Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

monochromeprincess

Posted Sun Mar 1st, 2009 10:31pm Post subject: The Fluffette house
This is just a bit of fun I thought of. Let's have a virtual house! It's kind of like a story, kind of like a chatroom, kind of like a game. See what you think. (I know it's kind of been done before but hopefully this'll take off). The only rule I would say is probably important to keep is to only narrate your own actions, not those of other people. Let others react in their own way, so hopefully we can get a mixture of chatroom style conversations and also long narratives if no one's about.

Mp walks up the street and gets a piece of paper out of her pocket. It reads 'Fluffette house, Number 12, The Neverending Road, Networld'. Mp looks up and sees the sign reading 'The Neverending Road' and sees that she's getting close. She walks down a road that is clean and free of cars. A boy cycles past on his bike and smiles at Mp. 'Good day!' Mp says. 'Good day to you madam!' the boy shouts back as he cycles past.

Mp follows the numbers of the road. Across the way she sees a shop, that advertises in the window that it stocks every item that the mind can concieve of. It's sort of a magical Argos. Mp's face lights up and she thinks: that'll come in handy at some point, I'll remember that. Not too far away she sees Number 12 for the first time. It is a quaint house that seems to always have the sun shining on it:

Mp falls in love with it instantly and ruffles in her pockets for the keys. She unlocks the front door and is welcomed instantly by a little tabby cat. Mp kneels down and sees that the little tabby is called 'Scruffles'. 'Come on Scruffles!' Mp says. Mp takes a little wander around the house. It is decorated with a cross between modern and classical tastes: there are what seems like hundreds of rooms, with rooms entirely filled with bookcases to a pool room, to a hot tub and so on. Mp wanders into the living room and sits down on the sofa. She takes from her pocket a huge list of names and addresses, and from another pocket she takes a huge bunch of keys. For each name on the list she writes out an a letter, reading:

To my dear Fluffette friend,
I've just come into some money and have bought a lovely quaint house for all my friends to come and live in. If you can, pop by, and we can have some great times and talk about anything. It's situated at The Fluffette House, Number 12, The Neverending Road, Networld. Enclosed is a key. Hope to see you soon!
Much love,
mp xxxx

Mp seals each key within an envelope. After filling out hundreds of letters and fitting them into hundreds of envelopes with hundreds of keys, she bundles them all into her bag and takes the short walk to the post box. She takes the walk back with Scruffles, who has followed her there. 'Just waiting now, Scruffles,' Mp says to the tabby. Scruffles seems to nod, in her own feline way. When Mp gets home she goes to the kitchen to make herself a chocolate soya shake, and she slumps down on the sofa. Scruffles comes to cuddle up to her. Mp scratches her head and Scruffles purrs. 'I wonder if anyone will come?' Mp says.

@dreamingshadow

Bippy Bear

Posted Sun Mar 1st, 2009 11:03pm Post subject: The Fluffette house
BB is pottering around her kitchen when the post arrives. She's pleased to see it isn't bills and grabs a very ornate envelope with rather elegant handwriting on it.

She shakes it and something rattles inside. Oooh a present, she thinks, and it isn't my birthday or Yule or anything. How intriguing! Pushing the dogs off the battered old leather sofa next to the woodstove and pouring a cup of tea she settles down to read it.

An invitation; She scratches a dog's ear absent-mindedly as she tries to remember how long it is since she got an invitation anywhere. Oh this is far too good to miss. And a friend of nice Mr Fry's. How delightful.

She strides to the cupboard and gets out her cloak and hat. She looks thoughtfully at the broomstick and then rejects the idea. Time to move with the times, my gal, she thinks as she skewers her hat on with innumerable hatpins, some of which could be classified as offensive weapons in less tolerant countries.

Leaving a note for her long-suffering retired sea badger to look after the hounds for a few days, she strides out to the barn and whips the covers off her beloved motorbike. "Come on Tonto" she says, beaming at the ancient but fully working and very shiny machine. "time for a ride out".

And off she goes, with a cloud of smoke, a billowing cloak and a faint trail of glitter, BB is off on her travels to find the Fluffette House and visit her friend Mp.

monochromeprincess

Posted Sun Mar 1st, 2009 11:12pm Post subject: The Fluffette house
Meanwhile, Mp is putting up decorations in the living room, hopeful that some of her friends will come to visit. Scruffles is helping too, and she has a little party hat sat on her little tabby head. Mp has already gone to the shop and bought an 'instant Fluffette party set' and she begins to unpack it all - a seemingly endless buffet which she sets on paper plates and jugs full of punch which she sets next to plastic cups. Suddenly, there doorbell rings. Mp jumps up in excitement. 'Someone's here, Scruffles!' she says and the tabby seems as excited as her.

@dreamingshadow

Bippy Bear

Posted Sun Mar 1st, 2009 11:21pm Post subject: The Fluffette house
It was surprisingly easy to find the house. "Hmmm I smell magic" thought BB as she parked Tonto on his stand and ran up the imposing steps to the front door.

When Mp opened the door BB thrust a box of home-made biscuits into her hands and said "Blessings be upon this house. I got your message. Is it a party? Can I do anything and where is the kitchen?"

BB is an inveterate cooker ... and some people swear that she carries her own teapot around with her because you almost never see her without her two pint teamug in her hand.

They go through to the living room together and Scruffles gets another welter of scratching and fussing from BB. He doesn't seem too keen on the rather strong smell of dogs coming from BB's cloak but settles down when she takes it off.

"Well this is all rather nice, lovie. What a great idea. Who else is coming?"

monochromeprincess

Posted Sun Mar 1st, 2009 11:26pm Post subject: The Fluffette house
'So good to see you Bippy!' Mp says. Mp gives BB a hug. 'Please, help yourself,' she says, gesturing towards the food. She gets BB a paper party hat to put on. 'Thanks for the biscuits,' Mp says. 'Very thoughtful of you! Um, I'm hoping to have the whole Fluffette crew down here at some point, but we'll have to see.' Mp walks over to the stereo. 'I've got a magic stereo,' she says. 'Pick any song you want and we can put it on. It's called the YouTubeLinkMax.'

@dreamingshadow

monochromeprincess

Posted Sun Mar 1st, 2009 11:35pm Post subject: The Fluffette house
Mp yawned. 'You will have to excuse me BB,' Mp said, stretching, 'but it's been an awfully long day for me. What with my new meds I do get awfully tired. Make yourself completely at home, and say hi to anyone that comes in while I'm asleep. There are plenty of free rooms so make one your own. I'll see you around.' Mp smiled at BB and waved goodnight. Plodding up the stairs, Mp showed Scruffles to her little cat bed at the top of the stairs. 'That's your bed,' Mp said. Scruffles seemed to nod in her own feline way. 'Good night Scruffles!' Mp said. Scruffles meowed and stretched her long legs out. Mp made her way to her room, decorated in exquisite purple drapes and deep red cushions, and threw herself on her four poster bed. She took a last look at the moon through the window. 'Goodnight world,' she said.

@dreamingshadow

Bippy Bear

Posted Sun Mar 1st, 2009 11:39pm Post subject: The Fluffette house
Bippy decided to turn in as well as it had been a long day for her too. She waved a hand at the magic stereo that turned itself off "neat" she thought as she also trudged up the stairs.

Hmm - ah here we are, this must be my room with the cross-eyed bear on the door.

She went in and found it exactly to her liking - very, very old fashioned, a log fire burning in the fireplace and a rather dusty four-poster bed in the centre. There was an enormous writing desk in one corner.

Just one thing missing, thought Bippy - my hounds. Can't possibly sleep without at least one of them, not used to ............

but by the time she got to that point, she had fallen asleep

PamJH

Posted Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 2:09am Post subject: The Fluffette house
PamJH attends to the mundane task of sorting the day's mail: Donation request, telephone bill, newspaper, grocery flyer and...what's this?

It's an envelope, an unusual one, with something hard inside. She opens it and a key drops out. There's a letter, too. She picks up the key and reads the letter. It takes her -4 seconds to accept the invitation. She tells the children to keep up on their studies and her spouse to mind the sump pump and heads to the garage to inflate her hot-air balloon.

She fires the balloon and heads for the Fluffette house. It takes no time at all to arrive. She deflates the balloon and sticks it in her pocket. She takes a deep breath and approaches the house. She can hear music, a dreamy old-fashioned tune that makes her feel right at home.

She tries the key. It fits and turns by itself. The door opens to reveal an enormous staircase. She enters the house and gazes about, wide-eyed and excited beyond measure. She heads up the stairs and looks about her.

There are hundreds of rooms, but all the doors are shut. Which one is hers? How will she know? She begins a counting game in her head...