Nitro

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 6:35pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
1metre 96 depends the victim".

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

I love it!

Really? Wow.

Maxx England

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 7:13pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
there's no cherokee on google translate.

Am I wrong in assuming the bottom line of the sign is a specifically Cherokee script? If it is, does it sound the same as Downing St, or does it have some other different sound and meaning?

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Maxx England

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 7:33pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
English - Cherokee, is this any good, I just found it:

http://searchenginez.com/translatec.html

michael

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 7:45pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues

Am I wrong in assuming the bottom line of the sign is a specifically Cherokee script? If it is, does it sound the same as Downing St, or does it have some other different sound and meaning?

you are not wrong cherokee has its own alphabet.

as far as i can tell, it's not "downing" written in that alphabet. But, some Downings had different cherokee names. here's one

(syllabary image taken from http://www.omniglot.com/writing/cherokee.htm i'm so glad i went there today, they have books! i want one!!)

and once i get a good book like those on the website, maybe i can tell you more, like which word is "street". but right now all i have is a cheap 100word phrase book with which i can piece together things like "eat dirt fish face" or "beaver doctor" or "chipmunk christmas" etc

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

michael

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 7:48pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
English - Cherokee, is this any good, I just found it:

http://searchenginez.com/translatec.html

i think it directs to word lists, still fun though!
one of them looks exactly like the words in my book!

there IS a translator online, i've used it before, but it doesn't recognize a lot. just common things, like the lists have.

the internet grows so fast. i swear i tried to look for cherokee glossaries online a couple years ago and only found half of what's there now.

michael

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 8:00pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
ooh but MAXX that list means i can put up images of the words in the alphabet like this

i've always thought if i got a tattoo i'd get a cherokee word, i think it'd be hilarious to get that one. which is hello.

people would say, "oh what a neat tattoo, what does it say?" and i'd say "hello!"

Maxx England

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 8:09pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
I should check a few times with several proficient readers before you commit to anything. You can't cancel it afterwards.

Sad story, it appears to be true, some eejit went to a tattoo parlour here, said to the Chinese man there that he wanted something "macho" in Chinese.

So Mr China tattoos him; a few weeks later, eejit is in a Chinese restaurant, the waiter's laughing. He explained that the tattoo translated into "this is a fat fool who will never do any good". Eejit goes back to the parlour, surprise, surprise, it's shut and no forwarding address.

michael

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 8:12pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
I should check a few times with several proficient readers before you commit to anything. You can't cancel it afterwards.

Sad story, it appears to be true, some eejit went to a tattoo parlour here, said to the Chinese man there that he wanted something "macho" in Chinese.

So Mr China tattoos him; a few weeks later, eejit is in a Chinese restaurant, the waiter's laughing. He explained that the tattoo translated into "this is a fat fool who will never do any good". Eejit goes back to the parlour, surprise, surprise, it's shut and no forwarding address.

heh!

don't worry, i can check with my grandma. or anyone at HQ. LOL.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Fri May 29th, 2009 3:40pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
Then, I had a student whose primary language was German, studying Spanish, so when he looked up words in the dictionary, sometimes he would look them up in German, and then translate from German to Spanish. Fun times...

But somehow, it must prove interesting to identify the different types of mother-tongue-related mistakes made by students of different nationalities. Or probably more trying than interesting?

joan

Posted Fri May 29th, 2009 4:10pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
Here is the indo-european language tree. Lots more info on this site too:-
http://www.danshort.com/ie/iecentum.htm

I wouldn't mind learning Spanish as I already know French, and remember a little Latin from school. By the way, we just don't know how Latin was pronounced, so we were taught standard classical Latin pronunciation, on the understanding it is allowed to be wrong, as no Ancient Romans were going to turn up in class to correct us. My own view is it would sound like Italian.

I know French, Italian and Spanish directly evolved from Latin - probably the other romance languages too.

I love the way our language has those two main strands - Latin and Germanic. We use the Latin (via Norman French) bits when we want to be posh, and the Germanic (Anglo Saxon) when we really mean what we are saying. Churchill's 'We will fight them on the beaches.....' speech was nearly all Anglo Saxon, except for 'surrender' in 'we will never surrender'.

Remember the Beatles song "I wanna hold your hand'. Well, the German loose translation was:
Komm gib mir deine Hand' which literally means:
Come give me thine hand.
This spells out our close contact with German, I think.

MoonLightSpiral

Posted Fri May 29th, 2009 6:22pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues

I wouldn't mind learning Spanish as I already know French, and remember a little Latin from school. By the way, we just don't know how Latin was pronounced, so we were taught standard classical Latin pronunciation, on the understanding it is allowed to be wrong, as no Ancient Romans were going to turn up in class to correct us. My own view is it would sound like Italian.

I know French, Italian and Spanish directly evolved from Latin - probably the other romance languages too.

I love the way our language has those two main strands - Latin and Germanic. We use the Latin (via Norman French) bits when we want to be posh, and the Germanic (Anglo Saxon) when we really mean what we are saying. Churchill's 'We will fight them on the beaches.....' speech was nearly all Anglo Saxon, except for 'surrender' in 'we will never surrender'.
I concur.
Also, the basics of Spanish are relatively easy to learn, just like French was.
I found learning languages incredibly easy, but that may be because I have this strange 'craving' to be constantly learning new things.
I don't know many languages, but there are a few i'm pretty good at, (Italian, French, Spanish, Japanese, Russian) and I know basics of a few others, I've never learnt Latin, always thought it would be fun though, but recently my spare time has been cut right down as i'm half way through my GCSE's haha. (Only 8 more left [-: )

joan

Posted Sat May 30th, 2009 3:09am Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
Do Latin when you get to university - it answers so many language questions, not to mention the fact the writings and deeds of the Ancient Romans are so interesting. You'll love it.

Nitro

Posted Sat May 30th, 2009 5:08am Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
When I first saw the thread title I took it at face value it would be a discussion on the tongues of angels and Heaven.

As a little child my very pentecostal grandmother came to vist me. We were alone together, she in a chair and me at her feet as she began explaining to me that speaking in tongues was way better than just normal old prayer. I felt like I'd better produce or grandma was going to be disappointed. I didn't believe a bit of it but I closed my eyes as if waiting on the Holy Spook. A few seconds later I jumped up and yelled "Pentally Googalee Della Kassi!!!"

She sent me to bed without supper The lesson I learned was,"Grandma don't take no mess!! and your ass was going to bed hungry for your sarcasm about holy stuff" )

Really? Wow.

michael

Posted Mon Jun 1st, 2009 4:13pm Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
When I first saw the thread title I took it at face value it would be a discussion on the tongues of angels and Heaven.

As a little child my very pentecostal grandmother came to vist me. We were alone together, she in a chair and me at her feet as she began explaining to me that speaking in tongues was way better than just normal old prayer. I felt like I'd better produce or grandma was going to be disappointed. I didn't believe a bit of it but I closed my eyes as if waiting on the Holy Spook. A few seconds later I jumped up and yelled "Pentally Googalee Della Kassi!!!"

She sent me to bed without supper The lesson I learned was,"Grandma don't take no mess!! and your ass was going to bed hungry for your sarcasm about holy stuff" )

ROTFLMAO!!!!

hahahahaha!!!

when i was in high school, i had a friend who was pentacostal of some sort (i don't really know much about all that...stuff...) anyways she invited me to church quite a few times. it was a way we could hang out and talk.

summer after graduation i went to a revival there. after it was over, people lolligagged in the sanctuary chatting. she asked where i was going to school, and i told her, and i asked "hey are you going to school this fall?" and she said "yeah i got into-" and while we were talking everyone who was lollygagging started speaking in tongues...she closed her eyes and started babbling...i just stood there and looked out the window (my usual response) then a few seconds later her eyes opened and she said "such and such university and i'm going into nursing.""oh that's wonderful!" i said.

joan

Posted Tue Jun 2nd, 2009 6:55am Post subject: The Gift Of Tongues
That's one thing about religion we all know, and never say - it is often downright embarrassing!