point my high metabolism or something caught up with me, ... but everyone's different. i STILL have exhausted days where i eat spoonfuls of blackstrap molasses and drink muscle building protein drinks between meals, so it probably wasn't because i was vegetarian, but for some personal metabolic wierdness

i can't wait to make that bread and butter pudding, it sounds so easy!

use the firmest tofu you can get, the kind i used was called "nigari" (i can't get it where i live now, poo)

drain tofu, put between layers of paper towels to dry it out a little

mix up a marinade: a couple tablespoons olive or veg oil, a splash of sesame oil, some molasses or brown sugar, lots of cumin, powdered red chili, black pepper & cayenne pepper accdg to how spicy you like, (or garam masala is good too, has some of those same things) also chopped garlic or shallots are good, maybe a tiny bit of vinegar or lemon, and a little water so there's enough liquid to cover the tofu

then you put it in a container w/the tofu, let it sit (preferably for a whole day, it's hard to get tofu to take in the marinade sometimes) then you can either bake it in a pan in the oven, or put it on a grill. make sure it's oily enough to not stick, if that makes sense... in the oven, i like to stick bits of green and red bell pepper in between the pieces of tofu.

you could make any kind of marinade, but that one was close to bbq meats here where i live

i guess my recipes are all in paragraph form, lol

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

Theahatthe

Posted Mon Mar 29th, 2010 9:08pm Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

Michael, that sounds so amazing. I will be trying that very, very shortly.

TobiasMonk

Posted Mon Mar 29th, 2010 9:13pm Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

I love bread and butter pudding, have y'all tried it with Bourbon sauce?

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Theahatthe

Posted Mon Mar 29th, 2010 9:48pm Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

Bourbon sauce??? Recipe please!
I sometimes make a cinnamon sugar drizzle to go over the top, but yours sounds far more exciting. Do tell!

TobiasMonk

Posted Mon Mar 29th, 2010 10:52pm Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

Haha ok, I'll have to get it from my wife, watch this space

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

ad_astra

Posted Tue Mar 30th, 2010 11:10pm Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

Mmm, these recipes all sound so delicious. It's a great idea to have a recipe thread and I'll definitely try some of them soon.

Here's a little contribution from me, a quick recipe for lemon pepper bread. It's nice with a salad or makes a great side dish for a barbecue.

Lemon Pepper Bread

250 g flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon pepper (if you can't get lemon pepper you can also use black pepper (coarsely ground) and ground lemon peel)
Chives (chopped, 1 tbs)
50g butter (in small flocks)
100 g ground cheese (cheddar or similar)
1 tsp vinegar
180 ml milk

Preheat oven (210°C). Oil a baking tray or spread with baking paper.

Put flour, baking powder, salt, lemon pepper and butter in a mixing bowl and combine until the texture is crumbly. Add cheese and chives.

Mix milk and vinegar (the milk will probably curdle, but don't be put off, that's alright), add the mixture to the other ingredients in the bowl and combine to a soft dough. Form a flat, round loaf (like a stottie cake) and use a knife to mark 8 pieces on the bread.

Put in oven for 20 to 25 minutes (you can test if it's done by giving it a thump. If it sounds hollow, it's done). It's best served warm, but still yummy when cold.

We are made for love, for generosity, sharing, and compassion, for transcendence. We are made to reach for the stars.
Desmond Tutu

"Go out and be kind."
Stephen Fry

@ad_astra30

Theahatthe

Posted Thu Apr 8th, 2010 8:02pm Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

Recently I have cooked virtually nothing! Am back with my parents for Easter and eating cardboard! It's terrible!

So:

COOKIE DOUGH.

You will need:

One package of pre-made cookie dough.

Open cookie dough.
Eat cookie dough.
Get full.
Die from worms.

Nitro

Posted Tue Sep 10th, 2013 2:58am Post subject: The Deliciousness Thread.

I know this is an old thread...but this is so weird it warrants me exercising my current sense of boredom.

I was hoping to resurrect an old thread a member here once created regarding 'bad poetry', a favorite subject of many with any sense of humour I guess. Anyway, clicking on ANY thread shown after doing a Search results in one being directed to THIS thread. Odd, odd...very odd.

Oh well. Just thought I'd mention it in case some ghost of christmas past is listening...

Really? Wow.