Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Wed Jun 1st, 2011 3:42pm Post subject: THE HOBBIT

So the first part of the Hobbit is coming out soon and I'm really excited about that. I was v impressed with the work Mr.Jackson did on the Trilogy, although I did a mumble a little bit, ( in the dark, by myself lol ), that Tom Bombadil didn't surface. Maybe this time??? Please?? He wasn't on every page, but you know, he was older than Gandalf ( which is saying a lot ) and really kind of..well...maybe a little nuts. But still, as subtle as his importance was, he was kind of a keystone in the little hobbits adventure.

Now, not being a very good fan of anyone I had no idea Mr.Fry was cast in the movie and will be playing the master of Laketown. I'm looking forward to how he interprets that guy and hope it makes him that much more familiar to anyone he'd care it to.

Pardon my effusion, but I can't say enough how, more than anything else, impressed I've been with Mr.Jacksons ability to compress Time in a story without compressing the story itself. That's my nonsense statement for the day. Mostly.

Ian McKellan staying on as Gandalf...talk about blowing a huge sigh of relief. He nailed Gandalf. Totally, freaking, nailed him IMHO More than most of the Tolkien characters, besides the elf king, I was hoping for that. But after all, Mr.McKellan has such a fantastic career of characters he's played, and so well. There are great American actors, of course, but there's just something about a Brtish "thespian" that is really special, particularly in some stories. I never 'heard' an English accent when I read Tolkiens books, but seeing the movie it struck a kind of natural chord especially with the obviously bad guys and obviously good guys ( gandalf vs sauron for instance ).

Nope, not a Tolkien geek at all. But do admire Mr.Jackson's abilities and excited for Mr.Fry. Anyone else looking forward to this movie or can I count on listening to crickets?

Really? Wow.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Jun 10th, 2011 12:54pm Post subject: THE HOBBIT

I'm looking forward to seeing this film. I loved Jackson's adaptations of LOTR and enjoy watching them back-to-back. I enjoyed reading the books as well. Haven't read any Tolkien in a while. Maybe I should re-read The Hobbit.

Assuming direct control...

Nitro

Posted Mon Jun 13th, 2011 4:34am Post subject: THE HOBBIT

Oh yeah. The Hobbit was terrific

I actually plodded through The Silmarillion once.

Once.

Really? Wow.

Nitro

Posted Tue Jul 12th, 2011 1:47pm Post subject: THE HOBBIT

FREAKY FREAKY FREAKY!!!

ISomeone sent me a link to I guess vblog log...video clip lol..from The Hobbit set. I'm sitting there watching and just about had a god damned heart attack.

There was a man in a Kangol hat sitting on a stool discussing a scene and was the splitting, doppleganger, xerox copy image of my father. Stupified and stunned, I finally realized it was Ian McKellan. If I hadn't witnessed my dad checking out with my own eyes, I really would've thought he had pulled a joke and faked his own death.

Really? Wow.

Nitro

Posted Thu Jul 14th, 2011 12:58pm Post subject: THE HOBBIT

I detest the youtube phishers, scammers, and general lunkheads who post phoney trailers for movies.

BTW, don't fall for trailer trickery. Before viewing anything, better to glance over the comments. You can suss from that what's 'official' and what's not. The problem here is that Flash is used, along with javascript, and IFRAMES sometimes, that can set malicious software on your machine. And that's the point for some of these people. Just sayin'...

Anyway, so Tom Bombadil is left out again Given everything he did for the Hobbits, that he is the only one the Ring has no power over, that he's colorful and quirky, if not downright weird, and maybe meant to be a symbol of Eternity... I find this story decision disappointing but know I'm also biased and not responsible for a bazillion dollar budget. I just figured if Tolkien thought enough of him to produce an entire book on ol'Tom, the makers of these films might think him important enough to include as well.

Really? Wow.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Aug 12th, 2011 1:56pm Post subject: THE HOBBIT

I'm sure there'll be a good reason despite it being disappointing. It's like with the Harry Potter films they cut so much stuff out. Not everything translates well on screen or is workable as a film despite working as a book. Look how long it took them to finally adapt Gormenghast after it being declared as unfilmable.

People are always making their own trailers on youtube. They make them for video games and some make them for films they wish were real but may never be made. I usually assume something is fanmade until I see evidence otherwise. What I find more annoying is when you try to find a music video and it's just someone sat in their bedroom miming to the lyrics - why?!

mvet88

Posted Sun Aug 14th, 2011 7:41am Post subject: THE HOBBIT

amyl_nitrate said:
What I find more annoying is when you try to find a music video and it's just someone sat in their bedroom miming to the lyrics - why?!

Or when they film a video clip on their tv using a crappy phone camera and all you see is blurry pictures and tinny noise.

Congrats Nitro on reading The Similarion. Much as I love LOTR and The Hobbit, I could never get past page 2 of that one!

Nitro

Posted Mon Aug 15th, 2011 12:09am Post subject: THE HOBBIT

Too bad reading it doesn't give you a solid gold medal or any 'I love Me' paraphranalia to hang on the wall.

Getting to Page 2 should at least get you a 'Hurrah!'

Really? Wow.

delph_ambi

Posted Mon Aug 15th, 2011 4:36pm Post subject: THE HOBBIT

I managed the entire Silmarillion, but once only. Never felt the urge to re-read, even though I used to read LOTR at least once a year through my teens.

Hugely looking forward to the Hobbit film. Regarding Tom Bombadil, there'd be no way of including him in the Hobbit without then remaking the LOTR films in order to give him his proper part in them, so it was never going to happen.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Aug 15th, 2011 5:53pm Post subject: THE HOBBIT

I too got through the Silmarillion....once. It is heavy going. I found myself constantly referring to the family trees in the back just to keep track of who was who.

Oh yes mvet88 those crappy recordings of a tv screen really suck. Poor quality and not worth bothering with in the first place. Makes me wonder why they bother uploading them. With youtube it's always the case of trawling through a lot of crap to find the gems. An example of a gem is babelcolour's Doctor Who fanvideos. Totally worth checking out. S/he does colourised clips of Hartnell/Troughton era episodes and fan videos dedicated to different Doctors, companions, villaints and topics.

Nitro

Posted Sat Aug 20th, 2011 10:17am Post subject: THE HOBBIT

I don't even allow videos to just load anymore ( noscript helps with that! ), and instead look directly at the comments. If it's a flop or fraud, there's usually someone busting them on it there.

Well now I think youtube works with both vevo ( suck ) and movieclips (suck)

I disagree entirely about Tom Bombadil, at least in terms of the logic used. In the second movie, pippin and merry spent half the movie sitting in treebeard...

A quick appearance by Tom, who he is, and why he's significant could be explained in about 5 minutes with the help of Gandalf...I still say if Tolkien thought enough of Tom to dedicate an entire book to him, it doesn't make sense to have subtracted Tom, the one person the ring has NO power over, AT ALL from the movies...

suddenly i feel like an LOTR geek when i really just don't care as much as these words indicate

Really? Wow.

tannni

Posted Thu Sep 8th, 2011 7:17pm Post subject: THE HOBBIT

And I like "The Hobbit" JRR Tolkien. I hope Peter Jackson will make a wonderful full of jokes now that it will be interesting to watch. I like dwarves, though I do not like Martin Freeman. I am pleased that the role of Thorin took the talented British actor Richard Armitage. Well, Gandalf - the best in the company of travelers. I can not wait when they meet with the owner of Lake City.

(sorry my english i from russia)

Tomorrow is closer than yesterday

Nitro

Posted Tue Sep 13th, 2011 2:49pm Post subject: THE HOBBIT

They look like action figures already!

Ian McKlellan is amazing in whatever role he plays and he really captured Gandalf's temperment so well. He wasn't too over the top in any direction emotionally, but instead was just so 'real'. I'm looking forward to the Hobbit

Really? Wow.

Avath

Posted Sat Oct 1st, 2011 9:07pm Post subject: THE HOBBIT

Oh my God, I cannot express how excited I am about this. I am a HUGE LOTR nerd - both books and films - so I am tingling! I've spent so many hours of my life watching the extended edition dvd documentaries and the commentaries that I know most of them by heart. It's a party trick that I perform for my husband and his friends hahaha. Too bad I haven't put that mind space and power into something more productive, really.

So, in short: OMFGZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Nitro

Posted Wed Oct 5th, 2011 7:29am Post subject: THE HOBBIT

"Too bad I haven't put that mind space and power into something more productive, really"

That's a matter of perspective, I wouldn't be too hard on yourself

Besides, you make them happy with it, I'm sure. Not to mention, you never know what it may actually pay off

Really? Wow.