Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

MoonLightSpiral

Posted Wed May 27th, 2009 11:27pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
I told you before, the longboat is cancelled; I've even rescinded the shortboat. Just musing here, what happens if you write Geordie in a Germanic fashion? As an experiment, would any Deutsche volk here like to try reading and translating Geordie into German and back to English? It would probably be bizarre gibberish, but fun to try.

Tryin' to say Geordie isn't already bizarre gibberish?
But it would be a fun experiment, we'll need to get a German speaker and a Geordie speaker in the same room, and let the fun commence!!
Any volunteers....?

Help

Posted Wed May 27th, 2009 11:31pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
I'm game for a laugh

michael

Posted Wed May 27th, 2009 11:49pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
Was I the only one who thought this was about actual tongues and not Google Translate?

no. i clicked on it and then......oh. language. huh.

i ...guesss...i ...do...use it for that...?

(not that i'm icecream licking, french kissing, @#$ @#$*ing all day....it's just....i don't talk out loud much so that's probably become one of my tongue's lesser priorities.)

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

ladyfromhamburg

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 8:50am Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
Mhhh, Geordie/German experiment? ..... We could try (*fears there will be no real chance for poor German girl from Hamburg*)

Peachy Keenan

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 8:59am Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
Google Translate is weird. Sometimes it's right, sometimes the results are more incoherant.
I worry a lot about learning other languages. I'm really terrible at it. I wonder how I'm going to cope when I go to Europe. I will probably arm myself with a couple of phrase books.

Twittering @peachykeenan!

Maxx England

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 4:20pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
And is your hovercraft really full of eels? (copyright M Python)

Online translators, I've only just tried to use them, but I've found that one way to tell if your message's meaning is accurately translated is to take the foreign language phrase through a second translation back to the original language. Time consuming, but it avoids examples like the German to English I saw once describing the headroom of a caravan (and I apologise for however it translates into German), " 1metre 96 depends the victim".

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

JSKanga84

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 5:18pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
Google translate?! *shudder* It's the plague of mankind!!!!!!! My student's try to speak/write Spanish with Google translate, and it's always a disaster.

oh, do you teach Spanish!? *kidnaps you*
not really, that's a bit aggressive. X-D I am working to learn Spanish this summer (taking a course, perhaps two) and so far I really enjoy it. my textbook is wedged between my laptop and my lap right now in fact!
me llamo exo.
also j'ai un petit cadeau dans la tête où je garde quelques mots de la langue français. la boîte pourrait avoir un collier ou un anneau, un livre ou même un CD serait trop grande.
Hee. X-D I do indeed teach Spanish and it is quite fun-- and easy! For the most part. This summer, I'm about to teach Spanish and learn Portuguese, so that should be an adventure, since much of the vocab is the same, or very similar. Of course, that means I'll probably confuse my students by getting my languages mixed up.
BTW: Excellent grammar, so far!! I'm so happy that you avoided the mistake of saying "Me llamo es" *cringe*

Maxx England

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 5:28pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
Occasionally the roots of English do not diverge to far from their German of Latin/French ancestry. I have an old Honda generator, I loaned it and it's handbook to someone. The generator has returned, the book hasn't. This is a sadness, I rather enjoyed it's multilinguality; where else could I see the inscription, Manual de Explicacions?

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 5:30pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
I wonder how I'm going to cope when I go to Europe. I will probably arm myself with a couple of phrase books.

Actually, most continental Europeans speak English (we´re taught from the age of 6), so no need to worry!

Geordie/German experiment... hm, dare I participate?? Not sure. Some of my former work colleagues were from "up there" and listening to them speak made my head spin X-D

Maxx England

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 5:36pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
Geordie/German experiment... hm, dare I participate?? Not sure. Some of my former work colleagues were from "up there" and listening to them speak made my head spin X-D

Without actually being unkind, when you get a pair of "deep" Geordies, the rest of Britain struggles. Really. I once drove round a corner at work, Joe Sheikh, fluent in three Asian languages, capable of getting by in another and actually knowing enough Swahili to get food, drink and a bed for the night was stood with confusion all over his face. "I thought I spoke good English, but I can't understand a bloody word these two are saying".

He did speak good English, the two wagon drivers he was watching worked for a firm called Barnfather And Wilkes, from County Durham. I told him, "It's OK, none of us can understand the buggers either".

exoskeleton

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 5:39pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
Google translate?! *shudder* It's the plague of mankind!!!!!!! My student's try to speak/write Spanish with Google translate, and it's always a disaster.

not really, that's a bit aggressive. X-D I am working to learn Spanish this summer (taking a course, perhaps two) and so far I really enjoy it. my textbook is wedged between my laptop and my lap right now in fact!
me llamo exo.
also j'ai un petit cadeau dans la tête où je garde quelques mots de la langue français. la boîte pourrait avoir un collier ou un anneau, un livre ou même un CD serait trop grande.
Hee. X-D I do indeed teach Spanish and it is quite fun-- and easy! For the most part. This summer, I'm about to teach Spanish and learn Portuguese, so that should be an adventure, since much of the vocab is the same, or very similar. Of course, that means I'll probably confuse my students by getting my languages mixed up.
BTW: Excellent grammar, so far!! I'm so happy that you avoided the mistake of saying "Me llamo es" *cringe*

have fun learning Portuguese! I am always curious about how similar those languages are, because they are definitely distinct, but it's my understanding that they are very close compared to most other languages.
my two French to Spanish issues so far are trying to use French connecting words (like et and ou) in Spanish sentences, and also with the indefinite article, making the "u" sound the way it does in French. (which is probably not even accurate, so I'm speaking Spanish with a terrible French accent, my goodness!)

sockdolager.

Help

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 5:45pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues

Without actually being unkind, when you get a pair of "deep" Geordies, the rest of Britain struggles. Really. I once drove round a corner at work, Joe Sheikh, fluent in three Asian languages, capable of getting by in another and actually knowing enough Swahili to get food, drink and a bed for the night was stood with confusion all over his face. "I thought I spoke good English, but I can't understand a bloody word these two are saying".

He did speak good English, the two wagon drivers he was watching worked for a firm called Barnfather And Wilkes, from County Durham. I told him, "It's OK, none of us can understand the buggers either".

Hmm..I don't see how it's any different to having a pair of "deep" Brummies, Scousers, Glaswegians?

Maxx England

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 5:56pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
No such thing as deep Brummie, it's a watered down Black Country, which I will admit can fox those unused to that. Glasgow's OK, but I defy anyone not Trefusis to decipher Greenock. Scouse is reasonably intelligible, but it's not strictly an English accent, it bears strong overtones of North Welsh in the back of the throat sound found in wack etc.

JSKanga84

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 5:59pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues

me llamo exo.

have fun learning Portuguese! I am always curious about how similar those languages are, because they are definitely distinct, but it's my understanding that they are very close compared to most other languages.
my two French to Spanish issues so far are trying to use French connecting words (like et and ou) in Spanish sentences, and also with the indefinite article, making the "u" sound the way it does in French. (which is probably not even accurate, so I'm speaking Spanish with a terrible French accent, my goodness!)
My colleague is a linguist and her primary area of study is Portuguese, but the university had her teaching Spanish. She would sometimes come back to our office after class and ask me vocab or grammar questions about Spanish because she wasn't sure if she was teaching her students Portuguese by accident. X-D
Your French/Spanish connection reminds me of one student my colleague taught who was simultaneously learning Arabic, so she would sometimes use the "al" Arabic article in her Spanish conversation. Then, I had a student whose primary language was German, studying Spanish, so when he looked up words in the dictionary, sometimes he would look them up in German, and then translate from German to Spanish. Fun times...

michael

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 6:18pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
there's no cherokee on google translate.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name