Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

trouser material

Posted Mon Mar 26th, 2007 7:14pm Post subject: The good times
Charming

Well......i like bashing a shiny head every now and then. Etc etc.............

X-D but also

Thats the reaction i was after. Target hit.

trouser material

Posted Mon Mar 26th, 2007 7:19pm Post subject: The good times
i was really low and depressed for about two years and I used to listen to Keane a lot because I felt that I could empathise with the lyrics, but I now see that it didn't help. Then for christmas 2005 I was given a Monkees album and now whenever I feel low, I can just listen to the Monkees and feel happy! Hense, I thank the Monkees for where I am emotionally today.
When feeling low its tempting to listen to introspective, depressing music. But in those times uplifting music is what is needed. Its good somebody gave you a Monkees cd, they clearly thought you needed it.

A song that REALLY works as a pick-me-up for me is 'Flowers on the Wall' by the Statler Bros. Even though the lyrics aren't happy, the song is excellent. You can find it on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack if interested.

boffinbabe12

Posted Mon Mar 26th, 2007 7:20pm Post subject: The good times
I did ask for the monkees CD.. but I didn't actually expect it because I only knew of two Monkees songs.... but now I am the Monkees genius of the world!

Aoibheann

Posted Mon Mar 26th, 2007 7:23pm Post subject: The good times
I bought my mam the box set as a prezzie. They are surprisingly good....

trouser material

Posted Mon Mar 26th, 2007 7:23pm Post subject: The good times
Good on you, 60s music is bangin'.

ratoutofhell

Posted Mon Mar 26th, 2007 11:16pm Post subject: The good times
The happiest song in the world (well, in my world, anyway) is Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head. Don't mind whose version, tho at the moment the only one I have a copy of is by the Manic Street Preachers. No matter how bad I feel, it makes me smile. Got me through the roughest of times.

"If you are dirty, insignificant and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model" - Banksy

JVONEARTH

Posted Mon Mar 26th, 2007 11:19pm Post subject: The good times
They done a cover of that

boffinbabe12

Posted Mon Mar 26th, 2007 11:36pm Post subject: The good times
Weird Al Yankovic can make me happy also.
I'm trying to think of the happiest song... Bobby darin: Don't Rain on My Parade is a good'un.
I'm sure that there is one that I can't think of...
Oh and "Mystery" By Hugh Laurie

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Tue Mar 27th, 2007 12:05am Post subject: The good times
Music is a big thing for me, it was the only thing that consoled me the last 5 years.

Recently Ive found a song that just lifts me; The Gift by Angels and Airwaves.
Something about the music.... just feels like Im soaring above a green landscape on a sunny day.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Tue Mar 27th, 2007 8:31am Post subject: The good times
Copacabana by Barry Manilow (:-// sorry, late 70s teenager) - accompanied by some dancercising X-D

melampus

Posted Tue Mar 27th, 2007 8:57am Post subject: The good times
Copacabana by Barry Manilow (:-// sorry, late 70s teenager) - accompanied by some dancercising X-D

I love that song too, and I'm not ashamed to admit it!!!!! There is actually a place called Copacabana in Bolivia -- it's the wedding hotspot of the country, everyone goes there to get hitched -- but when I was there all I could think of was that crazy song!

I also love "Yes Sir, I Can Boogie" by Bakara.

But then, I also love Nick Cave. Whatever...

dreamweaver

Posted Tue Mar 27th, 2007 1:30pm Post subject: The good times
for when I'm down, Allegri's Miserere .

the whole of 'The Final Cut' by Pink Floyd

and some Stan Getz Bossa Nova

when I can listen to some kick-ass trance then I know I've gotten over the latest bout...

my crawl from my depressive states starts from the deepest darkest and ends in the ridiculous!!!!!

Flossy

Posted Tue Mar 27th, 2007 10:49pm Post subject: The good times
Being an old lover of rock n' stuff I must just draw everyones attention toward a song called "Time stand still" by a beautiful band called Rush. From thier Hold Your Fire album, the song is about kind of slowing down and stopping for a while, just to appreciate the things we sometimes take for granted such as friends and family.

Didn't think a classic rock band could sing about such stuff didja?

Check it out, get a download! Listen to it's sheer beauty!

JVONEARTH

Posted Tue Mar 27th, 2007 11:26pm Post subject: The good times
Ah Rush yes..... 2112 i play often

joan

Posted Wed Mar 28th, 2007 7:11am Post subject: The good times
I don't think the 60s and early 70s music has ever been beaten, to tell the truth. 50s stuff was boring - all that establishment stuff, and Frank Sinatra and Doris Day. Then along came the Beatles, the Mersey sound, The Stones.....I remember it clearly; it was as if someone had turned the lights on. I was walking down the stairs thinking about school one morning, when the radio DJ said "As one Beatle said to another....." then he played their first hit. 'Love me Do'. Everything changed in England after that.
It was round about then when we all started protesting what the establishment was doing: we went on the CND marches, took anti-fox hunting action etc. I loved the hunt saboteurs; I used to go hiking and cycling in the Yorkshire Dales with my mates, and whenever we had a chance we'd help the saboteurs by sticking up misleading hunt info in the villages we passed through, or whatever else we could do.
In the USA the civil rights movement was gaining momentum, Dr. King was still alive and drivinging the rednecks and racists insane. We thought we were at the start of a new Enlightenment. Ha.
Along came Thatcher and Reagan and, well, you know the rest. And what do we get for 'music' now? Bloody stupid, ugly, Rap, or sound-engineered meandering whinge music a la Whitney Houston. Grrrrrr.