Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

AxmxZ

Posted Sat Aug 11th, 2007 5:20pm Post subject: The Hogwarts Sorting Hat

I read books 1,2 and 5, in futile hope that "maybe the next one will be better."

You missed out two of the best books in the series - 3 and 4. I haven't finished seven yet (it's been put on hold because I can never get round to reading it) but what I have read has been brilliant so far so it could easily join 3, 4 and 5 as the best in the series. There hasn't been a dull moment.

I *seriously* doubt her writing style improved considerably after book 2 and then magically dropped off again in time for book 5.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Aug 11th, 2007 5:26pm Post subject: The Hogwarts Sorting Hat

I read books 1,2 and 5, in futile hope that "maybe the next one will be better."

You missed out two of the best books in the series - 3 and 4. I haven't finished seven yet (it's been put on hold because I can never get round to reading it) but what I have read has been brilliant so far so it could easily join 3, 4 and 5 as the best in the series. There hasn't been a dull moment.

I *seriously* doubt her writing style improved considerably after book 2 and then magically dropped off again in time for book 5.

It didn't "magically drop off" again for book 5. Book 5 was just as brilliant as the previous books. I think her writing is consistently good for all the books, it's just the overall plots that I prefer in books 3, 4 and 5. That does NOT mean I think the other books are any less good in general terms overall. They're all highly enjoyable books with great characters that I can read again and again and again and not get bored.

Assuming direct control...

AxmxZ

Posted Sat Aug 11th, 2007 5:38pm Post subject: The Hogwarts Sorting Hat

It didn't "magically drop off" again for book 5. Book 5 was just as brilliant as the previous books. I think her writing is consistently good for all the books, it's just the overall plots that I prefer in books 3, 4 and 5. That does NOT mean I think the other books are any less good in general terms overall. They're all highly enjoyable books with great characters that I can read again and again and again and not get bored.

I didn't find any of her plots particularly interesting, either. I know what happened in books 3 and 4, thanks to my best friend and fanfic, but I just can't bring myself to care. The only character I ever liked was Snape, but only in the beginning, where he was an austere, intellectual monkish figure living on the edge of good and evil .*That* was bloody sexy. But he didn't get enough text time to keep me interested in everything else, all the kiddie travails and politics and puppy romance. And then he kind of devolved into some sort of a snivelly failed Lothario, so my interest in him died as well.

I *have* read absolutely stunning fanfics about him though. So I may not like her writing or plots, but I do appreciate the idea of the whole Potter universe. It inspired a whole lot of more capable and imaginative writers. So there's not likely to be a shortage of Snape-fics for me to read. Thanks, Rowling!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Aug 11th, 2007 5:46pm Post subject: The Hogwarts Sorting Hat
I've read some brilliant fanfics too. One of them I've been trying to find again as I don't think I got to read the final chapter (that's the trouble when you start reading something incomplete and you're waiting for updates, sometimes the author loses interest or just doesn't have the time anymore. That was a problem I had with Labyrinth fanfics which were the first fics I read, I didn't take note of the completed symbols and or the last updated notes so I would read fics in 2000 and find them incomplete and untouched since 1997). It was called Goldenrod Academy about how Dudley Dursley has children and one of them was a girl who turned out to be a witch and tried to prevent her going to Hogwarts by sending her to Goldenrod Academy - a school big on discpline "Goldenrod Academy, where the rod is indeed golden." Then Harry, the Weasleys and co try to get her out of there.

jewel

Posted Sun Aug 12th, 2007 12:51pm Post subject: The Hogwarts Sorting Hat
I recently discovered some marvellous fanfics about Snape (he's my favorite character too) and been enjoying them just like Rowling's books (sometimes even more )

"The game, Mrs. Hudson, is on!"

absolutely curtains

Posted Sun Aug 12th, 2007 1:10pm Post subject: The Hogwarts Sorting Hat

I found the fifth book very difficult to read... (Not because of the big clever words. ) Mainly because the eponymous hero was acting like such a twat all the time. We're supposed to like Harry, but he was just being a total bastard!

This demonstrates it well.

The third one was my favourite... Because of the lack of the usually inevitable showdown between Harry and Voldymort.
The third book, not the third Potter Puppet Pals.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Aug 13th, 2007 10:40am Post subject: The Hogwarts Sorting Hat
Ahh Potter Puppet Pals, never get's old. Was gonna post a thread about them on one of the other boards. I'll still do that I think, share the fun.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Mon Aug 13th, 2007 8:56pm Post subject: The Hogwarts Sorting Hat
Gryffindor! Whoop!

Your in-depth results are:

Gryffindor - 14
Ravenclaw - 13
Hufflepuff - 11
Slytherin - 7

jewel

Posted Tue Aug 14th, 2007 7:52pm Post subject: The Hogwarts Sorting Hat
ohhh it seems I'm all alone between Gryffindors and Ravenclaws....
fellow snakey anyone?

"The game, Mrs. Hudson, is on!"

BogOfDeath

Posted Wed Jan 2nd, 2008 3:32am Post subject: The Hogwarts Sorting Hat
Hufflepuff - 14
Gryffindor - 11
Ravenclaw - 11
Slytherin - 8

masquerade

Posted Wed Jan 2nd, 2008 11:20am Post subject: The Hogwarts Sorting Hat
I took the really long one and got Hufflepuff, which rather surprised me! Evidently I'm just too nice for my intellect to mean anything much. X-D

nicole_21290

Posted Wed Jan 30th, 2008 6:28am Post subject: The Hogwarts Sorting Hat
I did the longer test and managed a:

83 - Ravenclaw
81 - Hufflepuff
69 - Gryffindor
32 - Slytherin

Zefla

Posted Fri Mar 7th, 2008 6:47pm Post subject: The Hogwarts Sorting Hat
<p><br>Which Hogwarts house will you be sorted into?</p>

Your in-depth results are:

Ravenclaw - 13
Hufflepuff - 12
Gryffindor - 12
Slytherin - 6

Doesn't surprise me greatly. I've always been put in Ravenclaw. Though I do keep trying for Slytherin...ah well. There's always Potions I suppose.

TheAlchemist

Posted Sat Mar 22nd, 2008 1:46am Post subject: The Hogwarts Sorting Hat
How interesting.
Slytherin - 15
Gryffindor - 13
Ravenclaw - 7
Hufflepuff - 4

Catt_H

Posted Sat May 17th, 2008 7:44pm Post subject: The Hogwarts Sorting Hat
Gryffindor - 12
Hufflepuff - 12
Ravenclaw - 12