Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

trouser material

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 6:49pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
As a thin person its difficult to see why fat people don't just work harder to get smaller if thats what they want to do. The fatties that i see regularly(ish) simply moan about the size they are, then eat an entire loaf of bread for breakfast. Its difficult to sympathise with that.

If overweight people are happy as they are, thats fine. I personally wouldn't be, but thats me. If in the future i become boat-sized as a result of glandular problems or a deficiency of keeping my head out of the fridge - then i expect to have the piss taken out of me. X-D

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 6:56pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
Ok lets put it this way Trousers, would you go up to a drug addict and tell them to cop on and just stop using?
Would you tell somone who uses drink to block emotions that they should just stop drinking, forget it and move on snap of your fingers?
Food is addictive, its connected to alot of emotions and its not as simple as stop eating and work out. whats more, you cant live without it so any addiction you have can not be cut out like drink or drugs can.
You and others - Meeky included - will never get this.... because you dont have a problem with it. Why judge someone for it when its not as simple as it seems?

You are actually being prejudiced about it yet you dont realise.... or dont care.

meekychuppet

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 7:58pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
Ok lets put it this way Trousers, would you go up to a drug addict and tell them to cop on and just stop using?
Would you tell somone who uses drink to block emotions that they should just stop drinking, forget it and move on snap of your fingers?
Food is addictive, its connected to alot of emotions and its not as simple as stop eating and work out. whats more, you cant live without it so any addiction you have can not be cut out like drink or drugs can.
You and others - Meeky included - will never get this.... because you dont have a problem with it. Why judge someone for it when its not as simple as it seems?

You are actually being prejudiced about it yet you dont realise.... or dont care.

Food addiction has risen with consumerism. It is a symptom of our time, not a disease. Opulence is not an illness, nor is excess in this case.

I can excuse a lot of addiction personally and I have no issue with overweight folks unless they say ridiculous things like "I'm overweight AND healthy". If you are happy then you're happy. Whatever floats your boat doesn't sink mine. I don't mind what you are, hell, it's none of my business but if you can't admit it then it's a little ripe.

When I was a kid there was one fat kid in every school who was vilified and ostracised. As awful as that is it kept everyone else in check and was far better than what we have now.

Apologists for it have created a space for it to become acceptable and, excuse the pun, it has been filled.

Food addiction is largely a label attached to those who don't exercise. I eat far more than my allotted calorie allowance but I work out and do cardiovascular work 6 days a week so I need the calories. Even if you eat the usual 2500 or whatever, you may not be overeating but you'll stay as you are because you'll maintain that weight, never running a deficit.

But hey, I ain't bitching, I just call the BS when I see it.

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 8:08pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
Basically people become obese because they eat too much of the wrong things and don't work out. But there are various reasons why they do have these habits:
- children are fed with junk food by their ignorant parents. Fat children tend to be bullied at school, are lonely and console themselves with even more junk food and sweets. They end up addicted to sugar and it's hard to break this vicious circle. Fat, unhappy children drag their eating habits into adulthood and become obese, unhappy people with no self-esteem at all.
- People who are lonely, have suffered abuse etc. may console themselves with sweets. A good example is Natasha Kampusch, the Viennese girl who was held captive for 8 years. Since her escape she has gained a lot of weight and is clearly overweight now, which psychologists attribute to her overall fragile emotional state.
- People who are ignorant about healthy nutrition, eat what and how much they like and can't be bothered to do some workout.

Without doubt obesity is now one of the greatest health risks in industrial countries and costs billions of pounds, euros and dollars. But to say 'eat more vegetables, do more work out' just doesn't do in cases where the reasons for obesity lie deeper than just pure ignorance and laziness. And it's exceedingly painful for unhappy obese people who perhaps have been bullied all their lives to receive insult after insult - they'll only stay at home and drown their unhappiness in food. Therefore I'm careful with my judgement. To call someone disgusting because he is fat is disgusting itself.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 9:46pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
Meeky do me a favour, get off your high and mighty pedistal, take the pole out of your arse and read what Im about to say - You do not know everything. SOME people are over weight and healthy, some people arnt. This all stemmed from this attitude you portraited that things are black or white, that EVERYTHING is one way or the other - Its not. It never will be.

You cant say addiction to food is not a disease, you dont know that. What about those who's chemical imbalance in their brain that tells them when they are full is so out of whack that they cant stop eating? (hmmm not too far away from that connected to the chemical imbalance related to D/MD... which some of the public and professionals still deny is a disease yet WE all know on this board exists) Do you tell them "aww its just a symptom of our time" ?

For crying out loud, you ovbiously dont have a problem being overweight - why beat on people who do?! You dont know what they have been through, you dont know why they are like that. you dont know anything about it because you havnt been that kid that everyone calls names and picks on purely because of their looks. Hell if the kid had not been fat but black it would be rascism....

For your information, I was that kid. I had a stomach ulcer when I was 6 that needed the harshest cocktails of ADULT steroids to get rid of, leaving me bigger then other kids. I was picked on, bullied from then on by everyone. Im not exagerating - strangers would slag me. Nobody knew why I was that way, they didnt realy care. they just assumed I was lazy. I tried everything to get rid of it but I couldnt. I have grown up thinking that to be thin is the only way people will love you.... Ive depended on food for my happiness.
So dont give me this crap that all I did was overeat and that all I have to do is excersise. Its not like that in the real world, its not a straight forward answer. How can you so lightly touch on the effect that bullying can do to a kid?! who the fuck are you to put in your opinion of something and then sit back thinking it cant be wrong when you obviously dont know the first thing about the subject.

meekychuppet

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 10:42pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
I never said food addiction doesn't exist, I said it is something that has grown in proportion with the industries that supply it and profit from it. It's called Capitalism.

If you are overweight you are unhealthy. That's it. No discussion. Don't believe me? Ask your doctor.

JVONEARTH

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 10:58pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
I eat a lot of junk food and weigh just under 12 stone my weight doesn't seem to got up. My blood pressure is normal but i'm sure my colesteral is high and my arteries have seen better days but there are many thing that can contribute to being overweight.
Food gets played about with so much who knows whats been added to it and for what reason. You don't have to be a pig to put on weight but there are endless reasons why you could.
Overweight people do have medical conditions caused by being overweight. I know a women with massive tits and they give her backache. And we could go on all night about it but it's like many things it 's the understanding.

yeeaaaaah!!

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 11:44pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
meekychuppet wrote: Overweight = unhealthy. End of discussion. I didn't judge, I just told the truth.

it may be the truth. but what gave you the right to say that?
why don't you just keep all your unnecessary facts and opinions to yourself.

meekychuppet

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 11:48pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
meekychuppet wrote: Overweight = unhealthy. End of discussion. I didn't judge, I just told the truth.

it may be the truth. but what gave you the right to say that?
why don't you just keep all your unnecessary facts and opinions to yourself.

What is an unnecessary fact?

Jenn_E

Posted Mon Apr 2nd, 2007 12:06am Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
I'm almost scared to ask, but has Shrink Rap aired yet? I never managed to pin down a definite air date. I'm thinking it probably has given that this thread exists, but you never know.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Mon Apr 2nd, 2007 12:25am Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
If you are overweight you are unhealthy. That's it. No discussion. Don't believe me? Ask your doctor.

No discussion? have you not read anything that Ive said at all???? Meeky dont be so nieve... If you are overweight yet have no illhealth does that not make you healthy?! because Im not suffering at all from my weight, my GP has said ideally your meant to be such and such but I have no medical problems as I am.

I never said food addiction doesn't exist, I said it is something that has grown in proportion with the industries that supply it and profit from it. It's called Capitalism

No you said it wasnt a disease. I corrected you on that. Read what was said.
Its not all consumerism or capitalism. I didnt sit at home and look at the tv and say "you know what, I want to eat that" I didnt follow the adds or the promotions in the shops, I didnt follow what the magazines where saying. I had no positivety directed towards me because stupid narrow minded people assumed that I was lazy and treated me like shit. Food was the only satisfaction for me and it temporarily filled a hole that was meant to be my self esteem.

Its interesting that you didnt respond to anything else in my posts....

Fiona

Posted Mon Apr 2nd, 2007 1:17am Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
I'm almost scared to ask, but has Shrink Rap aired yet? I never managed to pin down a definite air date. I'm thinking it probably has given that this thread exists, but you never know.

I believe it is the second show in the series, so it'll be Tuesday April 3 it airs.

Jenn_E

Posted Mon Apr 2nd, 2007 2:19am Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
Thanks, Fiona.

And just to throw my $.02 in, let's not make judgments about ANY person or their perceived shortcomings until you've walked a proverbial mile in their shoes. As a person who is currently thin (a size who used to be overweight (a size 16), I can tell you first hand what an incredible struggle it is to lose weight and keep it off. Sometimes it's not just a matter of saying no to the good stuff. I personally have to truly work at maintaining my size. That means constantly watching calories and fat intake, and making sure to get lots of exercise every day. And sometimes even when I am really watchful of those things, I still manage to put on a pound or two. And of course that's discouraging, so my first thought is, "Well, I go through all this crap to try to make it work, and look what happens anyway. I might as well just do nothing." That only leads to more weight gain, and more unhappiness. It truly is a cycle that's so incredibly hard to get out of . I guess my point is that not everyone who carries around extra weight is irresponsible and careless. And as far as I'm concerned, medicating with food sure beats the hell out of medicating with drugs or alcohol.

My apologies if someone else has already made this argument..... my computer time is limited these days, and I haven't had an opportunity to read every single post. Please don't flay me.... I'm nice, I promise.

Wallylama

Posted Mon Apr 2nd, 2007 4:47am Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
Well, this is one heck of a way to intro myself to group but I just couldnt let this one slip.

When talking about food, drug and alcohol additcion, food is the only one that you have to have. Every day. At least 3 times a day you are forced to face it.
You can live the rest of your life never taking another drug or sip of alcohol. But you will have to eat when lunch time comes around. Try telling the alcoholic that he HAS to drink , every day, but never get drunk. See how long he lasts.

---I shall step back now into my lurkerdom.

AxmxZ

Posted Mon Apr 2nd, 2007 5:24am Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
Well, this is one heck of a way to intro myself to group but I just couldnt let this one slip.

When talking about food, drug and alcohol additcion, food is the only one that you have to have. Every day. At least 3 times a day you are forced to face it.
You can live the rest of your life never taking another drug or sip of alcohol. But you will have to eat when lunch time comes around. Try telling the alcoholic that he HAS to drink , every day, but never get drunk. See how long he lasts.

---I shall step back now into my lurkerdom.

Good point.