Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Shannette

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 11:29pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
I'm not even sure who is being talked about - can someone tell me?

Shannette

ysabella

Posted Thu Apr 5th, 2007 11:42pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
The thread started as a split off of a thread about Shrink Rap, twhich is here.

Now there's just a bunch of flailing, really. Meeky says fat people are inherently unhealthy. I say that's not true, and other people think he's being mean or something.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Fri Apr 6th, 2007 2:36am Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
And another point you mentioned: fast food...
How many of you do actually do their own cooking (rarely, occasionally, frequently...)? Would you like to do it more often, but just cannot find the time? Is it always a lack of time that keeps people from preparing meals freshly, or is it that members of a family come home at different times and a joint meal is more or less an impossibility? So why bother? Or is it the second generation of fast-food eaters who used to be fed FF by their parents... and it proves difficult to break the habit? Or is it that you just HATE cooking?

I do all the cooking in my house and it is all natural with no additives or excess fat. We use organic food, free range and cook using low fat methods.... Its actually got to the stage where we cant even use jars of sauces or anything "ready made" because they all contain gluten which my dad cant eat.

Im not saying we are perfect but out of 7 meals in the week, 6 are probably organised fresh home made meals with one being a last minute "whatever we can muster up" meal. We used to eat a fast food or take away once a week but that stopped last year. we only eat take away about twice a month if even that.

ysabella

Posted Fri Apr 6th, 2007 9:54am Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
But you are making a point here JVONEARTH, sometimes slim people may not be as healthy as their appearance may suggest (as a 10-stone individual I feel I am allowed to make this sort of statement, without being lynched... I hope...)(ever had a thyroid function test done, Jvonearth? or are you just so active - would not surprise me taking into account what you do for a living...)
That's my point, too. People just have different metabolisms, and there are a lot of variables.
It's like saying a vegetarian diet is healthier just because it's vegetarian. A two-pound bag of M&Ms is vegetarian, but it isn't exactly healthy.

And another point you mentioned: fast food...
How many of you do actually do their own cooking (rarely, occasionally, frequently...)?
Are you looking as a survey? Almost totally home-cooked here, and the carbs are very controlled because of my family history of diabetes. I have made quite a lot of my baby's food as well. But I am one of the lucky ones, because I work from home - no commute time means more time for shopping, cooking, etc.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Fri Apr 6th, 2007 12:13pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
If we all could accept people for who they are and not how they look the world would be just a little bit more of a happy place to live in.

Hi Jvonearth!
I totally agree with that! I may not be overweight, but I suffered for over a decade from a blemish that made life very difficult and lonely because I felt rejected as a result of it. I found that most people do NOT share your attitude, sadly

X-D X-D (this refers to the M&Ms, ysabella... by the way, your little boy is lucky to get "baby food made my Mommy!" )
Thanks everyone for the info re: home cooking. It was not meant to be a survey, just me being curious! I live in a tiny place but the pubs and restaurants are packed in the evenings, which has led me to think that home cooking is on the decline... and most of my workmates live on take-aways (a service provided by the restaurants, so far, fast food as in Maccy et al. has not arrived here yet...)

Time seems to be a crucial factor in this context (as I presumed), the lack of it preventing people from cooking, but interestingly also allergies (as mentioned by Crazy-in-a-box, how sad) forcing people to do their own cooking.
I am often surprised to see how many people develop all sorts of food allergies ... not just children (excessive cleanliness is incriminated in the rise of allergies in children, as you may all have heard before), but adults as well. I sometimes wonder whether it is some sort of physiological self-defence against all the artificial colours and additives admixed with ready-made food, including sauces - I hope this does not sound too odd :-//

trouser material

Posted Fri Apr 6th, 2007 5:40pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
fast food as in Maccy et al. has not arrived here yet...)
I've noticed people in Europe seem to be much slimmer ON THE WHOLE than us fast food slobs here in England and America. Its interesting Gerti that you mention McDonalds and all the other crap aren't prominent where you live yet.

Can the two be related i ask myself?

Jenn_E

Posted Fri Apr 6th, 2007 5:52pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
A two-pound bag of M&Ms is vegetarian, but it isn't exactly healthy.

This actually made me laugh out loud. In my younger days, I could sit down with one of the large bags of M&M's and eat the whole thing while watching a movie. Aahhh, the good old days. X-D

absolutely curtains

Posted Fri Apr 6th, 2007 6:16pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
Overweight = unhealthy.The BMI is a load of old codswallop, as it is not at all indicative of a person's health. Ok, it says how people SHOULD be, but you can't generalise the human race, that's ridiculous.

There are exceptions as with every rule but saying it's codswallop is basically saying it's rubbish because you don't make the grade

Such cheek. Never even met me!

Assuming that only fat people can stick up for fat people? Or even that un-average people can only stick up for the un-average? Psh!

meekychuppet

Posted Fri Apr 6th, 2007 7:47pm Post subject: The Great Weight Debate (split from Shrink Rap)
I don't even know what the hell is going on in this thread any longer.