Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Forest

Posted Fri Jan 30th, 2009 11:19am Post subject: The last book you read
As per another topic on another thread about films (somewhere) I thought I'd start a "What was the Last Book you Read" thread (which also rhymes).

I just finished Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy and it was effing marvellous. I'd seen the film "The Golden Compass" and thought it was oookay but had an inkling that the book would be brilliant. And, as ever, I was extremely correct.

Heartily recommended (especially from the library - anyone who's not a member of their local library is a nutter!).

Feel free to start a "My favourite book" thread - I wouldn't want a monopoly....

Hank Moody

Posted Fri Jan 30th, 2009 11:21am Post subject: The last book you read
I'm currently reading Richard Hammond's autobiography, but had previously finished Thief of time by Terry Pratchett.

Jarus

Posted Fri Jan 30th, 2009 1:43pm Post subject: The last book you read
I'm currently reading The Founding by Dan Abnett. I've not really delved into the sci-fi genre before, but it's quite good so far certainly a welcome respite from the dry facts I've been staring at all day.

My father continuously chastises me for not going to my local Library enough, but I just enjoy owning books and having them literally at my finger tips I always end up buying more. Although the rate I lend them to people I may as well be a Library...perhaps I should start fining people for late returns?

Hank Moody

Posted Fri Jan 30th, 2009 3:30pm Post subject: The last book you read
I'm currently reading The Founding by Dan Abnett. I've not really delved into the sci-fi genre before, but it's quite good so far certainly a welcome respite from the dry facts I've been staring at all day.

My father continuously chastises me for not going to my local Library enough, but I just enjoy owning books and having them literally at my finger tips I always end up buying more. Although the rate I lend them to people I may as well be a Library...perhaps I should start fining people for late returns?

Of course, the problem there is that libraries, like many essential services in local government, are grossly underfunded and you're lucky to find a book that doesn't have some childish scribble in it or some pages missing.

PamJH

Posted Fri Jan 30th, 2009 7:34pm Post subject: The last book you read
I finished "God is not Great" by Christopher Hitchens. I'm in the middle of three others right now - 2 of Stephen Fry's and The God Delusion."

I agree about the library. I can't get Stephen's books any other way. We have a system that allows us to borrow from libraries all over Michigan. Paperweight came from Michigan State University, Moab is from Plymouth and Liar came from Baldwin. I'm not charged anything extra for this, either. Though now that I think about it, I might be able to get his books on Ebay.

Pam

Forest

Posted Sat Jan 31st, 2009 5:44pm Post subject: The last book you read
I guess I'm just lucky because my library's pretty good. Why not get on to the people who run it & tell them to sort it out!

Jarus - I know what you mean about owning books! They just sort of....LOOK great!
And Dan Abnett used to write some good stuff for 2000AD. If I remember rightly, he created Sinister/Dexter, who were very popular.

IdeaCollector

Posted Sat Jan 31st, 2009 11:56pm Post subject: The last book you read
Alan Carr's autobiography

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Mushroomoid Miss

Posted Sun Feb 1st, 2009 12:43am Post subject: The last book you read
I finished reading Dear Fatty by Dawn French today and started reading Parky's autobiography straight afterwards. Dear Fatty was excellent. It was really funny and, at a lot of times, very touching. I'd definitely recommend it.

I've rather misunderstood Burt and his bat sperm.

Ann Brien

Posted Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 1:44am Post subject: The last book you read
I'm slowly making my way through all twenty one of Enid Blyton's "Famous Five" books, in fact I'm just past the half way mark. Given that it's forty five years since I first read each one (fortnightly trips to the local library, sometimes having to pay the odd twopence overdue fee) I'm still managing to experience that same sense of excitement and anticipation I felt as a youngster each time the four children, Julian, Dick, George (Georgina) and Anne along with their trusty dog, Timmy find themselves in yet another hair-raising, nail-biting and thoroughly exciting adventure.

Just when you're thinking that they may not escape this time along come the old friendly policemen to the rescue whereupon they handcuff and arrest the villians and drive them off to jail. The end of yet another school holiday adventure.

I love reading those books simply because it transports me back to a time when life was that bit simpler and of course back then they filled my head with lots of ideas for my own adventures. I try not to let the adult in me analyse the characters because as a child I loved them for who they were - just four happy children and their beloved dog.

huggyrei

Posted Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 10:21am Post subject: The last book you read
I've just finished reading 'Gullstruck Island' by Frances Hardinge. It's her third book, and just came out a few weeks ago, and I think it's really, really good. If anyone sees it anywhere, I recommend buying it.

Mister

Posted Sun Feb 8th, 2009 2:20pm Post subject: The last book you read
Speaker for the dead by Orson Scott Card. Great book, liked it only marginally less then Ender's game.

Beautiful thing, the destruction of words.

PamJH

Posted Sun Feb 8th, 2009 2:25pm Post subject: The last book you read
The Liar and How Starbucks Saved My Life. Don't bother with Starbucks. I read it for a book group and I think it was a waste of several hours. The Liar, however, is a different story.

Forest

Posted Mon Feb 9th, 2009 5:34pm Post subject: The last book you read
I just finished Nikki Sixx's heroin diaries. It's a wee bit on the harsh side but as rock n roll as it gets!
Perhaps not one for the ladies.....!

Mengqi bitan

Posted Thu Apr 9th, 2009 11:14pm Post subject: The last book you read
I've just finished "The Light of Day" by Graham Swift. Found it pretty disappointing, especially as "Waterland" is one of my favourite novels ever.
Graham Swift and Stephen Fry are both Cambridge Honorary Fellows so I reckon they know each other

Baker.St.Bibliophile

Posted Sat May 30th, 2009 3:20pm Post subject: The last book you read
I just finished Unnatural Death, by Dorothy L. Sayers, as part of my growing (and probably unhealthy) addiction to Lord Peter Wimsey mystery novels.
It was fantastic.