Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

trouser material

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 12:59pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
One, which a coworker of mine has fallen foul of is increased strain and wear on joints, particularly in the knees.

Gout.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 3:06pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
Kit's male

Gravesy

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 3:22pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)

Why is it only the ladies are argueing in defence of the fat corner in this debate? Where are all the male plumper supporters on here?

I like pies (I'm on the picture thread so you can see I really like pies). Do I qualify for this thread?

I think we need to look at how fat is 'fat'? I'd class myself as fat and that's due to lack of excercise and eating too many good things. I've been thinner, fitter and much healthier and I plan on getting back to that someday. I also know people who are bigger than me and are fitter, I'll leave out the word healthier as I have no idea about their state of health.

Does fat mean anything bigger than magazine chic? Bigger than a 36" waist or size 14? Is it possible to quantify tubby, plump, fat, obese, skinny, trim, athletic, etc? BMI is a useless tool is there some other relative form of measure we can use and thus bring about a sensible discussion on the sbuject (and with any luck an end to the crap spouted in various women/chat magazines).

Jenn_E

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 5:26pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
Perhaps body fat percentage would be a more accurate gauge? Sorry I don't have a link to a chart.

trouser material

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 5:27pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
Kit's male

Is she?

One of the (very obese) guys at my place of work had a test to see how much of his mass was fat. It was 42%. That has to be bad, surely, but i have nothing to compare it to, sadly.

Gravesy

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 5:38pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)

One of the (very obese) guys at my place of work had a test to see how much of his mass was fat. It was 42%. That has to be bad, surely, but i have nothing to compare it to, sadly.

I once had an obese collegue who broke three office chairs in a row. I don't mean he was sitting on all three at the same time, I meant he was supplied with one, broke it and did the same to the replacements. Glad I cleared that one up. Never use one word when eleven will suffice. I'm not saying that's my general philosophy, it's just something I thought I'd mention while I'm in General Musings. Well, I think clears that up.

Jenn_E

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 7:35pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
I just found a chart on body fat percentages. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page. It's kind of small, but it's better than nothing. And incidentally, I have absolutely no idea what my ranking is.

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/body_weight/body_fat/percentage.htm

JVONEARTH

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 10:45pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
I eat the wrong food it's all take aways big sunday dinners and coke....the drink kind....I'm not fat i never seem to put on weight but on the inside i must be pretty clogged up :'(
Not everyone who is fat is that way because of food intake or because they don't care. And there are health issues...like it or not.....If we all could accept people for who they are and not how they look the world would be just a little bit more of a happy place to live in.
Also glad to see the thread has calmed down a bit

meekychuppet

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 10:47pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
I have repeatedly stated I don't care what weight a person is. It's the bullshitting about it I take issue with.

ysabella

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 10:50pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
Once again, incorrect. The only time you will ever see someone with an obesity range BMI is if they are extremely muscular, i.e. a rugby player such as Jonny Wilkinson. This is not the same as being fat and healthy. If a person looks at him to justify their own state then that person is deceiving themselves.
So it's sheer bodyfat as a measure of ill-health, in your little world. Lifestyle doesn't count, health markers don't count.

IF YOU ARE FAT YOU ARE NOT HEALTHY.

It is not a matter of opinion. Don't take my word for it. Ask your GP.

YOU CAN BE FAT AND HEALTHY.

Try asking any one of my doctors. Actually, my endocrinologist would be the best one to explain it.

ysabella

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 11:09pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
I have repeatedly stated I don't care what weight a person is. It's the bullshitting about it I take issue with.

Personally, I'm not bullshitting. I'm fat and quite healthy. I'm very active and eat a very strict diet. My blood tests are fabulous. And of course I gave birth to a robust, healthy child nearly one year ago.

I would like to be thinner, I'm not going to lie about that. It happens to be very hard for me to lose weight due to three major medical issues (hypothyroidism, PCOS, and exercise-induced asthma). But someone who is thinner than I am isn't automatically healthier. I mean, my husband is thinner than I am but he's totally sedentary, eats what I cook plus junk food and beer, and smokes. Do you honestly think he's healthier?

meekychuppet

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 8:46am Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
Once again, incorrect. The only time you will ever see someone with an obesity range BMI is if they are extremely muscular, i.e. a rugby player such as Jonny Wilkinson. This is not the same as being fat and healthy. If a person looks at him to justify their own state then that person is deceiving themselves.
So it's sheer bodyfat as a measure of ill-health, in your little world. Lifestyle doesn't count, health markers don't count.

IF YOU ARE FAT YOU ARE NOT HEALTHY.

It is not a matter of opinion. Don't take my word for it. Ask your GP.

YOU CAN BE FAT AND HEALTHY.

Try asking any one of my doctors. Actually, my endocrinologist would be the best one to explain it.

No you can't.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 8:02pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
I eat the wrong food it's all take aways big sunday dinners and coke....the drink kind....I'm not fat i never seem to put on weight but on the inside i must be pretty clogged up :'(
Not everyone who is fat is that way because of food intake or because they don't care. And there are health issues...like it or not.....If we all could accept people for who they are and not how they look the world would be just a little bit more of a happy place to live in.

Also glad to see the thread has calmed down a bit :D

Are you sure?....

But you are making a point here JVONEARTH, sometimes slim people may not be as healthy as their appearance may suggest (as a 10-stone individual I feel I am allowed to make this sort of statement, without being lynched... I hope...)(ever had a thyroid function test done, Jvonearth? or are you just so active - would not surprise me taking into account what you do for a living...)

And another point you mentioned: fast food...
How many of you do actually do their own cooking (rarely, occasionally, frequently...)? Would you like to do it more often, but just cannot find the time? Is it always a lack of time that keeps people from preparing meals freshly, or is it that members of a family come home at different times and a joint meal is more or less an impossibility? So why bother? Or is it the second generation of fast-food eaters who used to be fed FF by their parents... and it proves difficult to break the habit? Or is it that you just HATE cooking?

JVONEARTH

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 8:25pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
Hello Gerti.
yes you are right about thin people. I can't make a comment that is 100% right as i'm not a doctor. It was just a general post. I do like cooking and i don't have the time. I was just trying to find middle ground on the subject

ysabella

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 11:28pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
SKINNY PEOPLE ALWAYS HAVE TO HAVE THE LAST WORD. ESPECIALLY WRONG SKINNY PEOPLE.