Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Excumbrian

Posted Thu Oct 9th, 2008 6:36am Post subject: The former Middlesex Hospital site (as seen on TV)
I am writing to ask for your support of a campaign to commemorate the former Middlesex Hospital.

I am writing to you, specifically, because the hospital was featured in Stephen Fry's series "HIV and me". The Middlesex was home to the UK's first dedicated ward for patients with HIV-related illnesses. Prior to that, it was at the forefront in the battle to treat what was, at first, a new and baffling disease. Indeed, I personally looked after some of Britain's very first patients with AIDS while I was there.

The Middlesex Hospital was a famous teaching hospital which had served the community since 1745. It had occupied the Mortimer Street site since 1755. The demolished hospital buildings were built by public subscription between 1928 and 1935, without ever closing the hospital.

In 2008 the buildings of the former Middlesex Hospital were demolished. In their place, the Candy & Candy property development company are building an apartment and commercial complex worth close to £1.5bn. They plan to re-brand this 20 acre area as "NoHo Square".

I would like to invite you all -- and Stephen in particular -- to sign a petition that I have started, asking Westminster City Council to name the site "Middlesex Hospital Square" in recognition of over two hundred years of service to the people of London and beyond -- and to prevent the imposition of the name "NoHo Square".

This petition may be viewed at
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/middlesex-hospital-square-petition.html

Many thanks in advance for your time and consideration,

David Marriott RN, RGN
Delta, BC
Canada