Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

gyesy

Posted Tue Feb 15th, 2011 8:08pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles

Just wanted to post to say i have just finished the fantastic "The Fry Chronicles"

I love reading autobiographies but this one was one of the most frank, well written and incredibly honest books i have ever read. I have always been a Stephen Fry fan and am completely fascinated by the man. (not in a creepy way LOL)

I too suffer from low self asteem but have managed to get a great job considering i left school with nothing, not one exam and was told i would end up working in Iceland! (nothing against Iceland or the people who work there!) So i could really relate to the book especially the bits where Stephen is still waiting for someone to come and tell him they got it wrong and he is crap! I still do this now!

Also extremely jealous that he managed to bag Kim, what a dish!

Anyway roll on the next book and long may Stephen grace our screens and our bookshelfs.

Sarahx

Kkkathykk

Posted Sat Jul 30th, 2011 5:44pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles

Yes - I also thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was entertaining and thought-provoking and I didn't want it to end.

Juju52

Posted Mon Aug 13th, 2012 4:44pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles

Just started reading it, and I'm hooked. It's everything both of you said, and laugh-out-loud funny as well.

-Juju
"The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth

purplejumper

Posted Thu Aug 16th, 2012 3:30pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles

I was washing up and it was dull so I bought the Fry Chronicles on CD. I have been thinking about it a while now. It's weird feeling an affinity for someone as far away from you as can possibly be in life and experience, but there you go. I enjoyed it very much.

You are right gyesy...Kim's a total fox!

PJ

forresta

Posted Sat Sep 8th, 2012 1:23pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles

Hi all!
I would really like to thank Mr. Fry for having written the Chronicles.
I bought it when, during a business flight, I read a positive article about it on the airline magazine. I’m Italian, so his face was barely familiar, but the author was so convinced about the fun your pages could delivery, that I couldn’t resist!
Finally I really enjoyed myself, I found myself laughing many times, and enjoying the way you approach to words. You will all agree with me on the fact that in these last years, it is hard to find people who really know the meaning of the words they are using in their speeches or their books, and his pages have been like a fresh draught of water in the summer of the South of Italy.
But most important to me has been the recollection of the way he started his particular relation with food. I found many coincidences with my own case, and many points helped me to see better through myself, and to admit to myself things that I would otherwise go on to ignore, just not to feel guilty tasting ‘the last brownie’ of the meal.
As when he saw yourself in the mirror and realized how ‘important’ his body had become, I just realized this summer that I can’t go on eating as I do when I saw a picture my husband shoot me on the beach. It was like looking at a picture of my mother taken in the period when we constantly quarreled, when I was in the deep of my teen age. Like I’ve been strike in the face two times, one for both thing I hate about that image.
I’m going to change the situation in a few weeks, it is not the first time, and I’m quite sure it will not be the last, I love food, Italian food helps (or not) me with a lot of delicious recipes, and my husband turned be a great chef, but this is the moment, since if I don’t do it now I’m afraid I will never be able to go back again.
Eating something with a nice taste is like when you’re tired and you’re allowed to sit, like when you’re thirsty and you get a fresh beer, like when you’re in love with someone and he loves you back. Only it implies less issues, and you enjoy it in a quicker way. I’m almost fascinated by the psychological mechanism that lies behind it, even because I don’t really stop to think about what I’m eating every time, I tend to be quite easy going, always postponing the issue to a future time.
After the first few weeks, it would not be so hard, but I guess (I quite feel ridiculous while hypotizing it, but that’s it) the most part has been done reading the book. Too many times, while he was talking about his errors, I recognized myself and my behaviors, the desire to forget everything by eating something or reading a novel. (At least with food I’m not bulimic as I am with literature, as I told you I can still go back.)
I just guess I have to commit myself with external world, and let it even hurt me, without thinking it is always better to keep aside and be cynic, just to keep the world and the powerful emotions aside. Actually this scares me more than the diet, but since I’ve time now, I’ll better go on along this way as long as I can.
I thank him for his help. I give a look to the blog now and then, and notwithstanding my husband and his brother passions towards technical devices, it sometimes gets too much technical to me, but I like it nonetheless.
I’ll try to put hands on his other works as soon as I can, this time not expecting other revelations, but simply for enjoyment (does this word exist in English?) sake.