Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

kissaled

Posted Tue Sep 21st, 2010 2:23am Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

Stephen Fry's autobiography "The Fry Chronicles" is a tear jerking roller coaster ride from sugar addiction to class A needs and of course a wide variety of his many achievements, though he doesn't seem to admit to most of these. I could talk to for an eternity, well a long while at least on his style of writhing and his many book's, directions, television appearances etc., however it would be merely rehashing everything we have heard before and that of what we love of this colourful personality. I want to talk to you or type to you as it were about his stance of celebrity. I feel bordering on hope that if I a mildly popular blogger could meet Stephen in the street that he would stop and talk on any range of subjects, just as much as he would speak to an audience in political debate, he is in every sense of the word approachable. I love his use of language, he is by his own admittance very middle-class, not that, that in itself is a bad thing, though he seems to think it is, but every word he utters is a mongrel mouthful truly, he pulls from the romance languages, to the Anglo-Saxon right down to the text phenomena of today. He isn't by any means a defender of proper English, but more a promoter of the ever changing stance of what language should be, he develops it rather than try and install some pompous pride of the old style of English. I wont ruin the fun of reading the book yourself because believe me it is laugh after laugh from chapter to chapter, but one thing that stands out for me is when he was teaching at Cundall and he had to exact "corporal punishment" on a boy named Philips, and in Stephen's mind a light strike, not dissimilar to a spank with a plimsoll on the buttock's, of course as I suspected he didn't do it again because he felt it vulgar, but for me I thought of that student, how funny the story's must have been to the other boy's in the dormitory of this new teacher, a soft touch of sort's, hitting you if you could call it that only once, something tells me though that boy sees that now as a claim to fame by association. Reading the book I am shocked and in awe of his stark honesty, telling a fellow student when he was younger that his parent's were dead and he was shuffled from aunt to aunt during holiday's, most people especially of fame, would never put that in print, never mind admit it publicly. He remarks on his weight, one time he catches himself in a mirror while wearing just underwear and he cried because of his size, not happy with it of course which I found quite moving, a celebrity, a gay celebrity no less, admitting they were disgusted with there bodies, as many of us people on the ground do on a regular basis, so do the famous. I will leave you with this, buy the book, I truly believe it will entertain you to no end, it is also accompanied with pictures, random as they are it is quite nice to see him with the likes of Oscar winner Emma Thompson, Hugh Laurie among others before the fame, he truly is real human among the stars of that time, we love him dearly and wait in anticipation for his next revelation of his life.

http://irishhomo.blogspot.com/

Thomas FItzgerald

pelota

Posted Sun Oct 31st, 2010 5:28pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

Well, this is not exactly a reply - a remark, maybe. First, I really enjoyed reading Fry Chronicles. Second, discussing something doesn't seem to me a very appealing thing to do. Let's call it an opinion. I think, the author, the most talented, well-known, a celebrity as he in fact is, seems tired, even exhausted. If "Moab" was written out of the obvious desire to understand himself and provoke the public to do the same, "the cronicles" are sometimes bits and pieces carefully chosen not to offend somebody. Maybe it was too early to write this part of a life memoire, it could have been better to tell it. The wit reveals itself in different ways.

helengreen

Posted Thu Nov 18th, 2010 8:48pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

I have never read anything by Stephen Fry before,and really enjoyed "The Fry Chronicles.i really could not put it down.i could hear Stephen's voic reading me the whole thing.
i am not usually into writng gushing,fan-mail,in fact,this is my first.I just thought"God!I am just like Stephen Fry!"this is strange as i'm a female,self-employed,single mother who hasn't had any furthr education and has no body issues,whatsoever.
Anyway,in each chapter,i found something that i totally identified with.i loved hearing the stories of your university days,this might be due to the fact that i would have dearly loved to have gone,any,would have done.Unfortunately i come from a background where it is almost frowned upon to want to do this sort of thing."you can get that idea right out of your head"was my mother's reply,when i broached the subject aged 14.
The theatre stories released memories of drama clubs i attended for a short while,until i was bothered by yet more frowns and "who does she think she is?"looks.
Anyway this book gave me a memorable insight into Stephen's life,so different from my own upbringing,yet making me think....cor i'd love him to be my mate.he'd be the most perfect dinner guest!huge thanksx

Spots

Posted Sat Nov 27th, 2010 2:10pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

I will have to read this again to take it all in. In fact, the audio books may be an easier way for me..I'm a very very slow reader. Swore I'd never read another book again after English A level.

MyraGrace

Posted Sun Dec 26th, 2010 9:39am Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

I've been given "The Fry Chronicles" for Christmas! Something good for Christmas instead of the usual rubbish. Hurrah! Can't wait to start reading it but will have to because I have another couple of chapters of my current book to finish reading. Patience...patience.

Puppywalker

TheDuchess24

Posted Mon Dec 27th, 2010 12:39am Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

I haven't read it yet. Truly, I am a RUBBISH Fry fan. :O

HOWEVER, I was given it for Xmas and have only just finished re-reading Moab so this should make for a good continuation in theme.

Perhaps I'll start it before bed tonight!

A 17 year old girl from Hampshire with an unhealthy obsession for many things, including the irritatingly unavailable Mr Fry. Will most certainly attempt to kidnap him in the future and force him to marry me.

I apologize in advance, Stephen. ;)

'I am all in a sea of wonders. I doubt; I fear; I think strange things, which I dare not confess to my own soul.' - Bram Stoker.

My blog can be found here!

Ebbie

Posted Fri Jan 7th, 2011 7:58am Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

I'm reading it right now and I have to say...

My mother is an amazing women, the best person I have ever met. She is dying of cancer right now, just a normal thing, dying, happens to us all, but understandably difficult and heart wrenching for me.

While she teaches me how to die with grace, love and bravery (as she taught me how to live) the Fry Chronicles is a friendly voice in my ear. A terrific read which has allowed me to laugh on the bus on the way to radiotherapy appointments which can't do more than make my mother more comfortable.

I wanted to share because I think that is one of my favorite things about life, that laugh that barks out in a dark time. If you can give a stranger that, what a wonderful thing.

Thank You Mr Fry.

scottca

Posted Sun Jan 16th, 2011 5:09pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

I got a Kindle for Christmas (along with the rest of the free world) and wanted to give it a fair trial by picking a book that I knew I would enjoy. Obviously I picked the latest Frying. It was the perfect choice and I'm sure the author, being such a tech geek, would approve of it being my first e-book (unless he gets reduced royalties, but you can't have it both ways). If you haven't read it yet do treat yourself.

LellyM

Posted Thu Feb 10th, 2011 3:43pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

Well, I have the book in hardback and we have just finished listening to the whole thing on audio book. Fabulous. It got us through a number of difficult car journeys to clear out hubby's mother's house after she died.

McCraft

Posted Mon Feb 14th, 2011 5:45pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

The Kindle version of The Fry Chronicles is not available for sale to Canadian readers. Much as I would like to read the book, I will have to wait until Amazon gets the Canadian rights. Who knows when that will be.

McCraft

skowse

Posted Tue Feb 15th, 2011 7:30pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

Being based in the US I have the same predicament. I can't get moab either and you really need e-version (for the dictionary) as Mr. Fry is always using one unheard of word when 7 normal ones works fine.

McCraft said:
The Kindle version of The Fry Chronicles is not available for sale to Canadian readers. Much as I would like to read the book, I will have to wait until Amazon gets the Canadian rights. Who knows when that will be.

KirstyN

Posted Sun Feb 27th, 2011 1:38pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

I thoroughly enjoyed The Fry Chronicles, particularly the end. Wonderful.

Daniel Mugan

Posted Sun Mar 13th, 2011 8:05pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

My favourite part of the book is when Stephen describes his childhood addiction to Sugar Puffs.

spiralthreads

Posted Mon Apr 4th, 2011 10:51pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

What can I say about this book that hasn't already been said? Not a lot, I LOVED it so much, I bought my best friend a copy for her birthday.

Sincere sympathies to Ebbie and LellyM and happy for you both that you found comfort in Mr Fry's writings.

Help the Rage group raise £100,000 for Shelter by pledging £2 - here or donate direct here

henry

Posted Wed Apr 6th, 2011 6:05pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

Stephen comes to The Hague in June to talk about his Cronicles. I would have loved to see it, but after one day all tickets were sold out already! I hope he decides to speak one more night, or better still: three more nights! Stephen, Holland loves you!!!