Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

henry

Posted Sat May 7th, 2011 9:36pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

Hurray! I got an extra ticket for The Hague after all! Stephen, here I come! Hope you enjoy Holland!

merrill

Posted Tue May 10th, 2011 3:38am Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

I've been a fan of Mr Fry for decades - won't tell you how many - and share his love and fascination for Apple when it comes to computers and electronic apps. I've just bought myself an iPad and wanted The Cronicles in my library first thing. I've just found out I can not get them in Belgium. What a disappointment. I'll just have to continue carrying the hard copy with me... Sigh... Anybody got an idea how I could solve this issue? I'd be ever so grateful.
This book travels everywhere with me since I bought it. It would be handy to have it on my iPad.

Mandala

Inactive

Posted Wed May 11th, 2011 4:34am Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

Which part of Belgium are you from? I liked Antwerp in the time I was there. Try the audio books. http://www.audible.com/search/ref=sr_asrch_lnk_1?s.....amp;sr=1-1

EB

Posted Tue Jun 7th, 2011 11:48pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

For some reason I don't feel motivated to write the same glowing praise for this book that so many have. I don't know why this is, because I enjoyed it.

Some parts of the book are very funny. Other parts are the sort of prose I love to read - the bit about lighting a pipe for example. Very occasionally the pace dragged a little for me in a show-bizzy way but this was very rare, particularly considering the nature of the book.

There were a couple of sentences I had to turn over in my mind to understand, and a few words that were new to me - which I love.

I think I'm finding it hard to formulate a response because I haven't finished digesting it fully. There was something about it that affected me quite profoundly. The growing realisation that Stephen Fry feels himself to lack something I have in abundance - happiness - made me cherish this in myself even more. At first. And then I thought about all my wasted years. with - in some ways - so little to show for them, and I wondered whether being so intrinsically happy hasn't prevented me from striving more. I'm growing to see my happiness as a biochemical accident, rather than proof of any achievement, and this makes it easier to see that achievement is still desirable. It's better to be pleased with something you've done rather than simple smiling blandly at the flowers and the fluffy clouds.

Which all seems a very odd response - at quite a tangent from what the author was saying. But readers are funny creatures...

Mandala

Inactive

Posted Wed Jun 8th, 2011 12:41am Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

Interesting thoughts. Perhaps some people write to help put a stake in the ground by which others can have a shared reference point? Sometimes they put two or three down themselves in the same narrative just to spice things up a bit or connect a few dots to exemplify the process. Sort of a friendly glint inviting commentary back. Perhaps they are lonely. If so it's the tangents, inner and evolving that make a work relevant. Everyone is simply a participating egalitarian and sometimes the gloves come off for some real psychological grappling gets unwound to both reflect meaning of circumstance to one another and sometimes subconsciously as a reactionary response, or sometimes just a natural progression more resonant with humanity as a whole than the writer might first suspect.

I've never listened to anything Fry before Moab, which I just started to give me something to listen to on walks home from gardening and workouts. As I expected nothing, whatever I got for my trouble turned out roses. I heard a few youtube interviews he did, which were enough of a sell to pick up the book. Finding modern thinkers that are balanced in the Renaissance definition is a noticeable event. Your caution not to throw people up on pedestals and blandly worship staring up at them in the clouds probably goes along with the need to gauge some solid definition of what heaven really is.

Kate_F

Posted Fri Jun 10th, 2011 9:47pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

Read and loved it indeed! One of the best books I've ever come across - so sincere, full of humour, irony and warmth at the same time. Fantastic! I laughed and shed a tear along with Stephen Fry, and when the story finished, I really wanted to hear/read more. I'd heard some critical remarks regarding this book, but decided to buy it nevertheless and never regreted it.
Dear Mr. Fry, your life is wonderful and unique, despite any sorrows, doubts, pain, guilt and other torments, which occur in one form or another in lives of many. You are great, and it's so pleasant to know that you are our contemporary. Thank you so much for sharing your innermost thoughts and feelings with us! I take my hat off to you and bow.

elenalaughs

Posted Sun Jun 19th, 2011 3:02pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

Just finished reading the book and I absolutely loved it!

Mr Fry, when's the next one coming up?

I believe in nothing, but this is my nothing

BangBang

Posted Wed Jun 22nd, 2011 11:36pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

Reading this at the moment and really loving it. It's actually made me feel a bit better re. my weight, my view of myself and just generaly cheered me up from being the self-pitying twat I usually am!

henry

Posted Tue Jun 28th, 2011 9:36am Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

Well, tomorrow I'm going to see Stephen in The Hague where he will give a lecture about the Chronicles. I can't wait!I wonder what it is like to see him in the flesh.

henry

Posted Thu Jun 30th, 2011 6:54pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

So, I went to The Hague yesterday and saw Stephen Fry in the theater there. He made a speech and an artist talk about his book The Fry Chronicles. It was superb! He is such an entertainer. The crowd was enormous, sold out completely - and the applause as he came up...! He clearly enjoyed it.

Later I stood in queue to buy a book and let him sign it. It took quite a while, but was worthwhile the effort. He was so friendly and although he must have heard my 'I very much enjoyed the show' line a hundred times that evening, he looked very intensively at me and said 'O really? I'm so glad you enjoyed it, we enjoyed it too. Thank you so much for coming'. I'm sure he repeated that line over and over again that night, but it was the effort he took to make it sound as genuine as possible that made me very grateful I'd come. As it was my first day out after my father's death, I treasure it even more.

I made a few little vids, but I hesitate to put them on you tube as I don't know if this would be allowed. I would love to share them though, as there is this hilarious anecdote of him visiting a Bulgarian hypnotherapist who tried to cure him from his fear of singing.

henry

Posted Fri Jul 1st, 2011 8:03am Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

Stephen Fry's visit to Holland was on Dutch TV yesterday: http://nieuwsuur.nl/video/252613-stephen-fry-over-stephen-fry.html
One of the things he talks about is that the behavior of fans has changed. They used to make a little chat with you, he says, while I signed the books But now they all have camera's, they come and stand behind the table and they all want a picture with their arms around me to put on Facebook.
BTW After the short Dutch introduction you expect Stephen to speak English, but actually he talks the first few lines in Dutch too! He is so funny and knows exactly how to please his audience.
There are lots of fragments where he speaks English and I'm sure you will enjoy listen to it.

ginj

Member *

Posted Sun Jul 3rd, 2011 3:41am Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

Hi Henry, thank you very much for sharing the story of your meeting with Stephen with us. He is always so remarkably kind to everyone. That is why I am such an ardent fan. I am so glad he made your first trip out so enjoyable. And thank you also for sharing the news clip of Stephen. I like him in his glasses.

Stormforce

Posted Fri Dec 9th, 2011 4:59pm Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

I am currently reading it and all I can say is that it has a warmth and sincerity which I believe would be difficult to find in the majority of humanity. Apart from that it is an exceptionally good read.

SusanX

Posted Thu Jan 26th, 2012 4:54am Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

I was half way through reading The Fry Chronicles when I discovered this website and I just had to post something. This is definitely one of the most enjoyable books I have ever read. It was a sentimental journey through the eighties, my childhood years when the world was much simpler - no IPods, Acrobat Readers, Sticky Threads, Tweets, when 'wireless' meant radio (I sound like one of those grumpy old women! :))... I also marvelled at the wonders of the BBC B computer. As a child my mother had taken me to see one of the very tirst computers which was a whole room full of equipment and now it could fit into my bedroom and I could play Donkey Kong and who knows what downloaded on that little cassette player. I could type things out... in different colours... and even have the words flashing on the screen!! It is wonderful now to be able to join fellow fans in a virtual community, especially as most of the year I live in a country where Stephen Fry is less well known (returning to my beloved Norfolk in the summer) and I want to share my enthusiasm about this wonderful person who has a special place in my heart. In the words of Morecambe and Wise - Stephen, you bring me sunshine, bring me laughter, bring me love...

Mark Bolton

Posted Sun Oct 21st, 2012 9:57am Post subject: The Fry Chronicles - Read it, Learn, Love it!

Some friends an I were having a discussion about Fry Chronicles and why it is that we love Steven's work (and Steven) so much. He isn't a very good actor - the best character he plays is himself in Kingdom. (Delighted to see Hermione Norris given the opportunity to do something interesting. She is HOT !) His work with Hugh Laurie in Jeeves is a sparkling spring of primal joy. Did we think that Steven's protracted discussions about his self doubt were a bit much ? No - since he is "himself" for a living then it would be vain and unprofessional to just assume his audience will adore him.

When I come home from my wanderings across the planet's surface among the shifting aeolian sands of the Australian outback and I am knackered and desperate for a slurp of red to wash the dust off my teeth, it is Steven I turn to. Why ?

The best we could come up with is "No matter what he does you can nestle in his arms trusting completely he will never do anything annoying."

Love your work Steven - here's Cheers !!