Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

exoskeleton

Posted Tue May 12th, 2009 6:55am Post subject: the highly underappreciated iPod Touch
I have been forming this little rant in my head for a few weeks now, and dropping little bits of it around the internet, but I didn't know where to put it when it formed an entire idea. the idea finally formed an hour ago, and this seems like as a good a place as any to finally put it. (should I try capitalizing the beginnings of sentences like an actual essay? nah...)

I absolutely cannot understand why Apple does not advertise what a wonderful little gadget the iPod Touch is. it gets no attention whatsoever. I just watched a TV advertisement about using applications, and it said that it was "only on the iPhone" or something to that effect. that is simply not true! the same company makes another product that also works with almost all applications, and it tries to bill the phone as exclusive!? I don't understand this.
this is how I ended up buying an iPod Touch:
as someone who already had a cheap, not-theftworthy cell phone on a family plan, I did not want an iPhone at all. however, as I did not own any portable music device beyond a CD player, I was vaguely interested in getting something a bit more modern in that department. my primary goal was to find something smaller than my laptop that I could use on the wifi system that is all over campus. I considered a Kindle but too many books I'm interested in reading aren't available for it.

I used to want an iPod Touch because I wanted to play with the touch screen. I didn't realize how much it did.

then I was eating with a friend and she got out her iPod Touch and used it to access the internet and I was like "ah-ha, this is what I will get" and I got it that weekend. it makes my daily travels so much lighter because I can leave my laptop at home (plugged into a million and three cords). I use the iPod so often that it has definitely been worth the cost already.

I just think it is very strange that I had to find out about the iPod's capability by word of mouth, that the company never communicated to me about a product that I would have wanted. I still access a lot of sites that tell me they're using the "iPhone" format, and sometime when I do actions on the sites it shows up saying that I've used my iPhone. I have run into many people who I know don' t live under rocks saying things like "wait, you get on the internet with an iPod? really?" or "I thought that only played music." no one knows!

anyway that's most of the story.
things extracted to keep it comprehensible include:
--the fact that actively avoided iPods and iTunes for years waiting for Apple to make a product I actually wanted. turns out they'd done it but I wasn't aware. I still keep my actual music collection in Windows Media Player.
--the fact that I used to have an mp3 player but it was stolen from a locker room in high school. fortunately I didn't really care-- I just accepted it was gone and never tried to get another one.

sockdolager.

PamJH

Posted Tue May 12th, 2009 3:04pm Post subject: the highly underappreciated iPod Touch
I had no idea it could do all that. I have a new iPod nano that I really like, but maybe I should have gone the extra mile and gotten the Touch. Drat.

exoskeleton

Posted Tue May 12th, 2009 5:03pm Post subject: the highly underappreciated iPod Touch
I think iPod nanos are quite nice, and they're quite good at the specialized task of playing music. I think the iPod Touch should rightly have some sort of different name to separate it from the iPod brand and bring it closer to the iPhone.
I am always slow adapting to new technology, but I am already using my iPod for:
-- checking the weather every morning
-- tweeting via Tweetie
-- browsing the internet (I am posting from it right now) the browser it comes with is safari and you see most websites just as you would on a computer, and just use your finger to push around the site
--checking my school email online, plus my gmail account with an app
--play free games
--watch YouTube videos
--do crossword puzzles (with a free app)
--sending text messages! really! for free! and receiving replies. (this is with a free app again)
--accessed the iTunes store when I wanted a song because it got stuck in my head in the library.
--and oh yeah...I have put music from my CDs on it.

also, I haven't downloaded anything with it yet but I got the Kindle app which was free! I thought that was fantastic.

sockdolager.

PamJH

Posted Tue May 12th, 2009 11:26pm Post subject: the highly underappreciated iPod Touch
Let me ask a dumb question. Do you have to pay a monthly fee to access all that? Or do you go to a spot where there's wireless internet, like campus? I have satellite internet at my rural home, so I wonder if it would have worked for me here. I've been kicking myself for not investigating this gadget.

exoskeleton

Posted Wed May 13th, 2009 1:08am Post subject: the highly underappreciated iPod Touch
Let me ask a dumb question. Do you have to pay a monthly fee to access all that? Or do you go to a spot where there's wireless internet, like campus? I have satellite internet at my rural home, so I wonder if it would have worked for me here. I've been kicking myself for not investigating this gadget.

I do not pay a monthly fee. it works anywhere with wireless internet. if you don't have that in your house then perhaps it wouldn't be as useful for you.

I am pretty sure you can use a router with satellite internet, but I know almost nothing about internet access stuff.

sockdolager.

PamJH

Posted Wed May 13th, 2009 11:20pm Post subject: the highly underappreciated iPod Touch
This is all very helpful information. I go to many places with wireless internet, such as the library and the coffee shop. Otherwise, I'd use the touch for music. Oh, I wish I'd have investigated this further. Next time this is what I'll get.

Catt_H

Posted Thu May 14th, 2009 8:30pm Post subject: the highly underappreciated iPod Touch
i love my ipod touch

it's extremely useful to have around when you're a) bored, b) lonely or c) wanting to listen to music

since i am one of these 3 almost all the time, sorted!

Plus, it allows me to no longer wallow in the rancid pit that is insomnia, because i can instead chuckle along to Stephen's podcasts

PamJH

Posted Thu May 14th, 2009 11:13pm Post subject: the highly underappreciated iPod Touch
I was looking at all of apple's gizmos and found out that I can go wireless. I only need about $300 for an airport thingummy. Only.

Catt_H

Posted Sun May 17th, 2009 4:50pm Post subject: the highly underappreciated iPod Touch
i don't recommend cafe nero for free wireless access- my local has a contract with bt where i have to pay £4 an hour!!!

much better value to just go to mcdonalds (though i'd probably rather pay £4 if i'm honest) or Costa